* latest Sergey's update (08/01) crashes on Win95
@ 1997-08-04  2:56 Jerome Gay
From: Jerome Gay @ 1997-08-04  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnuwin32

Hi all,

I just installed Sergey's latest coolview, dated Aug,1st... when I start
bash, WIndows95 crahes completely (hard-reset necessary)... any ideas ?

Jerome

-

* Re: latest Sergey's update (08/01) crashes on Win95
@ 1997-08-04  9:43 ` jman
From: jman @ 1997-08-04  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Gay; +Cc: Gnuwin32

Jason L. Esman aka _Jman  Owner Den Internet Services
System Admin. Network Consulting
http://www.deninc.com | irc.deninc.com, irc.lx.net
Email jman@lx.net or root@lx.net
Finger jman@lx.net for PGP Public Keys...

* Re: latest Sergey's update (08/01) crashes on Win95
@ 1997-08-06  8:19 ` David Means
From: David Means @ 1997-08-06  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnuwin32

Jerome Gay wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just installed Sergey's latest coolview, dated Aug,1st... when I
> start
> bash, WIndows95 crahes completely (hard-reset necessary)... any ideas
> ?
>
> Jerome
>
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message

Ditto me too.  I've got a valid /etc/passwd and /etc/group.  Here's what
it does:

BASH.EXE: /etc/profile: error 0
BASH.EXE: /home/users/dmeans/.bash_login: cannot execute binary file
BASH.EXE-2.01$

.bash_login is a sym link to .profile.

I know that /etc/profile isn't getting sourced because pwd reports
/dev/c/ and not $HOME, and $PATH is not set.  I don't start bash in
/dev/c nor do I cd to it, so I don't know how it's getting there.

If I execute a command at the prompt, the command will run, i.e., mount
or /bin/ls, but the system will hang afterwards.  The mouse still works,
but nothing will get the system back save a three-finger-salute (
ctrl-alt-del ).  Sometimes it will take a moment or two before it hangs,
at least it did after the mount command.

Thanks,

David Means
mailto:dmeans@bellsouth.net
-

* Re: latest Sergey's update (08/01) crashes on Win95
@ 1997-08-06 14:47   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-08-06 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 33E87C1B.9A2DF836@bellsouth.net >,
David Means  <dmeans@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Jerome Gay wrote:
>>I just installed Sergey's latest coolview, dated Aug,1st...  when I
>>start bash, WIndows95 crahes completely (hard-reset necessary)...  any
>>ideas?
>
>Ditto me too.  I've got a valid /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

I have contributed some code to the latest coolview release which seems
to be misbehaving on Windows 95.  I am actively tracking it down now, but
it looks like it is a really strange problem; possibly a bug in Windows 95.

So, don't blame Sergey.  It's probably my fault.
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."

* Re: latest Sergey's update (08/01) crashes on Win95
@ 1997-08-06 17:04   ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-08-06 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

dmeans@bellsouth.net (David Means) wrote:

> Ditto me too.  I've got a valid /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

Here too (Win95 OSR2).

> If I execute a command at the prompt, the command will run, i.e., mount
> or /bin/ls, but the system will hang afterwards.  The mouse still works,
> but nothing will get the system back save a three-finger-salute (
> ctrl-alt-del ).  Sometimes it will take a moment or two before it hangs,
> at least it did after the mount command.

Exactly the same symptoms.

Pete Jordan

* Re: latest Sergey's update (08/01) crashes on Win95
@ 1997-08-07  8:34     ` David Means
From: David Means @ 1997-08-07  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Chris Faylor wrote:
{ snip ... }
> I have contributed some code to the latest coolview release which
> seems > to be misbehaving on Windows 95.
{ snip }

> So, don't blame Sergey.  It's probably my fault.

No worries! ;-)

David
-

* Re: latest Sergey's update (08/01) crashes on Win95
@ 1997-08-07 12:41     ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-08-07 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

cgf@bbc.com (Chris Faylor) wrote:

> possibly a bug in Windows 95.

How could you possibly even /suggest/ such a thing?... >;)

Pete Jordan

* Re: latest Sergey's update (08/01) crashes on Win95
@ 1997-08-08  6:45       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-08-08  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < memo.19970807190129.45233C@horus.cix.co.uk >,
Pete Jordan <gnu-win32@cygnus.com> wrote:
>cgf@bbc.com (Chris Faylor) wrote:
>
>> possibly a bug in Windows 95.
>
>How could you possibly even /suggest/ such a thing?... >;)

You're right.  (hangs head in shame)

I'm sorry, Bill.
--

@ 1997-08-07  9:45 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-08-07  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'cgf@bbc.com'

Chris Faylor wrote:
> >Ditto me too.  I've got a valid /etc/passwd and /etc/group.
>
> I have contributed some code to the latest coolview release which seems
> to be misbehaving on Windows 95.  I am actively tracking it down now, but
> it looks like it is a really strange problem; possibly a bug in Windows
95.

While searching for a win95-specific problems in the last cygwin.dll, I
have found the following bugs in Windows95:

1. The application hangs when tries to resume non-suspended thread.
Workaround: suspend the thread before resuming :-)

2. MsgWaitForMultipleObjects() returns WAIT_FAILED with errno
ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE instead of WAIT_OBJECT_0+N when the waited process is
killed with three-finger salute. Workaround: just wait again :-)

3. InterlockedIncrement()/InterlockedDecrement() returns the temperature on
the Shri-Lanka coast instead of operation result :-) This results in
incorrect tty allocation and the messages like "free_tty: count < 0". I
don't know a good workaround, and didn't fix it yet. I think, the tty
support should be completely disabled on #$%@'95.

Try to write to askbill@microsoft.com :-)

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* RE: latest Sergey's update (08/01) crashes on Win95
@ 1997-08-04 21:02 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-08-04 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnuwin32, 'Jerome Gay'

Jerome Gay wrote:
> I just installed Sergey's latest coolview, dated Aug,1st... when I start
> bash, WIndows95 crahes completely (hard-reset necessary)... any ideas ?

Do you have a valid /etc/passwd and /etc/group?