* New Git v2.0.4 build to test
@ 2014-08-06 10:21 Adam Dinwoodie
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2014-08-06 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I'm in the long-running process of producing an up-to-date build of Git
for Cygwin.  I think I'm now (finally) close to having a build ready to
upload to be installed via the Cygwin setup programs, but in the
meantime I'd appreciate my new build getting some additional testing.

You can download my latest build of Git v2.0.4 at
http://tastycake.net/~adam/cygwin/.

To install, download the package(s) you're interested in using, and
unpack them using `tar -xaC/ -f <tarball-name>` from a Cygwin shell.
Make sure to check the corresponding setup.hint files to ensure you have
all the required dependencies first.

This build isn't final, but it does work in at least the mainline use
cases; I've been using it for a couple of days for my day-to-day work.
However there are still some problems I'm aware of (no `git grep -P`
support, `git fetch` occasionally hangs in the test suites in 64-bit)
and there are probably some problems I haven't identified yet.

I'm currently in the process of working through the Git test suite
output to identify missing features, since it's the best way I've found
to identify features the Git compile process has quietly skipped since a
required library wasn't installed.  Once that's done, and any remaining
problems are ironed out (or at least identified and I've decided it's
safe to ignore them), I'll hopefully be good to upload the builds for
general consumption.

If anyone's really interested in following my progress at home, or
building for themselves based of my latest code, you can follow along at
my GitHub repository at https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git.

Adam

* Re: New Git v2.0.4 build to test
@ 2014-08-06 14:18 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-06 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Adam,

On Aug  6 11:21, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the long-running process of producing an up-to-date build of Git
> for Cygwin.  I think I'm now (finally) close to having a build ready to
> upload to be installed via the Cygwin setup programs, but in the
> meantime I'd appreciate my new build getting some additional testing.
>
> You can download my latest build of Git v2.0.4 at
> http://tastycake.net/~adam/cygwin/.
>
> To install, download the package(s) you're interested in using, and
> unpack them using `tar -xaC/ -f <tarball-name>` from a Cygwin shell.
> Make sure to check the corresponding setup.hint files to ensure you have
> all the required dependencies first.
>
> This build isn't final, but it does work in at least the mainline use
> cases; I've been using it for a couple of days for my day-to-day work.
> However there are still some problems I'm aware of (no `git grep -P`
> support,

Sounds like libpcre-devel is missing on your machine.

> `git fetch` occasionally hangs in the test suites in 64-bit)
> and there are probably some problems I haven't identified yet.
>
> I'm currently in the process of working through the Git test suite
> output to identify missing features, since it's the best way I've found
> to identify features the Git compile process has quietly skipped since a
> required library wasn't installed.

If the git build system uses autotools, you might have an easier time by
scanning the config.log file created during the configure call.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: New Git v2.0.4 build to test
@ 2014-08-06 15:02   ` JonY
From: JonY @ 2014-08-06 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/6/2014 22:18, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> `git fetch` occasionally hangs in the test suites in 64-bit)
>> and there are probably some problems I haven't identified yet.
>>
>> I'm currently in the process of working through the Git test suite
>> output to identify missing features, since it's the best way I've found
>> to identify features the Git compile process has quietly skipped since a
>> required library wasn't installed.
>
> If the git build system uses autotools, you might have an easier time by
> scanning the config.log file created during the configure call.

It does, I have been using git 2.x since the last 2 months. And yes,
PCRE is an optional requirement.

* Re: New Git v2.0.4 build to test
@ 2014-08-06 23:15   ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2014-08-06 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 04:18:41PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug  6 11:21, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> > This build isn't final, but it does work in at least the mainline use
> > cases; I've been using it for a couple of days for my day-to-day work.
> > However there are still some problems I'm aware of (no `git grep -P`
> > support,
>
> Sounds like libpcre-devel is missing on your machine.

Agreed.  I've just spent a while playing whack-a-mole with problems of
this ilk and thought I'd try seeing if there where any willing
volunteers to do some live testing to spot problems the test suites miss
before I offer my builds to the unsuspecting public.

> > `git fetch` occasionally hangs in the test suites in 64-bit)
> > and there are probably some problems I haven't identified yet.
> >
> > I'm currently in the process of working through the Git test suite
> > output to identify missing features, since it's the best way I've found
> > to identify features the Git compile process has quietly skipped since a
> > required library wasn't installed.
>
> If the git build system uses autotools, you might have an easier time by
> scanning the config.log file created during the configure call.

It does, and doing that trawl picked up a number of missing libraries.
Nonetheless looking through the tests that are being skipped due to
missing dependencies is highlighting a few things like this that I
managed to miss when looking at the configure output.

