* Starting Z-shell via telnet connection to XP box
@ 2011-12-08 20:53 Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2011-12-08 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin mail list

While I can use remote desktop to get from my Solaris server to the XP box,
doing so while at some place other than the LAN, the DSL connection speed
tends to cause the RD to fail and close.

And since I don't really need a graphical connection, I figured that I would
just start the XP Pro telnet server and connect that way.  Ya, well, not so
good there either.

I want to be able to start zsh from the telnet session so that I have full
access to the cygwin stuff, specifically being able to change crontab.

But, when I enter "zsh" nothing happens.  I do not get a Z-shell prompt based
upon my Z-shell config files.  Instead the telnet session hangs.  I have to
so a ^] and quit the telnet session.

Can the cygwin tools be accessed via a telnet connection and if so how?

Thanks.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@vidiot.com | vidiot@vidiot.net            /~\ The ASCII
[I've been to Earth.  I know where it is.         ]      \ / Ribbon Campaign

* Re: Starting Z-shell via telnet connection to XP box
@ 2011-12-09 11:32 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2011-12-09 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Mike Brown (Thu, 8 Dec 2011 14:52:43 -0600)

> While I can use remote desktop to get from my Solaris server to the XP box,
> doing so while at some place other than the LAN, the DSL connection speed
> tends to cause the RD to fail and close.
>
> And since I don't really need a graphical connection, I figured that I would
> just start the XP Pro telnet server and connect that way.  Ya, well, not so
> good there either.
>
> I want to be able to start zsh from the telnet session so that I have full
> access to the cygwin stuff, specifically being able to change crontab.
>
> But, when I enter "zsh" nothing happens.  I do not get a Z-shell prompt based
> upon my Z-shell config files.  Instead the telnet session hangs.  I have to
> so a ^] and quit the telnet session.
>
> Can the cygwin tools be accessed via a telnet connection and if so how?

Use SSH

* Re: Starting Z-shell via telnet connection to XP box
@ 2011-12-09 13:23   ` Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2011-12-09 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:31:44PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> Use SSH

I installed the bitvise WinSSHD server and can connect with it.

I had to build a different start BAT file in order to get zsh started and
to use my home zsh config files.

The only issue I have left is to find out how to change their white foreground
and black background.  I want that reversed :-)

Thanks for te tip.

MB
--

@ 2011-12-09 14:11     ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2011-12-09 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Mike Brown (Fri, 9 Dec 2011 07:22:23 -0600)

> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:31:44PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> > Use SSH
>
> I installed the bitvise WinSSHD server and can connect with it.
>
> I had to build a different start BAT file in order to get zsh started and
> to use my home zsh config files.
>
> The only issue I have left is to find out how to change their white foreground
> and black background.  I want that reversed :-)
>
> Thanks for te tip.

Better use OpenSSH

* Re: Starting Z-shell via telnet connection to XP box
@ 2011-12-09 14:33       ` Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2011-12-09 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 03:10:34PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> Better use OpenSSH

And why would that be?

MB
--

@ 2011-12-09 14:43         ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2011-12-09 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Mike Brown (Fri, 9 Dec 2011 08:33:05 -0600)
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 03:10:34PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> > Better use OpenSSH
>
> And why would that be?

Okay, better is not correct. Let's call it equally good. It's free,
constantly updated, easy to setup and is integrated in your existing
Cygwin installation.

Thorsten

* Re: Starting Z-shell via telnet connection to XP box
@ 2011-12-09 15:32           ` Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2011-12-09 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 03:42:42PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> Okay, better is not correct. Let's call it equally good. It's free,
> constantly updated, easy to setup and is integrated in your existing
> Cygwin installation.

When I did an initial search in the packages for ssh, I didn't notice that the
list was truncated and therefore openssh didn't show up in the list.  The
search should not die after 30 entries, it should split it into pages.

