* [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-11  8:33 Noel Grandin
From: Noel Grandin @ 2012-05-11  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

It seems that pretty much all unixes alias "more" to "less" these days.
It would be very nice if that was the default behaviour of cygwin.

Would save me from constantly wondering why nothing is happening when I type
"more ...."
on a newly installed box :-)

Thanks for all the great work, cygwin is a great help in a lot of places!

Regards, Noel Grandin

* RE: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-11 13:36 ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2012-05-11 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Noel Grandin

Noel Grandin sent the following at Friday, May 11, 2012 4:33 AM
>It seems that pretty much all unixes alias "more" to "less" these days.
>It would be very nice if that was the default behaviour of cygwin.
>
>Would save me from constantly wondering why nothing is happening when I
>type "more ...." on a newly installed box :-)

more.exe is supplied by the util-linux package.

- Barry

* Re: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-11 16:24   ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-05-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/11/2012 9:35 AM, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Noel Grandin sent the following at Friday, May 11, 2012 4:33 AM
>> It seems that pretty much all unixes alias "more" to "less" these days.
>> It would be very nice if that was the default behaviour of cygwin.
>>
>> Would save me from constantly wondering why nothing is happening when I
>> type "more ...." on a newly installed box :-)
>
> more.exe is supplied by the util-linux package.

And as is true of the traditional 'more', it can do less than 'less'. ;-)

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2012-05-12  1:09     ` Cyrille Lefevre
From: Cyrille Lefevre @ 2012-05-12  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Le 11/05/2012 18:23, Larry Hall (Cygwin) a écrit :
> On 5/11/2012 9:35 AM, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
>> Noel Grandin sent the following at Friday, May 11, 2012 4:33 AM
>>> It seems that pretty much all unixes alias "more" to "less" these days.
>>> It would be very nice if that was the default behaviour of cygwin.
>>>
>>> Would save me from constantly wondering why nothing is happening when I
>>> type "more ...." on a newly installed box :-)
>>
>> more.exe is supplied by the util-linux package.
>
> And as is true of the traditional 'more', it can do less than 'less'. ;-)

from http://www.slackbook.org/html/file-commands-pagers.html

about less :

"less is more, but more more than more is, so more is less less, so use
more less if you want less more."

about most :

"If less is more than more, most is more than less."

unfortunatelly, most doesn't exist yet under cygwin :-(

Regards,

Cyrille Lefevre
--
mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre-lists@laposte.net

* Re: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-12 10:58       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-05-12 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May 12 03:08, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> Le 11/05/2012 18:23, Larry Hall (Cygwin) a écrit :
> >On 5/11/2012 9:35 AM, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> >>Noel Grandin sent the following at Friday, May 11, 2012 4:33 AM

> >>more.exe is supplied by the util-linux package.
> >
> >And as is true of the traditional 'more', it can do less than 'less'. ;-)
> >

> from http://www.slackbook.org/html/file-commands-pagers.html
>
> about less :
>
> "less is more, but more more than more is, so more is less less, so
> use more less if you want less more."
>
> about most :
>
> "If less is more than more, most is more than less."
>
> unfortunatelly, most doesn't exist yet under cygwin :-(

http://cygwin.com/setup.html

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-15  0:21         ` Cyrille Lefevre
From: Cyrille Lefevre @ 2012-05-15  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Le 12/05/2012 12:57, Corinna Vinschen a écrit :
> On May 12 03:08, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

>>> And as is true of the traditional 'more', it can do less than 'less'. ;-)
>>>

>> from http://www.slackbook.org/html/file-commands-pagers.html
>>
>> about less :
>>
>> "less is more, but more more than more is, so more is less less, so
>> use more less if you want less more."
>>
>> about most :
>>
>> "If less is more than more, most is more than less."
>>
>> unfortunatelly, most doesn't exist yet under cygwin :-(
>
> http://cygwin.com/setup.html

well, and then ?!

