* Ctrl+Arrows keys in .inputrc to move a word forward/backward by default
@ 2012-02-22  6:16 ArcFi
From: ArcFi @ 2012-02-22  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been using cygwin for last 2-3 years so I've already configured my
environment.
Recently made a clean installation on a new server and found that keys
to move a word forward/backward (Ctrl+Right/Left) do not work by
default.
This shortcut works out of the box in many popular linux distributions.
Why not add this combination in the "/etc/skel/.inputrc" by default?
Think it would be a nice usability improvement.

--
ArcFi <arcfi.x@gmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 4013 bytes --]

* Re: Ctrl+Arrows keys in .inputrc to move a word forward/backward by default
@ 2012-02-22 15:03 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2012-02-22 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 02/21/2012 10:16 PM, ArcFi wrote:
> I've been using cygwin for last 2-3 years so I've already configured my
> environment.
> Recently made a clean installation on a new server and found that keys
> to move a word forward/backward (Ctrl+Right/Left) do not work by
> default.
> This shortcut works out of the box in many popular linux distributions.
> Why not add this combination in the "/etc/skel/.inputrc" by default?
> Think it would be a nice usability improvement.
I find that Alt-F and Alt-B work great and keep my fingers much closer
to "home row".

--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Do fish get cramps after eating?