* .tar.gz
@ 1997-07-27 10:58 Justin Hopkins
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Justin Hopkins @ 1997-07-27 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Can someone tell me how to untar, and un-zip a file with
this extension, using gnu-win32's tools? Thanks.

Justin Hopkins

-

* RE: .tar.gz
@ 1997-07-27 14:23 ` Chris Green
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Green @ 1997-07-27 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Hopkins; +Cc: gnu-win32

tar -zxvf foo.tar.gz

Chris
On 27-Jul-97 Justin Hopkins wrote:
>Can someone tell me how to untar, and un-zip a file with
>this extension, using gnu-win32's tools? Thanks.
>
>Justin Hopkins
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing),
>send a message to
>"gnu-win32-request@cygnus.com" with one line of text:
>"help".

-

* Re: .tar.gz
@ 1997-07-27 16:26 ` Darren Young
From: Darren Young @ 1997-07-27 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Hopkins; +Cc: gnu-win32

gzip -d *.gz, then tar -xvf filename.tar. Get the book Unix for Dummies.

== Darren Young              == Cirrus Technologies, Inc. ==
== youngd@cirrusnet.com      == info@cirrusnet.net        ==
== www.cirrusnet.com/~youngd == www.cirrusnet.net         ==
==            And God said, "Let there be Quake."         ==

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Justin Hopkins wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to untar, and un-zip a file with
> this extension, using gnu-win32's tools? Thanks.
>
> Justin Hopkins
>
> -

-

* Re: .tar.gz
@ 1997-07-27 21:09 ` Tim Davidson
From: Tim Davidson @ 1997-07-27 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

> Can someone tell me how to untar, and un-zip a file with
> this extension, using gnu-win32's tools? Thanks.
>
> Justin Hopkins

Try

    tar xzf file.tar.gz

If you are not using GNU tar then you may have to unzip the file
before untarring

    gunzip -c file.tar.gz | tar xf -

Tim

Tim Davidson                     E-mail:  davidson@hrl.com.au
Mathematical Modeller
HRL Technology Pty Ltd           Phone (Voice): 61 3 9565 9895
677 Springvale Road                    (FAX)  : 61 3 9565 9777
Mulgrave Victoria 3170
AUSTRALIA

* Re: .tar.gz
@ 1997-07-28  2:24   ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 1997-07-28  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>If you are not using GNU tar then you may have to unzip the file
>before untarring
>
>    gunzip -c file.tar.gz | tar xf -

Last time I checked (version b17.1), this did not work,
because pipes were opened in text mode, not binary mode.
Instead I had to use

     gunzip file.tar.gz
     tar xf - file.tar

Has this changed since b17.1?

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: < http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh >   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"

* Re: .tar.gz
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-28  7:00 ` David Means
From: David Means @ 1997-07-28  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Hopkins; +Cc: gnu-win32

Justin Hopkins wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to untar, and un-zip a file with
> this extension, using gnu-win32's tools? Thanks.
>
> Justin Hopkins
>
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message

Or, just get WinZip 6.2.  It'll ungzip it, and untar it.  But, command
line is more fun!

David Means
mailto:dmeans@bellsouth.net
-

* Re: .tar.gz
@ 1997-07-28  9:59     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-07-28  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 199707280923.TAA12004@murlibobo.cs.mu.OZ.AU >,
Fergus Henderson  <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
>>If you are not using GNU tar then you may have to unzip the file
>>before untarring
>>
>>    gunzip -c file.tar.gz | tar xf -
>
>Last time I checked (version b17.1), this did not work,
>because pipes were opened in text mode, not binary mode.
>Instead I had to use
>
>     gunzip file.tar.gz
>     tar xf - file.tar
>
>Has this changed since b17.1?

I don't think so.  But using the 'z' option to gnutar works as it
always has:

	tar xzf file.tar.gz

There has been at least one copy of bash floating around which was
compiled with O_BINARY as the default for open.  That would allow the pipe
version above to work.
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."

* Re: .tar.gz
@ 1997-07-28 11:23   ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-07-28 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32; +Cc: gnu-win32

David Means <dmeans@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Or, just get WinZip 6.2.  It'll ungzip it, and untar it.

A warning - WinZip (as of 6.3 build 4.1) doesn't notice some corruptions in
gzipped files - I've reported this to Nico Mak and it will hopefully be
fixed before 6.3 is released.

Pete Jordan
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Horus Communications
http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/

* Re: .tar.gz
@ 1997-07-28 20:59       ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 1997-07-28 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

cgf@bbc.com (Chris Faylor) writes:

>In article < 199707280923.TAA12004@murlibobo.cs.mu.OZ.AU >,
>Fergus Henderson  <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
>>>    gunzip -c file.tar.gz | tar xf -
>>
>>Last time I checked (version b17.1), this did not work,
>>because pipes were opened in text mode, not binary mode.
>>Instead I had to use
>>
>>     gunzip file.tar.gz
>>     tar xf - file.tar
>>
>>Has this changed since b17.1?
>
>I don't think so.  But using the 'z' option to gnutar works as it
>always has:

Yes, but the 'z' option to tar is not portable, so I can't use that. :-(

--

@ 1997-08-04  8:25 marcus
From: marcus @ 1997-08-04  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bwomack; +Cc: gnu-win32

Brian David Womack <bwomack@ptc.com> wrote:
> Very good point.  I've felt that this debate about gzip being
> non-portable was bogus as well.  Every UNIX and PC I've been
> using has had a cross-platform compile of gzip.  Never had
> a problem.