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=%2Fusr%2Fbin%2Fmost
=>  Found 0 matches for /usr/bin/most

however, someone have made it available somewhere

Cyrille@pcvista /home/Cyrille
v2$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.0 pcvista 1.7.14(0.260/5/3) 2012-04-25 09:41 i686 Cygwin

Cyrille@pcvista /home/Cyrille
v2$ most --help
MOST version 5.0.0 (S-Lang version 2.2.4)
  *Note: This executable was compiled against S-Lang 2.2.2
Usage:
most [-1Cbcdkstvw] [+/string] [+line number] [+s] [+d] file...
  where: -1:  assume VT100 terminal. (VMS only)
         -b:  Startup in binary mode.
         -C:  disable color support
         -c:  Make searches case sensitive.
         -d:  Do not display the \ wrap marker when wrapping lines.
         -M:  Do not attempt to mmap files.
         -s:  Squeeze out excess blank lines.
         -t:  Display tabs as ^I.  If this option is immediately followed
                by an integer, the integer sets the tab width.
         -u:  Disable UTF-8 mode
         -v:  Do not interpret backspace formatting characters.
         -w:  Wrap lines.
         -z:  No gunzip-on-the-fly.
         +/string:
              Search for string
         +line number
              Start up at specified line number.
         +d:  Allow file deletion.
         +s:  Secure Mode-- no edit, cd, shell, and reading files not
                already listed on the command line.
         +u:  Enable UTF-8 mode.

Example: most -ct4 +82 keymap.c
  makes searches case sensitive, sets tabwidth to 4, and displays the file
  keymap.c starting at line 82.

hopefully it will make it available for everyone :-)

Regards,

Cyrille Lefevre
--

@ 2012-05-15  0:24           ` Cyrille Lefevre
From: Cyrille Lefevre @ 2012-05-15  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Le 15/05/2012 02:21, Cyrille Lefevre a écrit :
> Le 12/05/2012 12:57, Corinna Vinschen a écrit :
>> On May 12 03:08, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
>>>
>>> unfortunatelly, most doesn't exist yet under cygwin :-(
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/setup.html
>
> well, and then ?!

forgive me, I tought you redirect me on setup.exe ;-)

Regards,

Cyrille Lefevre
--

@ 2012-05-15 15:39 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2012-05-15 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 05/11/2012 01:33 AM, Noel Grandin wrote:
> Hi
>
> It seems that pretty much all unixes alias "more" to "less" these days.
> It would be very nice if that was the default behaviour of cygwin.
>
> Would save me from constantly wondering why nothing is happening when
> I type
> "more ...."
> on a newly installed box :-)
>
> Thanks for all the great work, cygwin is a great help in a lot of places!
>
> Regards, Noel Grandin

I second this!

Granted I know how to alias more to less and I do so for my environment.
But I'm often working in or helping others in Cygwin in their
environment and most people, let's face it, have no environment and fear
the command line so! Or, as is the current case with my client, have a
generic user that is used for things like building and we go about
setting up Cygwin on multiple build machines but we end up with plain
installs with no environment and no aliasing of more -> less. Having to
run around to groups of machines further configuring things like these
often used aliases is a pain. And every time a new build machine is spun
up and Cygwin installed (via a .cmd file I cooked up) the alias is
missing on that new machine. It would be nice if this alias was a
default for Cygwin.

(Yes I know I can change my "package" to do customizations after
installing Cygwin but I have not yet had the time to further enhance my
"Cygwin Install" package...)
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no

* Re: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-15 17:07   ` David Sastre Medina
From: David Sastre Medina @ 2012-05-15 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 08:39:22AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 05/11/2012 01:33 AM, Noel Grandin wrote:
> >It seems that pretty much all unixes alias "more" to "less" these days.
> >It would be very nice if that was the default behaviour of cygwin.
> >
> I second this!
>
> Granted I know how to alias more to less and I do so for my
> environment. But I'm often working in or helping others in Cygwin in
> their environment and most people, let's face it, have no
> environment and fear the command line so! Or, as is the current case
> with my client, have a generic user that is used for things like
> building and we go about setting up Cygwin on multiple build
> machines but we end up with plain installs with no environment and
> no aliasing of more -> less. Having to run around to groups of
> machines further configuring things like these often used aliases is
> a pain. And every time a new build machine is spun up and Cygwin
> installed (via a .cmd file I cooked up) the alias is missing on that
> new machine. It would be nice if this alias was a default for
> Cygwin.
>
> (Yes I know I can change my "package" to do customizations after
> installing Cygwin but I have not yet had the time to further enhance
> my "Cygwin Install" package...)

