* pdfnup ignores ~/.pdfjam.conf
@ 2014-12-03 23:01 Paul
From: Paul @ 2014-12-03 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm using pdfjam that comes with 64-bit cygwin's
texlive-collection-binextra package, dated 29 May 2013.  I have the
following in my ~/.pdfjam.conf:

   paper='letterpaper'
   nup='1x2'
   landscape='landscape'
   frame='true'

I invoke pdfjam using

   pdfnup filename.pdf

and the messages show that the ~/.pdfjam.conf is being read, as are
the switches therein.

  pdfjam: This is pdfjam version 2.08.
  pdfjam: Reading any site-wide or user-specific defaults...
              ##
              ## From /home/User.Name/.pdfjam.conf:
              ##
              paper='letterpaper'
              nup='1x2'
              landscape='landscape'
              frame='true'
  pdfjam: Effective call for this run of pdfjam:
          /bin/pdfjam --suffix nup --nup '2x1'
             --landscape -- filename.pdf -
  pdfjam: Calling pdflatex...
  pdfjam: Finished.  Output was to
             '/home/User.Name/tmp/filename-nup.pdf'.

The "Effective call" above shows that ~/.pdfjam.conf is being ignored,
even though the switch settings are being read.  The output confirms
this.  However, if I specify the switch settings in the pdfnup
statement itself, they are accepted.

What am I doing wrong in setting up ~/.pdfjam.conf?

If all is correct, does anyone else see this problem?

P.S. In a corporate environment, updating packages is problematic.

* Re: pdfnup ignores ~/.pdfjam.conf
@ 2014-12-04 12:31 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-12-04 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/3/2014 6:01 PM, Paul wrote:
> I'm using pdfjam that comes with 64-bit cygwin's
> texlive-collection-binextra package, dated 29 May 2013.  I have the
> following in my ~/.pdfjam.conf:
>
>     paper='letterpaper'
>     nup='1x2'
>     landscape='landscape'
>     frame='true'
>
> I invoke pdfjam using
>
>     pdfnup filename.pdf
>
> and the messages show that the ~/.pdfjam.conf is being read, as are
> the switches therein.
>
>    pdfjam: This is pdfjam version 2.08.
>    pdfjam: Reading any site-wide or user-specific defaults...
>                ##
>                ## From /home/User.Name/.pdfjam.conf:
>                ##
>                paper='letterpaper'
>                nup='1x2'
>                landscape='landscape'
>                frame='true'
>    pdfjam: Effective call for this run of pdfjam:
>            /bin/pdfjam --suffix nup --nup '2x1'
>               --landscape -- filename.pdf -
>    pdfjam: Calling pdflatex...
>    pdfjam: Finished.  Output was to
>               '/home/User.Name/tmp/filename-nup.pdf'.
>
> The "Effective call" above shows that ~/.pdfjam.conf is being ignored,
> even though the switch settings are being read.  The output confirms
> this.  However, if I specify the switch settings in the pdfnup
> statement itself, they are accepted.

I've never used pdfnup, but it's a shell script whose last line is

   exec pdfjam --suffix nup --nup 2x1 --landscape "$@"

So it's explicitly supplying options that will override the settings in
~/.pdfjam.conf.  This is consistent with the documentation for pdfnup.  The
latter doesn't mention ~/.pdfjam.conf; it says to supply command line options to
override the defaults.

Ken

* Re: pdfnup ignores ~/.pdfjam.conf
@ 2014-12-04 16:05   ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2014-12-04 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:
|On 12/3/2014 6:01 PM, Paul wrote:
|> I'm using pdfjam that comes with 64-bit cygwin's
|> texlive-collection-binextra package, dated 29 May 2013.  I have the
|> following in my ~/.pdfjam.conf:
|>
|>     paper='letterpaper'
|>     nup='1x2'
|>     landscape='landscape'
|>     frame='true'
|>
|> I invoke pdfjam using
|>
|>     pdfnup filename.pdf
|>
|> and the messages show that the ~/.pdfjam.conf is being read, as are
|> the switches therein.

   <...snip...>

|> The "Effective call" above shows that ~/.pdfjam.conf is being
|> ignored, even though the switch settings are being read.  The
|> output confirms this.  However, if I specify the switch settings in
|> the pdfnup statement itself, they are accepted.
|
| I've never used pdfnup, but it's a shell script whose last line is
|
|    exec pdfjam --suffix nup --nup 2x1 --landscape "$ <at> "
|
| So it's explicitly supplying options that will override the settings
| in ~/.pdfjam.conf.  This is consistent with the documentation for
| pdfnup.  The latter doesn't mention ~/.pdfjam.conf; it says to
| supply command line options to override the defaults.

Shucks.  Thanks for sleuthing that out.  Looks like I'll have to
create my own variation of the script.  Or just create an alias for
pdfnup.

* Re: pdfnup ignores ~/.pdfjam.conf
@ 2014-12-04 16:15     ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2014-12-04 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Paul <Paul.Domaskis <at> gmail.com> writes:
|Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:
|>
|> I've never used pdfnup, but it's a shell script whose last line is
|>
|>    exec pdfjam --suffix nup --nup 2x1 --landscape "$ <at> "
|>
|> So it's explicitly supplying options that will override the settings
|> in ~/.pdfjam.conf.  This is consistent with the documentation for
|> pdfnup.  The latter doesn't mention ~/.pdfjam.conf; it says to
|> supply command line options to override the defaults.
|
| Shucks.  Thanks for sleuthing that out.  Looks like I'll have to
| create my own variation of the script.  Or just create an alias for
| pdfnup.

Or just directly invoke pdfjam (what was I thinking).