I had thought that the issue wasn't the use of gzip/gunzip itself, but the
-z flag to tar, which causes gzip/gunzip to be invoked if using gnu tar, but
may do other things on other versions of tar.  I don't think that anybody
has questioned gzipping archives as being non-portable, just how to handle
them.
-

* Re: .tar.gz
@ 1997-08-01 10:20 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-08-01 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I don't see how anyone could ever argue that gzip is "non-portable".
In fact that isn't what this thread is about.  Of course it is "portable";
it's got something called a "configure" script which goes to great pains to
ensure that it will run on as many platforms as possible.

The point that was being made is that 'gzip' is not distributed, by
default, with many computer systems.  Most UNIX distributions do have a
'compress' program, however.  That doesn't mean that compress is more
"portable" but it does mean that it is more widely available.

The original poster was not saying that the compress code was more
"portable".  He was pointing out that if you expect to find 'gzip' on
every UNIX platform you'll be disappointed.

In article <01BC9DC5.447A11A0.bwomack@ptc.com>,

--

@ 1997-07-31 15:25 Brian David Womack
From: Brian David Womack @ 1997-07-31 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'jazz@softway.com', dahms; +Cc: gnu-win32

Hail Jason!

Very good point.  I've felt that this debate about gzip being
non-portable was bogus as well.  Every UNIX and PC I've been
using has had a cross-platform compile of gzip.  Never had
a problem.

 Brian Womack                       Parametric Technology Corp
 801-588-4611/4650 Voice/FAX                   bwomack@ptc.com

On Wednesday, July 30, 1997 4:33 PM, Jason Zions [SMTP:jazz@softway.com] wrote:
> > But g*zip is not portable, either, only *compress is "standard" on unix.
> > You can just as well install gtar, under that name, too (or link on Linux).
>
> gzip/gunzip are a helluva lot more portable than compress/uncompress;
> the code is universally available, and unencumbered by the Unisys patent
> on LZW compression. The requirement for a patent license to ship
> compress has driven us away from providing it; we use gzip/gunzip.
>
> Jason Zions
> Softway Systems Inc
> http://www.OpenNT.com

-

* Re: .tar.gz
@ 1997-07-31  8:09 ` Jason Zions
From: Jason Zions @ 1997-07-31  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dahms; +Cc: gnu-win32

> But g*zip is not portable, either, only *compress is "standard" on unix.
> You can just as well install gtar, under that name, too (or link on Linux).

gzip/gunzip are a helluva lot more portable than compress/uncompress;
the code is universally available, and unencumbered by the Unisys patent
on LZW compression. The requirement for a patent license to ship
compress has driven us away from providing it; we use gzip/gunzip.

(It's worth noting that the FSF holds that the Unisys patent applies to
LZW compression, not decompression; thus, gzip won't use LZW
compression, but gunzip can uncompress files compressed with LZW.)

Jason Zions
Softway Systems Inc
http://www.OpenNT.com

-

* Re: .tar.gz
@ 1997-07-30  8:33 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-07-30  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 009B7FFD.653E8040.20198@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de >,
 <dahms@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
>Hi Fergus, you wrote:
>
>:>>     gunzip file.tar.gz
>:>>     tar xf - file.tar
>
>:>I don't think so.  But using the 'z' option to gnutar works as it
>:>always has:
>:
>:Yes, but the 'z' option to tar is not portable, so I can't use that. :-(
>
>But g*zip is not portable, either, only *compress is "standard" on unix.
>You can just as well install gtar, under that name, too (or link on Linux).

Good point!

Also, for the uninitiated, the above example is wrong anyway.  It really
should be:

	gunzip file.tar.gz
	tar xf file.tar

But, really, just use "tar xzf file.tar.gz".

:-)
THIS ASSUMES THAT YOU HAVE GNUTAR AVAILABLE! DO NOT USE THIS COMMAND
WITH ANYTHING BUT GNU TAR OR YOU WILL GET AN ERROR MESSAGE THAT YOU MAY
NOT BE ABLE TO DEAL WITH.  POSSIBLE EMOTIONAL DAMAGE MAY RESULT.
:-)
--

@ 1997-07-29 22:40 ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 1997-07-29 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dahms; +Cc: gnu-win32

dahms@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de, you wrote:
> Hi Fergus, you wrote:
>
> : Yes, but the 'z' option to tar is not portable, so I can't use that. :-(
>
> But g*zip is not portable, either, only *compress is "standard" on unix.
> You can just as well install gtar, under that name, too (or link on Linux).

We distribute our software only in .tar.gz form.  In order to execute
it, the user must have unpacked it first, and to unpack it, they must
have g*zip (and tar).  But they might not have GNU tar.

Also, if they happen to not have gzip, the error message "gzip: command
not found" will be pretty clear.  Whereas if we invoke tar with the 'z'
option, it might just do the wrong thing.  E.g. on the system I'm posting
this from:

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: < http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh >   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"