* Customize setup program.
@ 2007-11-05 11:07 João Pedro Oliveira
From: João Pedro Oliveira @ 2007-11-05 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

I am doing an installation program for my students and want to install
cygwin as well.
I am using Nullsoft NSIS and I want to install only a minimum set (even
smaller then the minimum recommended). In the previous setup program, I
just copied a minimum installation from an installed version on my
computer. I would like to go a bit further and I have this question:

Is it possible to call the setup program in quiet mode (or not quiet)
and pass to the setup the packages we want to install? I would not like
the user "lost" in all the steps of the cygwin setup...

How can I do this?

Best regards,
João

* Re: Customize setup program.
@ 2007-11-05 12:43 ` Hussein Patwa
From: Hussein Patwa @ 2007-11-05 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I've never really took that close of a look at the cygwin installer, but
I do know that all of the 'major' installers (installshield, nullsoft,
etc) usually have a /Q or /S switch for silent installs.  You would then
need to define a config file with all the parameters for the install.
I'm thinking maybe you do the install manually, find the setup.ini (or
whichever) file is created with the install log and use that as a
starting point.

Someone will probably be along with a more definitive answer, but
hopefully this is somewhat in the ball park for what you're looking for.

Cheers,

H.

--
  Hussein Patwa
  patwanet@gmail.com

* Re: Customize setup program.
@ 2007-11-05 16:16 ` Tony Richardson
From: Tony Richardson @ 2007-11-05 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

João Pedro Oliveira <joao.oliveira <at> lx.it.pt> writes:
> Is it possible to call the setup program in quiet mode (or not quiet)
> and pass to the setup the packages we want to install? I would not like
> the user "lost" in all the steps of the cygwin setup...

You can define your own package in the setup.ini file that is
in the Base category and have it "require" the packages that
you want automatically selected.

For example, I have a small file that looks like this:

@ UEBASE
sdesc: "Required packages for UE programming courses."
ldesc: "Required packages for UE programming courses."
category: Base
requires: a2ps gcc gcc-core gcc-g++ gcc-g77 gcc-gdc gcc-gpc gcc-java ...
version: 1.0.0-0

The requires field actually contains about 100 entries.  I just
append this file to the setup.ini file before running setup

   cat ue_setup.ini >> setup.ini

Then run setup and all of your desired packages are automatically
selected for installation.  It is not quite an unattended install,
but it is just a "click-thru" install.

You can get the initial list of required packages by setting up
one machine with the standard setup and then getting the list
of installed packages from the /etc/setup/installed.db file.

I tweak this from semester to semester to add and remove packages
before we re-image our lab machines.  More importantly, I provide
it to students to ensure that they have all of the necessary software
on their personal machines for software development.

Tony Richardson