* Re: New Git v2.0.4 build to test
@ 2014-08-07  3:08 ` Robert Bu
From: Robert Bu @ 2014-08-07  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Adam Dinwoodie wrote on 2014/8/6 18:21:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the long-running process of producing an up-to-date build of Git
> for Cygwin.  I think I'm now (finally) close to having a build ready to
> upload to be installed via the Cygwin setup programs, but in the
> meantime I'd appreciate my new build getting some additional testing.
>
> You can download my latest build of Git v2.0.4 at
> http://tastycake.net/~adam/cygwin/.
>
> To install, download the package(s) you're interested in using, and
> unpack them using `tar -xaC/ -f <tarball-name>` from a Cygwin shell.
> Make sure to check the corresponding setup.hint files to ensure you have
> all the required dependencies first.
>
> This build isn't final, but it does work in at least the mainline use
> cases; I've been using it for a couple of days for my day-to-day work.
> However there are still some problems I'm aware of (no `git grep -P`
> support, `git fetch` occasionally hangs in the test suites in 64-bit)
> and there are probably some problems I haven't identified yet.
>
> I'm currently in the process of working through the Git test suite
> output to identify missing features, since it's the best way I've found
> to identify features the Git compile process has quietly skipped since a
> required library wasn't installed.  Once that's done, and any remaining
> problems are ironed out (or at least identified and I've decided it's
> safe to ignore them), I'll hopefully be good to upload the builds for
> general consumption.
>
> If anyone's really interested in following my progress at home, or
> building for themselves based of my latest code, you can follow along at
> my GitHub repository at https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git.
>
> Adam
>
> --

Hi Adam,

I tried your git with repo.
RS-I9E3U8R4:[~/repo/test]> repo --version
repo version r1.2.7
        (from ssh://repo.realtek.com:29418/repo.git)
repo launcher version 1.22
        (from /cygdrive/d/cygwin/home/robert_bu/bin/repo)
git version 2.0.4
Python 2.7.8 (default, Jul 25 2014, 14:04:36)
[GCC 4.8.3]

When I tried to initialize the repo, I got some error:
 From ssh://repo.xxx.com:29418/test/manifest
  * [new branch]      master     -> origin/master
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/cygdrive/d/repo/test/.repo/repo/main.py", line 500, in <module>
     _Main(sys.argv[1:])
   File "/cygdrive/d/repo/test/.repo/repo/main.py", line 476, in _Main
     result = repo._Run(argv) or 0
   File "/cygdrive/d/repo/test/.repo/repo/main.py", line 155, in _Run
     result = cmd.Execute(copts, cargs)
   File "/cygdrive/d/repo/test/.repo/repo/subcmds/init.py", line 390, in
Execute
     self._SyncManifest(opt)
   File "/cygdrive/d/repo/test/.repo/repo/subcmds/init.py", line 239, in
_SyncManifest
     m.Sync_LocalHalf(syncbuf)
   File "/cygdrive/d/repo/test/.repo/repo/project.py", line 1170, in
Sync_LocalHalf
     self._InitWorkTree()
   File "/cygdrive/d/repo/test/.repo/repo/project.py", line 2222, in
_InitWorkTree
     copy_all=False)
   File "/cygdrive/d/repo/test/.repo/repo/project.py", line 2205, in
_ReferenceGitDir
     os.symlink(os.path.relpath(src, os.path.dirname(dst)), dst)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

My Cygwin environment:
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 RS-I9E3U8R4 1.7.31(0.272/5/3) 2014-07-25 11:26 x86_64 Cygwin

Do you have any idea?

B.R.
Robert

* Re: New Git v2.0.4 build to test
@ 2014-08-10 21:24   ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2014-08-10 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 11:07:54AM +0800, Robert Bu wrote:
> Adam Dinwoodie wrote on 2014/8/6 18:21:
> >I'm in the long-running process of producing an up-to-date build of Git
> >for Cygwin.  I think I'm now (finally) close to having a build ready to
> >upload to be installed via the Cygwin setup programs, but in the
> >meantime I'd appreciate my new build getting some additional testing.
>
> I tried your git with repo.
> RS-I9E3U8R4:[~/repo/test]> repo --version
> repo version r1.2.7
>        (from ssh://repo.realtek.com:29418/repo.git)
> repo launcher version 1.22
>        (from /cygdrive/d/cygwin/home/robert_bu/bin/repo)
> git version 2.0.4
> Python 2.7.8 (default, Jul 25 2014, 14:04:36)
> [GCC 4.8.3]
>
> When I tried to initialize the repo, I got some error:
> From ssh://repo.xxx.com:29418/test/manifest
>  * [new branch]      master     -> origin/master
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> <snip>
>   File "/cygdrive/d/repo/test/.repo/repo/project.py", line 2205, in
> _ReferenceGitDir
>     os.symlink(os.path.relpath(src, os.path.dirname(dst)), dst)
> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
>
> My Cygwin environment:
> CYGWIN_NT-6.1 RS-I9E3U8R4 1.7.31(0.272/5/3) 2014-07-25 11:26 x86_64 Cygwin
>
> Do you have any idea?

