* Configure second sshd on the same machine
@ 2014-08-14 16:27 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-08-14 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

For building 32bit packages I've set up an additional installation on the
same server.  To use it from the outside (like) I'm trying to configure a
second sshd on the server.  So I've installed a cygserver23 and sshd32
service with otherwise identical setup to their 64bit brethren and bumped
the port sshd listens on to 3222.  The services are starting without any
hitch, the port is listening and I can log in via public key or password as
I chose.  The only problem: after sending the command to the new ssh
session, the server closes the connection, claiming that the client had
disconnected.  the client gets an exit code 5.  Does that ring a bell with
anyone?   I can't find any error in the config.  Even when I shut down the
64bit installation completely and let sshd run on the standard port I'm
getting the same result.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Configure second sshd on the same machine
@ 2014-08-14 16:43 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-08-14 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On 08/14/2014 12:27 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> For building 32bit packages I've set up an additional installation on the
> same server.  To use it from the outside (like) I'm trying to configure a
> second sshd on the server.  So I've installed a cygserver23 and sshd32
> service with otherwise identical setup to their 64bit brethren and bumped
> the port sshd listens on to 3222.  The services are starting without any
> hitch, the port is listening and I can log in via public key or password as
> I chose.  The only problem: after sending the command to the new ssh
> session, the server closes the connection, claiming that the client had
> disconnected.  the client gets an exit code 5.  Does that ring a bell with
> anyone?   I can't find any error in the config.  Even when I shut down the
> 64bit installation completely and let sshd run on the standard port I'm
> getting the same result.

The only time I've seen that is when I start the server in debug mode.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-08-14 16:55   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-08-14 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> The only time I've seen that is when I start the server in debug mode.

That's not the problem.  If I create /etc/nologin, I get the message back,
so even that part of the connection works.

But here's one step further: in debug mode I can actually run a single
command.  I can't run a shell since apparently the sshd is unable to locate
a tty. Hmmm....

@ 2014-08-14 18:50     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-08-14 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz, cygwin

Greetings, Achim Gratz!

>> The only time I've seen that is when I start the server in debug mode.

> That's not the problem.  If I create /etc/nologin, I get the message back,
> so even that part of the connection works.

> But here's one step further: in debug mode I can actually run a single
> command.  I can't run a shell since apparently the sshd is unable to locate
> a tty. Hmmm....

Did you checked the $PATH of a running server? 64- and 32-bit installations
should not cross $PATH's. (It's kinda obvious, but still important enough to
check thoroughly.)

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Configure second sshd on the same machine
@ 2014-08-14 19:18       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-08-14 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin writes:
> Did you checked the $PATH of a running server? 64- and 32-bit installations
> should not cross $PATH's. (It's kinda obvious, but still important enough to
> check thoroughly.)

Yes I did.  That is all correctly set up, the error seems to be a
failure to allocate a tty (in debug mode sshd complains about an
"invalid file descriptor" -- sorry I can't copy the actual error message
since I've gone home for today).

@ 2014-08-15  6:32 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-08-15  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> NexGo.DE> writes:
> For building 32bit packages I've set up an additional installation on the
> same server.  To use it from the outside (like) I'm trying to configure a
> second sshd on the server.  So I've installed a cygserver23 and sshd32
> service with otherwise identical setup to their 64bit brethren and bumped
> the port sshd listens on to 3222.

After some back and forth and restarting the services many times I've now
ran into the problem that login in via tcsh on the 64bit sshd would also get
no tty (login via bash and then exec a "tcsh -l" still works).  There is
some interaction going on between the 64bit and 32bit world that I don't
understand, most likely via one of the two service users (cyg_server and
sshd) that have been set up from 64bit.  I've just removed the 32bit
services and rebooted the server due to security updates and the 64bit sshd
reverted back to normal after that.  I can provide an additional service
user for cyg_server32, but for the sshd user I'm stuck with a single account
unless I go and patch the sshd.

If someone has got this working I'd appreciate a short note on exactly how.
 In fact I was planning to have three separate Cygwin installations (a build
environment for 32bit and 64bit plus a 64bit user installation) and three
sshd running on different ports providing remote access to all of them.  The
maddening thing is that it looks like I'm 98% there...

Regards,
Achim.