* Issues with Cygwin on Windows 8.1
@ 2014-05-08  2:15 Dato
From: Dato @ 2014-05-08  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

    I just set up Cygwin for x86 on my Windows 8.1 (64-bit) machine, and
have been seeing the following issues:

1. When doing 'git clone', some of the expected messages don't show up. For
example, this is what I see:

  datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
  $ which git
  /usr/bin/git

  datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
  $ git clone https://github.com/libimobiledevice/libplist.git
  Cloning into 'libplist'...

  datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
  $

As you can see, the 'git clone' command doesn't display the stats such as
objects received, deltas resolved, etc.

2. When invoking python, I don't get the python's prompt back:

  datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
  $ which python
  /usr/bin/python

  datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
  $ python

It basically just hangs there. I have to ^C to get the shell prompt back.

3. I have a shell script that runs just fine on an older Cygwin installation
on a Vista machine. But on this newer Cygwin installation, I get the
following error message:

  datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox/libplist
  $ ./autogen.sh
  ./autogen.sh: line 16: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Any idea on what may be causing these issues and suggestion on how to fix
them will be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

* Re: Issues with Cygwin on Windows 8.1
@ 2014-05-08  3:09 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2014-05-08  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/7/2014 10:11 PM, Dato wrote:
>      I just set up Cygwin for x86 on my Windows 8.1 (64-bit) machine, and
> have been seeing the following issues:

> 2. When invoking python, I don't get the python's prompt back:
>
>    datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
>    $ which python
>    /usr/bin/python
>
>    datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
>    $ python
>
> It basically just hangs there. I have to ^C to get the shell prompt back.

I've run python without seeing such problems.
Outgoing scp completes the transfer but requires follow-up by ctrl-C or
it will require closing the shell.  Incoming scp doesn't exhibit this
problem.

Delays in returning to shell prompt after running a .exe built under
cygwin (thus requiring several cygwin dlls) seemed to be caused partly
by  spyware and anti-spyware activity.  Win8.x seems to be spyware
playground (some of that came pre-installed by Acer).

--
Tim Prince

* Re: Issues with Cygwin on Windows 8.1
@ 2014-05-08  3:15 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-05-08  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 05/07/2014 10:11 PM, Dato wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      I just set up Cygwin for x86 on my Windows 8.1 (64-bit) machine, and
> have been seeing the following issues:
>
> 1. When doing 'git clone', some of the expected messages don't show up. For
> example, this is what I see:
>
>    datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
>    $ which git
>    /usr/bin/git
>
>    datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
>    $ git clone https://github.com/libimobiledevice/libplist.git
>    Cloning into 'libplist'...
>
>    datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
>    $
>
> As you can see, the 'git clone' command doesn't display the stats such as
> objects received, deltas resolved, etc.
>
> 2. When invoking python, I don't get the python's prompt back:
>
>    datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
>    $ which python
>    /usr/bin/python
>
>    datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox
>    $ python
>
> It basically just hangs there. I have to ^C to get the shell prompt back.
>
> 3. I have a shell script that runs just fine on an older Cygwin installation
> on a Vista machine. But on this newer Cygwin installation, I get the
> following error message:
>
>    datod_000@Q9450 ~/sandbox/libplist
>    $ ./autogen.sh
>    ./autogen.sh: line 16: syntax error: unexpected end of file
>
> Any idea on what may be causing these issues and suggestion on how to fix
> them will be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure about the other issues but this one sounds a bit like the file
in question contains Windows EOL characters.  Try running d2u on the
scripts and see if that helps.  If you continue to have problems, please
follow the problem reporting guidelines at the link below for your next
round on this issue.

Larry

A: Yes.