* vi in rxvt-Session really slow
@ 2011-07-08 13:55 Dieter
From: Dieter @ 2011-07-08 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I've downloaded cygwin including the rxvt-Terminal.
The local terminal with bash works great, but when I connect in a rxvt-Window to
a remote-Server via ssh and run there "vi", the vi-startup needs a few seconds...
When I use the simple Bash-Shell in the Windows-Command-Window then vi is much
faster (it opens the file instantly). Also closing vi by ":q!" needs more time
when using rxvt than simple-bash.

Why is remote vi so slow when I use rxvt? Would that be better if I use xterm
(currently not installed)?

Additional information:
I had to set
export TERM=cygwin
in my ~/.bashrc - otherwise the remote host answers
"unknown terminal type, falling back to 'dumb'"
or
"WARNING: terminal is not fully functional"

Rgds
Dieter

* Re: vi in rxvt-Session really slow
@ 2011-07-08 17:33 ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2011-07-08 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/8/2011 8:50 AM, Dieter wrote:

> Why is remote vi so slow when I use rxvt? Would that be better if I use xterm
> (currently not installed)?

I don't see this problem...

> Additional information:
> I had to set
> export TERM=cygwin
> in my ~/.bashrc - otherwise the remote host answers
> "unknown terminal type, falling back to 'dumb'"
> or
> "WARNING: terminal is not fully functional"

That is wrong, TERM should be set to xterm.

What was the value of TERM before you changed it?
--
René Berber

* Re: vi in rxvt-Session really slow
@ 2011-07-08 19:28   ` Dieter
From: Dieter @ 2011-07-08 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

René Berber <r.berber <at> computer.org> writes:

> On 7/8/2011 8:50 AM, Dieter wrote:
>
> > Why is remote vi so slow when I use rxvt? Would that be better if I use xterm
> > (currently not installed)?
>
> I don't see this problem...
>
> > Additional information:
> > I had to set
> > export TERM=cygwin
> > in my ~/.bashrc - otherwise the remote host answers
> > "unknown terminal type, falling back to 'dumb'"
> > or
> > "WARNING: terminal is not fully functional"
>
> That is wrong, TERM should be set to xterm.
>
> What was the value of TERM before you changed it?

Originally it was set to rxvt-cygwin-native which caused this error-msg.
I've found on the internet the tip to change the TERM-Variable to "cygwin" or
"xterm"... both solved my problem, but wie all of them I have the problem with
the slow vi.
"xterm" or "cygwin" doesn't change anything regarding my vi-problem.

Details to my vi-problem:
When I press Enter after "vi /etc/resolv.conf" it needs around 4 seconds to open
the vi-Editor on a multicore-machine... when I connect to the same machine using
putty or ssh in the basic-bash-console instead of the cygwin-ssh-client in a
rxvt-terminal there is no noticeable delay between pressing Enter and appearing
the vi-screen.

Any hints?

@ 2011-07-08 22:03     ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2011-07-08 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/8/2011 2:27 PM, Dieter wrote:

> Originally it was set to rxvt-cygwin-native

That will only be recognized on systems with a recent terminfo, Linux
mostly.  I change it to rxvt since I use Solaris most of the time, and
it doesn't recognize cygwin or any derivatives (of course I could modify
terminfo).

> Details to my vi-problem:
> When I press Enter after "vi /etc/resolv.conf" it needs around 4 seconds to open
> the vi-Editor on a multicore-machine... when I connect to the same machine using
> putty or ssh in the basic-bash-console instead of the cygwin-ssh-client in a
> rxvt-terminal there is no noticeable delay between pressing Enter and appearing
> the vi-screen.
>
> Any hints?

With a Windows console TERM is set to cygwin, which explains the other
answer you found.

The problem is not on Cygwin, but on the other end, whatever it is... as
I said, I don't see the problem with either Solaris or Linux (several
versions of both).

A workaround could be to use vim (which is the usual vi on Linux) or any
of the other variants of vi.

A solution depends on what the real problem is, vim has options to not
load plugins (which many times are a PITA), not use .vimrc, and to
change the terminal type; I would use those to see if the problem is
caused by any of those 3.
--
René Berber