* octave: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
@ 2014-01-24 23:11 Paul
From: Paul @ 2014-01-24 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I use both Windows and cygwin X11 gvim -- mostly the former out of
convenience and speed.  I often shell out for filtering, and I'm careful to
ensure that my vimrc shell setting directs commands to cygwin's bash:

   let &shell='set HOME=c:\cygwin\home\'.$USERNAME.'&
                                          \ c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -i'

However, I recently started to get the following message when sending
expressions to octave:

   /usr/bin/octave-3.6.2.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?:

I know there there isn't anything *fundamentally* wrong because when I
start up cygwin normally via the mintty shortcut, octave starts fine.  I
thought it was a $PATH problem, so I rejigged .bashrc to ensure that the
path is the same regardless of whether I start bash from the mintty
shortcut or shell out from Windows gvim.  This does not solve the problem.
I confirmed that $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is empty regardless of how bash is
started up, so I don't think that's the problem.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing the octave error if not $PATH and
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  Again, there is no problem when invoked from a bash
shell that is started from the mintty shortcut.  Furthermore, there was no
problem at all before a few days ago.  The only big change is that my admin
deleted Matlab 2012a, but I have Matlab 2013a (in a different path).  But
the fact that octave runs from a normally started bash tells me that this
should not be a show stopper (if in fact it's even the cause).

Note that I work in a locked down environment, so I can't upgrade anything
and downloading stuff is hit-and-miss.

* Re: octave: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
@ 2014-01-24 23:21 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-24 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/24/2014 6:11 PM, Paul wrote:
> I use both Windows and cygwin X11 gvim -- mostly the former out of
> convenience and speed.  I often shell out for filtering, and I'm careful to
> ensure that my vimrc shell setting directs commands to cygwin's bash:
>
>     let &shell='set HOME=c:\cygwin\home\'.$USERNAME.'&
>                                            \ c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -i'
>
> However, I recently started to get the following message when sending
> expressions to octave:
>
>     /usr/bin/octave-3.6.2.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?:
>     cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I know there there isn't anything *fundamentally* wrong because when I
> start up cygwin normally via the mintty shortcut, octave starts fine.  I
> thought it was a $PATH problem, so I rejigged .bashrc to ensure that the
> path is the same regardless of whether I start bash from the mintty
> shortcut or shell out from Windows gvim.  This does not solve the problem.
> I confirmed that $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is empty regardless of how bash is
> started up, so I don't think that's the problem.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be causing the octave error if not $PATH and
> $LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  Again, there is no problem when invoked from a bash
> shell that is started from the mintty shortcut.  Furthermore, there was no
> problem at all before a few days ago.  The only big change is that my admin
> deleted Matlab 2012a, but I have Matlab 2013a (in a different path).  But
> the fact that octave runs from a normally started bash tells me that this
> should not be a show stopper (if in fact it's even the cause).
>
> Note that I work in a locked down environment, so I can't upgrade anything
> and downloading stuff is hit-and-miss.

Have you tried running rebaseall?

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-01-24 23:46   ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2014-01-24 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> Have you tried running rebaseall?

I just tried it (http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/Rebaseall).  No joy.  Mind
you, I also don't have admin privileges and cygwin was installed when I had
them.  I never noticed any error messages, but things went by very fast.
The last screen full of things rebased showed no error messages.

* Re: octave: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
@ 2014-01-25  6:27     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-01-25  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 25/01/2014 00:46, Paul wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>> Have you tried running rebaseall?
>
> I just tried it (http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/Rebaseall).  No joy.  Mind
> you, I also don't have admin privileges and cygwin was installed when I had
> them.  I never noticed any error messages, but things went by very fast.
> The last screen full of things rebased showed no error messages.

I bet on a PATH issue. likely /usr/lib/lapack in not on it when
you start "bash -i" .

As normally it works on your system, try with "bash -l"

Regards
Marco

* Re: octave: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
@ 2014-01-25  6:36 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-01-25  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Paul writes:
> However, I recently started to get the following message when sending
> expressions to octave:
>
>    /usr/bin/octave-3.6.2.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?:
>    cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm almost certain that Octave can't find its lapack libraries.  The
standard profile scripts add this to the very end of the path and
depending on what is in your windows path you may hide them.  There are
also two environment variables (sorry, can't check right now) that need
to be set for lapack to be happy and you may not source the
/etc/profile.d script that sets them depending on how you start bash.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: octave: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
@ 2014-01-27 16:09   ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2014-01-27 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> nexgo.de> writes:
> I'm almost certain that Octave can't find its lapack libraries.  The
> standard profile scripts add this to the very end of the path and
> depending on what is in your windows path you may hide them.  There
> are also two environment variables (sorry, can't check right now)
> that need to be set for lapack to be happy and you may not source
> the /etc/profile.d script that sets them depending on how you start
> bash.

Yes, the lack of /usr/lib/lapack was in fact causing the problem.  I'm not
sure why I didn't catch that as I was certain that I made the paths the
same in both cases.

Thanks!