* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-30  6:48 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-30  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Thanks Pete, I've just got around to installing your debash utility, and
it works great.

I wanted to wait until the end of September to post this thank-you due
to the numerous posts that had nothing to due with the original
question.  Thank-you to the few of you who actually answered my
question.

As for those of you who just couldn't stand to let the post from xxx go
unanswered as I had planned to do, it would help if you would not post
your responses to gnu-win32.  Although some of what was said was
informative it had nothing to do with gnu-win32, porting of tools and
scripts, etc. which is the intent that the kind people at CYGNUS
SOLUTIONS have provided.  Rather it became a flame and name bashing
contest which wasn't necessary or appreciated.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

>Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 1:07 +0100 (BST)
>From: pete@horus.cix.co.uk (Pete Jordan)
>Subject: Re: pathname conversion
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>
>earnie_boyd@hotmail.com (Earnie Boyd) wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a command/function which will give the
translation
>> of the cygnus path name and vice versa?
>>
>> I'm using vim and it would be nice to have the translated full path
>> Win32 when trying to edit with vim the file that is in a cygwin.dll
>> translated path.
>
>Have a look at the code in my debash utility
>( http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/download/debash-1.0.tar.gz ) as this does
>essentially what you're asking for to allow GNU-Win32 paths to be
passed
>to ordinary Windows applications.
>
>Pete Jordan ~ Horus Communications ~ http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/
>
>"Pass me another elf, sergeant, this one's split"
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-30 11:55 ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-09-30 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

earnie_boyd@hotmail.com (Earnie Boyd) wrote:

> Thanks Pete, I've just got around to installing your debash utility,
> and it works great.

Yr welcome :)

Pete Jordan ~ Horus Communications ~ http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/

"You know how that camel does it? He just closes one of his eyes and
 flops back his ears and plunges right through. A camel is mighty
 narrow when he closes one eye and flops back his ears. Besides, they
 use a big-eyed needle in the act."
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-27 23:21           ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1997-09-27 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Gascoigne - Piggford; +Cc: jdennis, gnu-win32

[...]
> but I'd begun to get the idea that the Cygnus target wasn't to make the
> gnu tools compatible with NT, but to make NT look as much like unix as
> possible.
[...]

Both are goals.  We're probably closer to achieving the latter one at
this point in time however.

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-27 10:30 ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-09-27 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

earnie_boyd@hotmail.com (Earnie Boyd) wrote:

> Pete,
>
> Where on your web page can I find debash...

Oops. Forgot that there isn't a link to my downloads page from the main
Horus website. You want http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/downloads.html

I might get round to changing the code to use cygwin32_conv_to_win32_path()
rather than using the mount table now I know about the damned routine... :)

Pete Jordan ~ Horus Communications ~ http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/

"Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty"
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-26 12:46               ` Robert Praetorius
From: Robert Praetorius @ 1997-09-26 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

> From:          Paul Prescod <papresco@technologist.com>

> didn't want to associate the word "win" with anything Microsoftish. With

     Once, a few years ago, after a frustrating day with some MS
Windows 3.1 bug or another, I copied win.exe to lose.exe and
henceforward used this to start up MS Windows.  Sure, it was silly and
petty - but it did make me feel better for awhile :-) (and more
accurately reflected the behavior of the .exe at the time).
-------p--a--s--s--i--o--n-----n--e--e--d--s-----a-----f--a--c--e-------
"oncology recapitulates philately" --Mark Maxson    Robert M. Praetorius
"balance, not symmetry" --Mark Stanley    work: RPraetorius@AspenRes.Com
(attribution by Stigler)     fun & recreation: rmp@PopJ1.MA.UltraNet.Com
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-26 11:57 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-26 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, pete

@ 1997-09-26  9:16             ` Paul Prescod
From: Paul Prescod @ 1997-09-26  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Alex wrote:
> It's MS Windows NT or 95.  Slurring Windows is just kinda stupid, as
> Windows could also refer to X .