I suppose I better update my installation.  I may be in trouble as uname says
that it is: CYGWIN_NT-5.1

    cygcheck version 1.88
    System Checker for Cygwin
    Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Red Hat, Inc.
    Compiled on Jan 20 2006

So, what is this, 1.5.x or 1.7.x?  I'm guessing 1.5.x as I do not have a fstab
file.

The main web page has the following:

"PLEASE read the User's Guide before upgrading your Cygwin installation to 1.7.
You'll be avoiding future trouble if you do this."

I found no section in the user guide regarding converting from 1.5 to 1.7.
The last thing I want to do is make my current install non-functional.

It does seem like a good idea to go to openssh, as it will also probably cure
my inverse color problem.  But, until I know what steps have to be taken to
go from 1.5 to 1.7, I ain't touching it.

MB
--

@ 2011-12-09 16:03             ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2011-12-09 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Mike Brown (Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:31:45 -0600)
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 03:42:42PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> I suppose I better update my installation. I may be in trouble as
> uname says that it is: CYGWIN_NT-5.1
>
>     cygcheck version 1.88
>     System Checker for Cygwin
>     Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Red Hat, Inc.
>     Compiled on Jan 20 2006
>
> So, what is this, 1.5.x or 1.7.x?  I'm guessing 1.5.x as I do not have a fstab
> file.

It's Windows XP (NT 5.1). uname -a should give you the full information.

> The main web page has the following:
>
> "PLEASE read the User's Guide before upgrading your Cygwin installation to 1.7.
> You'll be avoiding future trouble if you do this."
>
> I found no section in the user guide regarding converting from 1.5 to 1.7.
> The last thing I want to do is make my current install non-functional.

I upgraded when it came available via Setup.exe and I don't remember
having any problems. The longer you wait updating the more potential
problems will arise. You should update at least once per month.

Thorsten

* Re: Starting Z-shell via telnet connection to XP box
@ 2011-12-09 16:09         ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2011-12-09 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/09/11 06:33, Mike Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 03:10:34PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>> Better use OpenSSH
> And why would that be?
>
> MB
Because ssh is encrypted (WinSSHD probably is too).
Because ssh will allow you to forward X11 (WinSSHD?)
Because ssh allows you to tunnel things if you want (WinSSHD?)
Because with OpenSSH properly configured you get scp and sftp pretty
much for free.
Because ssh in Cygwin just falls into place in Cygwin and works in a
similar manner to ssh on all Linux's and Unix's.
Because you don't need to then get, install, config, update, etc. a
bunch of individualized packages all over the place!

Never understood why people do this. They get Putty (which, AFAICT,
doesn't play well with the concept of pre-shared ssh keys (in a Unix
sense) and doesn't give you scp, etc.) and then get some paid for X
server like Reflections/X or something like that, then get some WinFTP
server and WinCVS thingy, etc. Why do you want to mess with all of these
non-unix, non integrated and sometimes shell out $$ to piece together
something when all of that is available inside Cygwin and they all "play
well together"???
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
By the turn of this century, we will live in a paperless society. -

* Re: Starting Z-shell via telnet connection to XP box
@ 2011-12-09 16:09               ` Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2011-12-09 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 05:02:58PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> It's Windows XP (NT 5.1). uname -a should give you the full information.

D'Oh!  I know better, considering I've used that command for years.  Long
night.

    1.5.19(0.150/4/2) 2006-01-20 13:28 i686 Cygwin

> I upgraded when it came available via Setup.exe and I don't remember
> having any problems. The longer you wait updating the more potential
> problems will arise. You should update at least once per month.

Wow, that is way more frequent than normal :-)

I've pulled the latest setup.exe down, so I suppose I'll have to do it.
Going to remove the other sshd firt.

MB
--

@ 2011-12-09 16:35             ` Greg Chicares
From: Greg Chicares @ 2011-12-09 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2011-12-09 15:31Z, Mike Brown wrote:

> I found no section in the user guide regarding converting from 1.5 to 1.7.
> The last thing I want to do is make my current install non-functional.