Not really.  I don't even know what "repo" is, for a start, let alone
how it interacts with Git and/or Cygwin.  It looks like a third-party
tool, but that's all I can tell.

If you can tell me what the values of `src` and `dst` are when you hit
that error, that could give me a pointer as to what's going on.  Maybe
repo has a debugging mode; if not you'll probably be able to just edit
`project.py` to add some extra logging.

I take it this previously worked with the version of Git you got from
the regular Cygwin installers?  Did you uninstall those before you
installed my builds?

My initial suspicion is that this is either a difference between Git
v1.7.9 and v2.0.4 -- there're a lot of differences between those two
versions -- or possibly a missing package since my build is based off
Yaakov's Cygwin Ports version, which split out git-cvs, git-debuginfo,
git-email and gitweb.

* Re: New Git v2.0.4 build to test
@ 2014-08-11  1:48     ` Robert Bu
From: Robert Bu @ 2014-08-11  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Adam Dinwoodie wrote on 2014/8/11 5:24:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 11:07:54AM +0800, Robert Bu wrote:
>> Adam Dinwoodie wrote on 2014/8/6 18:21:
>>> I'm in the long-running process of producing an up-to-date build of Git
>>> for Cygwin.  I think I'm now (finally) close to having a build ready to
>>> upload to be installed via the Cygwin setup programs, but in the
>>> meantime I'd appreciate my new build getting some additional testing.
>>
>> I tried your git with repo.
>> RS-I9E3U8R4:[~/repo/test]> repo --version
>> repo version r1.2.7
>>         (from ssh://repo.realtek.com:29418/repo.git)
>> repo launcher version 1.22
>>         (from /cygdrive/d/cygwin/home/robert_bu/bin/repo)
>> git version 2.0.4
>> Python 2.7.8 (default, Jul 25 2014, 14:04:36)
>> [GCC 4.8.3]
>>
>> When I tried to initialize the repo, I got some error:
>>  From ssh://repo.xxx.com:29418/test/manifest
>>   * [new branch]      master     -> origin/master
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> <snip>
>>    File "/cygdrive/d/repo/test/.repo/repo/project.py", line 2205, in
>> _ReferenceGitDir
>>      os.symlink(os.path.relpath(src, os.path.dirname(dst)), dst)
>> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
>>
>> My Cygwin environment:
>> CYGWIN_NT-6.1 RS-I9E3U8R4 1.7.31(0.272/5/3) 2014-07-25 11:26 x86_64 Cygwin
>>
>> Do you have any idea?
>
> Not really.  I don't even know what "repo" is, for a start, let alone
> how it interacts with Git and/or Cygwin.  It looks like a third-party
> tool, but that's all I can tell.
"repo" is a tool from Google to manage the source of Android.

> If you can tell me what the values of `src` and `dst` are when you hit
> that error, that could give me a pointer as to what's going on.  Maybe
> repo has a debugging mode; if not you'll probably be able to just edit
> `project.py` to add some extra logging.
>
> I take it this previously worked with the version of Git you got from
> the regular Cygwin installers?  Did you uninstall those before you
> installed my builds?
>
> My initial suspicion is that this is either a difference between Git
> v1.7.9 and v2.0.4 -- there're a lot of differences between those two
> versions -- or possibly a missing package since my build is based off
> Yaakov's Cygwin Ports version, which split out git-cvs, git-debuginfo,
> git-email and gitweb.
I suspect that this problem is with the symlink handling of Cygwin, not
git itself.

* Re: New Git v2.0.4 build to test
@ 2014-08-11 10:47       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-11 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug 11 09:48, Robert Bu wrote:
> Adam Dinwoodie wrote on 2014/8/11 5:24:
> >My initial suspicion is that this is either a difference between Git
> >v1.7.9 and v2.0.4 -- there're a lot of differences between those two
> >versions -- or possibly a missing package since my build is based off
> >Yaakov's Cygwin Ports version, which split out git-cvs, git-debuginfo,
> >git-email and gitweb.
> I suspect that this problem is with the symlink handling of Cygwin, not git
> itself.

How so?  Care to elaborate?

@ 2014-08-12  8:15 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-08-12  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Adam Dinwoodie <adam <at> dinwoodie.org> writes:
> If anyone's really interested in following my progress at home, or
> building for themselves based of my latest code, you can follow along at
> my GitHub repository at https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git.

I've been using this for about a week now and have not hit upon any snags so
far.

Regards,
Achim.