Didn't you know that punning on Microsoft and Windows is the way to
prove you are kewl in today's hacker society? RMS has broken many
software packages by renaming the Emacs win32 functions "w32" because he
didn't want to associate the word "win" with anything Microsoftish. With
witty opponents attacking Microsoft with such subtle, intelligent
satire, Bill must be shaking in his boots.

 Paul Prescod
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-26  9:00     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-09-26  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 342B3821.36B3@switch.rockwell.com >,
banders  <banders@ECD.Rockwell.COM> wrote:
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>> In article < 01BCC99A.B46B51D0@gater.krystalbank.msk.ru >,
>> Sergey Okhapkin  <sos@prospect.com.ru> wrote:
>>>
>>>I can't understand the discussion about pthnames at all...  Gnu-win32
>>>tools allows to use both unix and win32 name conventions:
>>>
>>>H:\>ls -l h:\site total 1110 -rwxrwxrwx 1 Administ Domain A 320512 Jul
>>>05 00:00 bash.exe
>>[snip]
>>
>>I think that the main complaint is that this won't work under bash.
>>And, something like:
>>
>>         write /etc/passwd
>
>Doesn't seem to be a problem with the cygwin stuff since this was
>written by some non gnuwin32 developer.  So you could patch write to
>use the path conversion utilities (everybody patches executables, don't
>they?).

Ok.  I've patched my version and it seems to work pretty well.

Here are the commands I used:

	bash
	cp /usr/local/bin/vim.exe /winnt35/system32/WRITE.EXE

Now I can edit files with WRITE using unix style filenames and commands!
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-26  5:56     ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-09-26  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

banders@ECD.Rockwell.COM (banders) wrote:

> Chris Faylor wrote:
> > And, something like:
> >
> >         write /etc/passwd
>
> Doesn't seem to be a problem with the cygwin stuff since this was
> written by some non gnuwin32 developer. So you could patch write to use
> the path conversion utilities (everybody patches executables, don't
> they?).

<grin>

Either that, or use debash...

Pete Jordan ~ Horus Communications ~ http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/

"Ninevah, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand
 persons that know not how to distinguish their right hand from their
 left, not to mention many camels." ~ /God/
-

* Re: pathname conversion
       [not found] <01BCC9E9.FD11DAE0.rrankin@primenet.com>
@ 1997-09-26  4:17 ` Mikey
From: Mikey @ 1997-09-26  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997 19:34:05 -0700, you wrote:

>The same old features are there because there is an implicit requirement
>for backward compatibility. No, John Q Public generally doesn't care what
>the technology is underlying his filesystem, but he does care that when a
>new O/S upgrade comes out, that he doesn't have to
>
>1. learn an entirely new way of dealing with his files, let alone have to
>convert his hard drive to some new "format" for reasons he doesn't
>understand, and

Why not, They did it when NT and 95 were released neither VFAT nor NTFS
are the same as fat, but I notice that dos programs run just fine under NTFS
is it really that hard to emulate drive letters for programs that expect them?

What they should have done, instead of spending $80,000,000.00 on
publicity was spend $70,000,000.00 on publicity, and $10,000,000.00
on development of an emulator, after all they wrote the original API's
for dos win3.0 3.1 3.11, if they couldn't write an emulator with that
advantage, they must be even stupider than I thought. But then all those
3rd party programs that didn't use the API would have broken,
and maybe some of BILL's buddy's would have gotten complaints.

>2. spend a fortune to upgrade all his software so that he can use his new
>O/S.
>
>So it appears to me that what Microsoft did was to write software that they
>believed would sell (and in retrospect, certainly did). From a business
>perspective, they did the "right thing". From a technological standpoint,
>we'd probably all be better off if they'd broken backward compatibility and

My point is you don't have to break backwards compatibility to use new
technology, 8088 programs run just fine on P6's but MS programmers
apparently can't understand this.