I understand some people expect "less" when they type "more".
There are other pagers as well: w3m, most, pg (some of them not
available in cygwin, though). I use my own home-brewed "most" pager
all the time, for instance.
No alias is enforced from config files (note also that this affects
only bash), so you'd have to tweak some file anyways in order to have
that alias as a default on your automated installations.
I think it would be way better if pagers registered themselves (via
postinstallation script) in the alternatives system. That way, only an
'alternatives --config pager' command would suffice to fullfil your
purpose. This, of course, results in a system-wide configuration, but
that's what you seem to be looking for.

--
Primary key fingerprint: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179  60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56

* Re: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-15 17:28   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-05-15 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 08:39:22AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>On 05/11/2012 01:33 AM, Noel Grandin wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> It seems that pretty much all unixes alias "more" to "less" these days.
>> It would be very nice if that was the default behaviour of cygwin.
>>
>> Would save me from constantly wondering why nothing is happening when
>> I type
>> "more ...."
>> on a newly installed box :-)
>>
>> Thanks for all the great work, cygwin is a great help in a lot of places!
>
>I second this!
>Granted I know how to alias more to less and I do so for my environment.
>But I'm often working in or helping others in Cygwin in their
>environment and most people, let's face it, have no environment and fear
>the command line so!

If you want to help others in your environment then create your own
helper scripts to do so.

If you want an alias then create one.  If you actually want more then
install it.  It is in the distro.  We're not going to do something
different from Linux just because your customers fear the command line
and can't be bothered to add their own aliases.  People presumably
trundle along on Fedora, Gentoo, and SUSE just fine so they should be
able to surmount this obstacle on Cygwin too.

I am not adding a symlink for more.

cgf

* Re: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-15 17:54     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2012-05-15 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/15/2012 10:28 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> If you want to help others in your environment then create your own
> helper scripts to do so.
I already do - all the time.
> If you want an alias then create one.
I do that too.
> If you actually want more then install it.  It is in the distro.
I didn't even infer I wanted more(1).
> We're not going to do something different from Linux just because your customers fear the command line and can't be bothered to add their own aliases.
I'm often that customer too. By that I mean often I log into a new
machine or as another user or a generic user to find nobody bothered to
set up anything for it. It's not that I, or anybody else, "can't be
bothered" rather we are asking for not having the bothering thing at
all. I can be bothered. I've been bothered many, many times and I've
fixed and changed this. But still I hit it all the time.
> People presumably trundle along on Fedora, Gentoo, and SUSE just fine so they should be able to surmount this obstacle on Cygwin too.
My whole response was based upon the line in the OP of "It seems that
pretty much all unixes alias "more" to "less" these days". I took that
literally to be correct. If it's not then I guess never mind. After all
I always set up my aliases for me so more always = less, for me. Cept
when I have to deal with other people's environments under Cygwin where
more's not = less, by default.
> I am not adding a symlink for more.
I didn't even ask you to add a symlink. Look at the subject. The OP was
asking for an alias.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Please, Lord, let me prove that winning the lottery won't spoil me.

