* Perl5.004_01 patch for b18
@ 1997-07-29 11:38 aldham
From: aldham @ 1997-07-29 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I am trying to build perl5.004_01 with b18 gnuwin32 , and was
pointed to using a patch at www.tiac.net/users/cfg . I get a lot
of "Hunk #1 failed " type errors from patch -p1 -n < cygperl5.004_01.pat
and when I run sh Configure for perl, I get a lot of errors about
missing files & directories, and a warning that THIS PACKAGE SEEMS
TO BE INCOMPLETE . (their caps, not mine). Is there a patch for the
patch?

--
Danny Aldham           SCO Ace , MCSE , JAPH , DAD
I don't need to hide my e-mail address, I broke my sendmail.

* Re: Perl5.004_01 patch for b18
@ 1997-07-30  6:08 ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-07-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32; +Cc: gnu-win32

Danny Aldham <aldham@lennon.postino.com> said:
> I am trying to build perl5.004_01 with b18 gnuwin32 , and was
> pointed to using a patch at www.tiac.net/users/cfg . I get a lot
> of "Hunk #1 failed " type errors from patch -p1 -n < cygperl5.004_01.pat
> and when I run sh Configure for perl, I get a lot of errors about
> missing files & directories, and a warning that THIS PACKAGE SEEMS
> TO BE INCOMPLETE . (their caps, not mine). Is there a patch for the
> patch?

Like I said in c.l.p.misc, I had to split the patchfile up. I did it with a
Perl script but, if you haven't got a working Perl ATM, you could use awk.

Chris Faylor said to me:
> I think that the patch that is distributed in cdk.exe is essentially
> brain dead.  I ended up recompiling the latest version from
> prep.ai.mit.edu and it works much better.

I haven't yet tried this, but it might be a better way for you to proceed.

Pete Jordan

* Re: Perl5.004_01 patch for b18
@ 1997-07-30 20:38   ` aldham
From: aldham @ 1997-07-30 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

> Like I said in c.l.p.misc, I had to split the patchfile up. I did it with a
> Perl script but, if you haven't got a working Perl ATM, you could use awk.
>
> Chris Faylor said to me:
> > I think that the patch that is distributed in cdk.exe is essentially
> > brain dead.  I ended up recompiling the latest version from
> > prep.ai.mit.edu and it works much better.
>
> I haven't yet tried this, but it might be a better way for you to proceed.

No, none of the above. I moved the source to a trusty unix box where I could
apply the patch. Also found I had to make a lot of changes to the hints
file: paths etc. Certainly is more bleeding edge than I expected. Something
in the patch regarding the bad patch program might be a nice touch.

--

@ 1997-07-31  7:31     ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-07-31  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Danny Aldham <aldham@lennon.postino.com> wrote:

> No, none of the above. I moved the source to a trusty unix box where I
> could apply the patch. Also found I had to make a lot of changes to the
> hints file: paths etc. Certainly is more bleeding edge than I expected.

Yep, it's not yet a straightforward process. All the signs are that things
will work much better when 5.004_02 emerges though.

> Something in the patch regarding the bad patch program might be a nice
> touch.

It would be even better if the patch that came with cygwin32 wasn't
broken...

Pete Jordan

* Re: Perl5.004_01 patch for b18
@ 1997-07-31 17:16       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-07-31 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < memo.19970731153202.52505D@horus.cix.co.uk >,
Pete Jordan <gnu-win32@cygnus.com> wrote:
>Danny Aldham <aldham@lennon.postino.com> wrote:
>
>> No, none of the above. I moved the source to a trusty unix box where I
>> could apply the patch. Also found I had to make a lot of changes to the
>> hints file: paths etc. Certainly is more bleeding edge than I expected.
>
>Yep, it's not yet a straightforward process. All the signs are that things
>will work much better when 5.004_02 emerges though.

Actually since, to the best of my knowledge, the patch that is pending
for perl5.004_02 is actually the patch on my web site, then I wouldn't
be too certain that things will work much better at all.

When I receive feedback that is of the order of "I had to make a lot of
changes", however, it is difficult to know exactly where to improve things.
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."

* Re: Perl5.004_01 patch for b18
@ 1997-08-01  7:14         ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-08-01  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

cgf@bbc.com (Chris Faylor) wrote:

> Actually since, to the best of my knowledge, the patch that is pending
> for perl5.004_02 is actually the patch on my web site, then I wouldn't
> be too certain that things will work much better at all.

Well, I didn't have serious problems building your patched code - the
biggest hassle was with patch itself and that won't affect the 5.004_02
distribution.

If the niggles I mentioned in my mails to you are fixed ($perlpath problem
with the inconsistency in which directory config.sh is called from, "read
answ" kludge around for Win95, path delimiter inconsistency in built
GNUmakefile and MakeMaker generating filenames with "::" in for man files),
all should be well AFAICS.

Pete Jordan