* Regression with 1.7.20-1
@ 2013-06-10  1:06 Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2013-06-10  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Since upgrading to the package "cygwin 1.7.20-1" a command such as this no
longer works

  ffmpeg -codecs | grep mov

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds

Two workarounds I have found

1. run command like this

  timeout 1 ffmpeg -codecs | grep mov

2. Downgrade to package "cygwin 1.7.18-1"

* Re: Regression with 1.7.20-1
@ 2013-06-10  8:06 ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2013-06-10  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: svnpenn

Hi Steven,

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Steven Penny  wrote:
> Since upgrading to the package "cygwin 1.7.20-1" a command such as this no
> longer works
>
>   ffmpeg -codecs | grep mov

"Does not work" is not a particularly helpful error report
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html#respect).
Please read and follow the guidelines below:

Csaba

* Re: Regression with 1.7.20-1
@ 2013-06-10  8:28   ` Steven Penny
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Steven Penny @ 2013-06-10  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csaba Raduly; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> "Does not work" is not a particularly helpful error report

Neither is adding nothing more than a "hand slap".

To add more information, running the pipe

  ffmpeg -codecs | grep mov

with 1.7.20-1 just hangs forever, even will ignore Ctrl-C

* Re: Regression with 1.7.20-1
@ 2013-06-10  8:58     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-06-10  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 10 03:28, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> > "Does not work" is not a particularly helpful error report
>
> Neither is adding nothing more than a "hand slap".
>
> To add more information, running the pipe
>
>   ffmpeg -codecs | grep mov
>
> with 1.7.20-1 just hangs forever, even will ignore Ctrl-C

There's no ffmpeg in the Cygwin distro.  Is that a Cygwin or a native
tool?  I guess the latter, in which case you may want to try the
latest developer snapshot 2013-06-08 from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Regression with 1.7.20-1
@ 2013-06-10 13:58     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-06-10 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 03:28:02AM -0500, Steven Penny wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:
>> "Does not work" is not a particularly helpful error report
>
>Neither is adding nothing more than a "hand slap".

Csaba included useful information.  You snipped it from your response.

* Re: Regression with 1.7.20-1
@ 2013-06-10 14:38     ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2013-06-10 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Is that a Cygwin or a native tool? I guess the latter, in which case you may
> want to try the latest developer snapshot 2013-06-08 from
> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

cygwin1-20130608.dll.bz2

does fix it.

* Re: Regression with 1.7.20-1
@ 2013-07-11 17:05       ` Patrick Jane
From: Patrick Jane @ 2013-07-11 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> There's no ffmpeg in the Cygwin distro.  Is that a Cygwin or a native
> tool?  I guess the latter, in which case you may want to try the
> latest developer snapshot 2013-06-08 from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

I am pretty sure that I am seeing the same bug with 1.7.20-1 that Steven
reports.

In my case, I have 4 bash scripts that run in parallel processes.  2 of
those scripts launch Java programs.  The bug that I see is that Ctrl-C fails
to kill the Java processes, when it used to work.  The Java command, of
course, is not built into cygwin but is the Windows program (which you can
call from cygwin).  I am running Win 7 pro 64 bit.

Being nervous about installing snapshots, I followed Steven's workaround and
just reran setup.exe, selecting for Base --> cygwin the suggested previous
version, 1.7.18-1, and installed that.  That old version works perfectly:
Ctrl-C behaves exactly as expected.

Corinna, do you know when the next prd worthy release of cygwin is likely to
come out?  Or do I need to monitor http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/
every day to find out?

I note that Ctrl-C bugs seem to occur semi-regularly with cygwin:

I wonder why?  Complex mismatch between unix and Windows signal handling
that cygwin must bridge?

* Re: Regression with 1.7.20-1
@ 2013-07-11 18:56         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-11 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 03:09:11PM +0000, Patrick Jane wrote:
>On Jun 10 03:28, Steven Penny wrote:
>> ...To add more information, running the pipe
>>
>>   ffmpeg -codecs | grep mov
>>
>> with 1.7.20-1 just hangs forever, even will ignore Ctrl-C
>

>Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>> There's no ffmpeg in the Cygwin distro.  Is that a Cygwin or a native
>> tool?  I guess the latter, in which case you may want to try the
>> latest developer snapshot 2013-06-08 from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>

>I am pretty sure that I am seeing the same bug with 1.7.20-1 that Steven
>reports.
>
>In my case, I have 4 bash scripts that run in parallel processes.  2 of
>those scripts launch Java programs.  The bug that I see is that Ctrl-C fails
>to kill the Java processes, when it used to work.  The Java command, of
>course, is not built into cygwin but is the Windows program (which you can
>call from cygwin).  I am running Win 7 pro 64 bit.
>
>Being nervous about installing snapshots, I followed Steven's workaround and
>just reran setup.exe, selecting for Base --> cygwin the suggested previous
>version, 1.7.18-1, and installed that.  That old version works perfectly:
>Ctrl-C behaves exactly as expected.
>
>Corinna, do you know when the next prd worthy release of cygwin is likely to
>come out?  Or do I need to monitor http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/
>every day to find out?

There is no reason to be nervous about installing snapshots if you think
a new release will solve a problem.  A snapshot potentially always
equals a new release.  Snapshots never break things so severely that you
can't recover by just reinstalling cygwin.

And, yes, you should follow cygwin or cygwin-announce for update
announcements.

>I note that Ctrl-C bugs seem to occur semi-regularly with cygwin:
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-03/msg00654.html
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-04/msg00001.html
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-04/msg00365.html

Those are likely all the same issue.

>I wonder why?  Complex mismatch between unix and Windows signal handling
>that cygwin must bridge?

http://cygwin.com/acronyms#WJM

cgf

* Re: Regression with 1.7.20-1
@ 2013-07-24  0:46           ` Patrick Jane
From: Patrick Jane @ 2013-07-24  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> There is no reason to be nervous about installing snapshots if you think
> a new release will solve a problem.  A snapshot potentially always
> equals a new release.  Snapshots never break things so severely that you
> can't recover by just reinstalling cygwin.

I checked out the FAQ on snapshot installation
	http://www.cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.setup.snapshots
and it looks to be enough pain that I want to stick with setup.exe, if at
all possible.  (I custom install several extra packages beyond the base
installation, but don't want to install all, and I really like how setup.exe
has memory of that.)

> And, yes, you should follow cygwin or cygwin-announce for update
announcements.

1.7.21 came out last week
	http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2013-07/msg00017.html
but I do not see a ctrl-c fix in it.

Even better, 1.7.22 just came out yesterday
	http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2013-07/msg00030.html
and I see this tantalizing bug fix:
	- Fix issue with raise() not causing the process to exit with a signal
	  status.  Also only set "dumped core" flag when it's a "kernel" signal.
	  See: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2013-07/msg00251.html
That sounds a lot like a fix for the Ctrl-C bug discussed here.

I will gladly install 1.7.22 (heck, I will likely deinstall everything and
try the 64 bit version) to check out if it fixes the bug if there is an easy
way that I can go back to 1.7.18 using setup.exe.

I am having a bit of a hard time, however, finding a mirror that has 1.7.18
and which works with setup.exe.  Some candidate I tried:
	http://mirrors.xmission.com/cygwin/release/cygwin/
	http://mirror.isoc.org.il/pub/cygwin/release/cygwin/
	http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/index.html#cygwinmirror
Unfortunately, every time I try to run setup.exe and add one of the above
mirrors I get an error message saying something about "Unable to get setup.ini".

If anyone else has seen 1.7.22 fix their Ctrl-C bug, I will take your word
for it and try 1.7.22 myself.