* Re: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-15 19:54       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-05-15 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:53:42AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>On 5/15/2012 10:28 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> If you want to help others in your environment then create your own
>> helper scripts to do so.
>I already do - all the time.
>> If you want an alias then create one.
>I do that too.
>> If you actually want more then install it.  It is in the distro.
>I didn't even infer I wanted more(1).
>>We're not going to do something different from Linux just because your
>>customers fear the command line and can't be bothered to add their own
>>aliases.
>
>I'm often that customer too. By that I mean often I log into a new
>machine or as another user or a generic user to find nobody bothered to
>set up anything for it. It's not that I, or anybody else, "can't be
>bothered" rather we are asking for not having the bothering thing at
>all. I can be bothered. I've been bothered many, many times and I've
>fixed and changed this. But still I hit it all the time.
>
>>People presumably trundle along on Fedora, Gentoo, and SUSE just fine
>>so they should be able to surmount this obstacle on Cygwin too.
>
>My whole response was based upon the line in the OP of "It seems that
>pretty much all unixes alias "more" to "less" these days".  I took that
>literally to be correct.  If it's not then I guess never mind.  After
>all I always set up my aliases for me so more always = less, for me.
>Cept when I have to deal with other people's environments under Cygwin
>where more's not = less, by default.
>>I am not adding a symlink for more.
>I didn't even ask you to add a symlink.  Look at the subject.  The OP
>was asking for an alias.

Ok, fair enough.  We're also not going to add an alias for more to every
single shipping shell.

As was mentioned in the first response to the original post there is
actually a more in util-linux package.  That should be reason enough
not to add a simple alias/symlink.

cgf

* Re: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-15 23:58         ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2012-05-15 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Ok, fair enough. We're also not going to add an alias for more to
> every single shipping shell. As was mentioned in the first response to
> the original post there is actually a more in util-linux package. That
> should be reason enough not to add a simple alias/symlink.
I guess that's also fair enough...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?

* Re: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-17 23:15           ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2012-05-17 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/15/2012 4:57 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 5/15/2012 12:53 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> Ok, fair enough. We're also not going to add an alias for more to
>> every single shipping shell. As was mentioned in the first response
>> to the original post there is actually a more in util-linux package.
>> That should be reason enough not to add a simple alias/symlink.
> I guess that's also fair enough...
Went to update my Cygwin archive and decided to include more in my local
package dir. So I search for it and I find nothing but xmore. I tried
looking in Utils and couldn't find anything about util-linux or even
linux. Went cygwin.com and Search Packages. Looked for more. I don't
find any package that has it. I do see things about less.

OK so where's more hiding?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Your child may be an honor student but you're still an idiot.

* Re: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-17 23:23             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-05-17 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 04:13:32PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>On 5/15/2012 4:57 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> On 5/15/2012 12:53 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> Ok, fair enough. We're also not going to add an alias for more to
>>> every single shipping shell. As was mentioned in the first response
>>> to the original post there is actually a more in util-linux package.
>>> That should be reason enough not to add a simple alias/symlink.
>> I guess that's also fair enough...
>Went to update my Cygwin archive and decided to include more in my local
>package dir. So I search for it and I find nothing but xmore. I tried
>looking in Utils and couldn't find anything about util-linux or even
>linux. Went cygwin.com and Search Packages. Looked for more. I don't
>find any package that has it. I do see things about less.
>
>OK so where's more hiding?

Wow.  We're still talking about this?  It really isn't that hard.

Just type "util-linux" in the search box for setup.exe.

If you're looking for the package which holds more.exe then search for
more.exe in the package search.  You'll then find util-linux.

There are enough packages in the distro which include the word "more"
that you won't find util-linux in the first thirty matches.  It is on
the main search page though if you scroll down.

* Re: [feature] alias "more" to "less"
@ 2012-05-18  0:50               ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2012-05-18  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Wow.  We're still talking about this?  It really isn't that hard.
No, we stopped for a while, then we resumed.
> Just type "util-linux" in the search box for setup.exe.
I typed "more" (and more.exe) into the search box in setup. Normally I
don't search for packages or even executables, I just install Cygwin as
it comes and add on some things I tend to use.
> If you're looking for the package which holds more.exe then search for more.exe in the package search.  You'll then find util-linux.
Yes, but I wasn't looking for util-linux - I was looking for more. I see
it now and I should have connected the dots. Sorry.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why do croutons come in airtight packages? It's just stale bread to