* How to access a cygwin folder mounted with 'managed' option?
@ 2008-04-17 19:53 Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2008-04-17 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I want to use gnus to access maildir folders, which are cygwin folders mounted
with 'managed' option. With 'managed' option, cygwin filesystem in a window
machine can be case-sensitive and allow some special characters used in maildir
files.

I tried with the latest EmacsW32 but it does not seem to be able to access
managed mounts as they are.

Is there a way that EmacsW32 can access case-sensitive files on managed mounts
as we can in cygwin?

--
Jinhyok

* Re: How to access a cygwin folder mounted with 'managed' option?
@ 2008-04-17 20:03 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2008-04-17 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jinhyok Heo <heo <at> stanford.edu> writes:

> I tried with the latest EmacsW32 but it does not seem to be able to access
> managed mounts as they are.

Of course it can't, since EmacsW32 isn't a cygwin app.

> Is there a way that EmacsW32 can access case-sensitive files on managed mounts
> as we can in cygwin?

Use cygwin's emacs instead.

--
Eric Blake

* Re: How to access a cygwin folder mounted with 'managed' option?
@ 2008-04-17 20:40   ` Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2008-04-17 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eric Blake <ebb9 <at> byu.net> writes:

> Jinhyok Heo <heo <at> stanford.edu> writes:
>
> > I tried with the latest EmacsW32 but it does not seem to be able to
> > access managed mounts as they are.
>
> Of course it can't, since EmacsW32 isn't a cygwin app.

Since it is known that how managed mounts treat special characters and
uppercases,  EmacsW32 may provide an interface with which users can use
unix-type filenames in certain cygwin folders.

> > Is there a way that EmacsW32 can access case-sensitive files on
> > managed mounts as we can in cygwin?
>
> Use cygwin's emacs instead.

Cygwin emacs needs X, which I do not want to run.

--

@ 2008-04-17 20:59     ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2008-04-17 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

2008/4/17, Jinhyok Heo:
> Since it is known that how managed mounts treat special characters and
>  uppercases,  EmacsW32 may provide an interface with which users can use
>  unix-type filenames in certain cygwin folders.

I've written a cygpath wrapper for a slime interface to my w32 xemacs.
But I forgot its name and where it is stored. On the emacs wiki most likely.

>  > > Is there a way that EmacsW32 can access case-sensitive files on
>  > > managed mounts as we can in cygwin?
>  >
>  > Use cygwin's emacs instead.
>
> Cygwin emacs needs X, which I do not want to run.

xemacs or emacs -nox
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/              http://murbreak.at/

* Re: How to access a cygwin folder mounted with 'managed' option?
@ 2008-04-18  1:01       ` Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2008-04-18  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Reini Urban <rurban <at> x-ray.at> writes:

> 2008/4/17, Jinhyok Heo:
> > Since it is known that how managed mounts treat special characters and
> >  uppercases,  EmacsW32 may provide an interface with which users can use
> >  unix-type filenames in certain cygwin folders.
>
> I've written a cygpath wrapper for a slime interface to my w32 xemacs.
> But I forgot its name and where it is stored. On the emacs wiki most likely.

I searched 'cygpath' on the emacswiki, but I could not find something relevant.
Your code treats special characters properly?

> >  > > Is there a way that EmacsW32 can access case-sensitive files on
> >  > > managed mounts as we can in cygwin?
> >  >
> >  > Use cygwin's emacs instead.
> >
> > Cygwin emacs needs X, which I do not want to run.
>
> xemacs or emacs -nox

As I said, both need X, which I do not want.

--

@ 2008-04-18  5:39         ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2008-04-18  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

2008/4/17, Jinhyok Heo:
> Reini Urban writes:
>  > > Cygwin emacs needs X, which I do not want to run.
>  >
>  > xemacs or emacs -nox
>
> As I said, both need X, which I do not want.

What do you thing the -nox means?
"no X"

XEmacs also works fine without X, if you don't set the DISPLAY
variable in your env.
--

@ 2008-04-18  8:33           ` Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2008-04-18  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Reini Urban <rurban <at> x-ray.at> writes:

> 2008/4/17, Jinhyok Heo:
> > Reini Urban writes:
> >  > > Cygwin emacs needs X, which I do not want to run.
> >  >
> >  > xemacs or emacs -nox
> >
> > As I said, both need X, which I do not want.
>
> What do you thing the -nox means?
> "no X"
>
> XEmacs also works fine without X, if you don't set the DISPLAY
> variable in your env.

I know what you mean. However, running xemacs or emacs in console is often
inconvenient. It is all the more so to me since I want to use several
non-latin languages.

--

@ 2008-04-18  9:50             ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2008-04-18  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Re: How to access a cygwin folder mounted with 'managed' option?
@ 2008-04-20  1:31               ` Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2008-04-20  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Henry S. Thompson <ht <at> inf.ed.ac.uk> writes:

> Please try what has been suggested.  On cygwin, xemacs w/o DISPLAY set
> is _not_ the same as xemacs -nw:  it uses native Windoz display
> functionality and will look just as it would using X.

Thanks! It works!

--
Jinhyok