You can leave your 1.5 version undisturbed and install 1.7 in parallel.
Read the instructions in this message carefully:

* Re: Starting Z-shell via telnet connection to XP box
@ 2011-12-09 17:04           ` Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2011-12-09 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 08:09:18AM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Because ssh will allow you to forward X11 (WinSSHD?)

Yes.

> Because ssh allows you to tunnel things if you want (WinSSHD?)

Yes.

> Because with OpenSSH properly configured you get scp and sftp pretty much
> for free.

I don't use either feature :-)

> Because you don't need to then get, install, config, update, etc. a bunch
> of individualized packages all over the place!

Like I mentioned, I did a search of the packages and got fooled and didn't
notice that the website only lists the first 30.  If the website did what
other sites do, and that is have multiple pages, I would have gone thru
the other pages and seen openssh.

> Never understood why people do this. They get Putty (which, AFAICT, doesn't
> play well with the concept of pre-shared ssh keys (in a Unix sense) and
> doesn't give you scp, etc.) and then get some paid for X server like
> Reflections/X or something like that, then get some WinFTP server and
> WinCVS thingy, etc. Why do you want to mess with all of these non-unix, non
> integrated and sometimes shell out $$ to piece together something when all
> of that is available inside Cygwin and they all "play well together"???

My main server is Solaris x86, soon to be replaced with Linux Fedora 14.
Cygwin is placed on the two XP boxes that deal with satellite feed capture,
editing and rendering.  Con is my friend, as well as the Z-shell scripts that
I have to do various jobs.

I have puTTy on my laptop, which is what I use to get into my Solaris server
when I am away.  Don't do X as the DSL outbound speed is too damn slow. I
do everything via text.  It is all I need.

MB
--

@ 2011-12-09 20:09             ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2011-12-09 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/9/2011 9:03, Mike Brown wrote:
>> Because with OpenSSH properly configured you get scp and sftp pretty much for free.
> I don't use either feature :-)
Maybe because you're using WinSSD! :-)

You don't use those features on your Solaris boxes? Oh wait you seem to
only have one....
>> Because you don't need to then get, install, config, update, etc. a bunch of individualized packages all over the place!
> Like I mentioned, I did a search of the packages and got fooled and didn't
> notice that the website only lists the first 30.  If the website did what
> other sites do, and that is have multiple pages, I would have gone thru
> the other pages and seen openssh.
What website? You mean http://cygwin.com/packages/? If you would have
searched for openssh or even sshd you would have found it.
>> Never understood why people do this. They get Putty (which, AFAICT, doesn't play well with the concept of pre-shared ssh keys (in a Unix sense) and doesn't give you scp, etc.) and then get some paid for X server like Reflections/X or something like that, then get some WinFTP server and WinCVS thingy, etc. Why do you want to mess with all of these non-unix, non integrated and sometimes shell out $$ to piece together something when all of that is available inside Cygwin and they all "play well together"???
> My main server is Solaris x86, soon to be replaced with Linux Fedora 14.
> Cygwin is placed on the two XP boxes that deal with satellite feed capture,
> editing and rendering.  Con is my friend, as well as the Z-shell scripts that
> I have to do various jobs.
That may be, but my rant is not aimed solely at you. I see people
everyday, with many more servers and the like at my clients getting
putty here and Reflections X there and FireFTP somewhere else...
> I have puTTy on my laptop, which is what I use to get into my Solaris server
> when I am away.
I've always had problems trying to configure putty to use pre-shared
keys. I hate typing in my password umpteen times a day!
>   Don't do X as the DSL outbound speed is too damn slow. I do everything via text.  It is all I need.
I've done X from my house to my client's site without much of a problem.
It's a little sluggish but not too bad. At home I have about a 1-3Mbps
upload speed. Exactly how slow is your DSL?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
A budget is just a method of worrying before you spend money, as well as