* Windows 7
@ 2011-09-28  9:48 Bill
From: Bill @ 2011-09-28  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

It's been a while since I've used Cygwin and I'm now using on Windows 7
64bit. I need to run the WindowsXP emulation, which I suppose is normal.

Can someone point me to an FAQ or other such user docs that can make
things a little easier?

One thing I'd like to be able to do is have access to files in my home
dir using 64bit apps. Doing that seems impossible unless I've missed
something?

Thanks,

Bill

* Re: Windows 7
@ 2010-02-01 21:36         ` Brian Wilson
From: Brian Wilson @ 2010-02-01 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I stand (actually I'm sitting) corrected. :)

The reason I deleted the .sh script was because it would never run to
completion on subsequent installs.  I also forgot to add that I went though
and selected reinstall for all my packages to avoid the problem you pointed
out.  It took a while, but everything is working for me.

Sincerely,

Brian S. Wilson
Home: (678) 376-9258       Cell: (678) 232-9357     Wilson@ds.net

From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2010-02-01  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 01/29/2010 08:45 PM, Brian Wilson wrote:
> I had a similar problem upgrading on XP.  I think my issue was related to a
> heap space allocation issue which prevents the shell from running during the
> installation.  I found that failed installations left shell processes running,
> but not doing anything useful.
>
> Check the documentation as I believe there is a fix for the heap space issue.
> In my case, I killed these useless shells and that allowed the Cygwin bash
> shell to start up with out heap space errors.  I cleaned out the
> /etc/postinstall directory by removing any shell scripts (rm *.sh) and
> rerunning the setup.  Cygwin installed okay for me after that.

There's no reason to remove postinstall scripts and, in fact, very good reason
to not do so - your installation could be incomplete.  If things are working for
you and you have no complaints, there's no reason to revisit this issue but in
case others reading this thread thought this would be a good thing to try, I
wanted something on record that would recommend against it.

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

@ 2010-01-30 14:36     ` Brian Wilson
From: Brian Wilson @ 2010-01-30 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregg Levine, cygwin

I had a similar problem upgrading on XP.  I think my issue was related to a
heap space allocation issue which prevents the shell from running during the
installation.  I found that failed installations left shell processes running,
but not doing anything useful.

Check the documentation as I believe there is a fix for the heap space issue.
In my case, I killed these useless shells and that allowed the Cygwin bash
shell to start up with out heap space errors.  I cleaned out the
/etc/postinstall directory by removing any shell scripts (rm *.sh) and
rerunning the setup.  Cygwin installed okay for me after that.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Brian S. Wilson
From: Gregg Levine @ 2010-01-28 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

-----

@ 2010-01-28 18:13 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2010-01-28 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2010-01-28 16:42   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2010-01-28 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It also occurs to me that you could try doing the
install in the two alternatives step that setup
offers (if you have not already tried this):

1) download only; then
2) install from the downloaded files

I do this all the time, in case a network
connection drops or whatever. Of course you
may have already tried it ...

Best wishes -- Eliot Moss

* Re: Windows 7
@ 2010-01-28 15:13 ` Rance Hall
From: Rance Hall @ 2010-01-28 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Hirokazu Miura
<hiromiura@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I am having problems in installing cygwin on a HP Pavilion 64bits platform.
> Every attempt to install cygwin gets stuck before completion, every time
> at random location.  I have installed cygwin on various windows XP
> platforms at my work and cygwin is one of the most important system for me.
>
> I have access to internet through ATT DSL service at home.
>
> Do you think my problem is due to Windows 7 or DSL connection to the
> mirror site ?
>
> Do you know if anyone sells a CD/DVD from which I could install cygwin
> directly ?
>
> Hiro Miura

I have cygwin installed on a 64bit windows 7 hp pavilion and its
running just fine.  Ive run the installer several times (to catch
updates, etc) never a problem.

So I don't think thats your problem.

As to your comment about a DVD, not very likely since the setup.exe is
a windows tool and the rest changes fast enough that a printed DVD
would be obsolete before being shipped.

However, you can become a local mirror of cygwin and then tell your
copy of setup to install from a local path rather than an internet
path.

Several people (not me) use this method because they have several
installs of cygwin to update and they are trying to be good
"netizens."

HTH

Rance

* Windows 7