@ 1997-09-25 21:20   ` banders
From: banders @ 1997-09-25 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Chris Faylor wrote:

> In article < 01BCC99A.B46B51D0@gater.krystalbank.msk.ru >,
> Sergey Okhapkin  <sos@prospect.com.ru> wrote:
> >Fabrice.Popineau wrote:
> >> Cygnus's goal was to allow Unix programs to run unmodified on NT.
> >> But there is a need too for Gnu utilities to run under Win32, with
> >> Win32 specifics. Emacs was ported and sources include Win32 and Unix
> >
> >I can't understand the discussion about pthnames at all... Gnu-win32 tools allows to use both unix and win32 name conventions:
> >
> >H:\>ls -l h:\site
> >total 1110
> >-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   320512 Jul 05 00:00 bash.exe
> [snip]
>
> I think that the main complaint is that this won't work under bash.
> And, something like:
>
>         write /etc/passwd

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the cygwin stuff since this was
written by some non gnuwin32 developer. So you could patch write to use
the path conversion utilities (everybody patches executables, don't
they?).

[followed by big goofy grin with tongue firmly in cheek]

> won't work either.
> --
> http://www.bbc.com/     cgf@bbc.com                     "Strange how unreal
> VMS=>UNIX Solutions     Boston Business Computing        the real can be."
> -

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-25 10:48 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-09-25 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-25  4:58 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-25  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: popineau, sos; +Cc: gnu-win32

>From: Sergey Okhapkin <sos@prospect.com.ru>
>To: "'Fabrice.Popineau'" <popineau@esemetz.ese-metz.fr>
>Cc: "gnu-win32@cygnus.com" <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
>Subject: RE: pathname conversion
>Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:06:33 +0400
>
>Fabrice.Popineau wrote:
>> Cygnus's goal was to allow Unix programs to run unmodified on NT.
>> But there is a need too for Gnu utilities to run under Win32, with
>> Win32 specifics. Emacs was ported and sources include Win32 and Unix
>
>I can't understand the discussion about pthnames at all... Gnu-win32
tools allows to use both unix and win32 name conventions:

>H:\>ls -l h:\site
>total 1110
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   320512 Jul 05 00:00 bash.exe
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   427838 Sep 23 12:58 coolview.tar.gz
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   572950 Sep 23 12:50 cygwin.dll
>-rw-r--r--   1 Administ Domain U    13123 Sep 23 13:14 index.shtml
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   693370 Aug 19 14:38 libcygwin.a
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A     3072 Jul 12 01:53 ps.exe
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   235612 Sep 17 09:43 remote.tar.gz
>drwxr-xr-x   5 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:11 usr
>drwxr-xr-x   4 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:10 var
>
>H:\site>tar tvz --force-local -f H:\site\coolview.tar.gz
>-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins 320512 Jul 05 00:00 1997
bash.exe
>-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins 572950 Sep 23 12:50 1997
cygwin.dll
>-rw-rw-rw- Administrators/Domain Admins 693370 Aug 19 14:38 1997
libcygwin.a
>-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins   3072 Jul 12 01:53 1997 ps.exe
>
>H:\site>ls -l /site
>total 1110
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   320512 Jul 05 00:00 bash.exe
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   427838 Sep 23 12:58 coolview.tar.gz
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   572950 Sep 23 12:50 cygwin.dll
>-rw-r--r--   1 Administ Domain U    13123 Sep 23 13:14 index.shtml
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   693370 Aug 19 14:38 libcygwin.a
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A     3072 Jul 12 01:53 ps.exe
>-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   235612 Sep 17 09:43 remote.tar.gz
>drwxr-xr-x   5 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:11 usr
>drwxr-xr-x   4 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:10 var
>
>--

That is if you in the MSDOS command mode.  Try your examples from bash.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* RE: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24 23:07 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-09-24 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fabrice.Popineau'; +Cc: gnu-win32

Fabrice.Popineau wrote:
> Cygnus's goal was to allow Unix programs to run unmodified on NT.
> But there is a need too for Gnu utilities to run under Win32, with
> Win32 specifics. Emacs was ported and sources include Win32 and Unix

I can't understand the discussion about pthnames at all... Gnu-win32 tools allows to use both unix and win32 name conventions:

H:\>ls -l h:\site
total 1110
-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   320512 Jul 05 00:00 bash.exe
-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   427838 Sep 23 12:58 coolview.tar.gz
-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   572950 Sep 23 12:50 cygwin.dll
-rw-r--r--   1 Administ Domain U    13123 Sep 23 13:14 index.shtml
-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   693370 Aug 19 14:38 libcygwin.a
-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A     3072 Jul 12 01:53 ps.exe
-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   235612 Sep 17 09:43 remote.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x   5 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:11 usr
drwxr-xr-x   4 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:10 var

H:\site>tar tvz --force-local -f H:\site\coolview.tar.gz
-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins 320512 Jul 05 00:00 1997 bash.exe
-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins 572950 Sep 23 12:50 1997 cygwin.dll
-rw-rw-rw- Administrators/Domain Admins 693370 Aug 19 14:38 1997 libcygwin.a
-rwxrwxrwx Administrators/Domain Admins   3072 Jul 12 01:53 1997 ps.exe

H:\site>ls -l /site
total 1110
-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   320512 Jul 05 00:00 bash.exe
-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   427838 Sep 23 12:58 coolview.tar.gz
-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A   572950 Sep 23 12:50 cygwin.dll
-rw-r--r--   1 Administ Domain U    13123 Sep 23 13:14 index.shtml
-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   693370 Aug 19 14:38 libcygwin.a
-rwxrwxrwx   1 Administ Domain A     3072 Jul 12 01:53 ps.exe
-rw-rw-rw-   1 Administ Domain A   235612 Sep 17 09:43 remote.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x   5 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:11 usr
drwxr-xr-x   4 Administ Domain A        0 Aug 01 11:10 var

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24 19:51           ` Perry E. Metzger
From: Perry E. Metzger @ 1997-09-24 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Gascoigne - Piggford; +Cc: John R. Dennis, gnu-win32

Guy Gascoigne - Piggford writes:
> I'd begun to get the idea that
> the Cygnus target wasn't to make the gnu tools compatible with NT, but to
> make NT look as much like unix as possible.

Exactly. Its basically a POSIX porting environment. It is *not* an NT
development environment per se, although I think its a mighty fine way
to get decent software running on NT.

.pm
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24 19:09           ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-09-24 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Charles Curley wrote:

> John, I think you should look at the reason *why* Cygnus ported the GNU
> tools to NT. They did not do it so they could write Mess-DOS only
> applications. They did it so that they could port Unix-style tools and apps
> to Wimpdows, and thereby make Wimpdows at least bearable to those who have
> seen the power and flexibility of Unix. The idea was to impose a thin
> veneer of civilization on a barbaric entitity. So they came up with a
> Unix-style pathology to keep Unix programs and tools (and those who port
> them) happy.

It's MS Windows NT or 95.  Slurring Windows is just kinda stupid, as
Windows could also refer to X .  Unless you can write an os better than
that useable en masse, could you at least spell it right?

> I have worked with Linux and HP-UX, and I find risable all the hoopla that
> the small, flaccid company is making over NT 5.0. Symlinks? Mount points?
> Excuse me? But then again, I *wrote* a 32 bit OS before Microsoft did, so I
> have never been impressed with their products.

Then don't use them if you don't like them.  Nobody's holding a gun to
your head to make you use them.  I for one think that while the MS
products could use a lot of improvment, they do have their place, as does
the Macintosh.

> Mount points? Yes, mount points. It looks like Microsoft is finally
> admitting that Unix did it right the first time. Just like Intel finally
> admitted that Motorola did it right the first time when Intel came out with
> a processor capable of a flat 32 bit addressing space. So now you can use
> NT mount points to simulate Cygwin mount points.

- alex

-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24 19:07           ` Tibor Polgar
From: Tibor Polgar @ 1997-09-24 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

 > I have worked with Linux and HP-UX, and I find risable all the hoopla that
 > the small, flaccid company is making over NT 5.0. Symlinks? Mount points?
 > Excuse me? But then again, I *wrote* a 32 bit OS before Microsoft did, so I
 > have never been impressed with their products.

Yes but were you able to write it as badly as they did and still make a billion
dollars from it? :)

You may be aware that NT has had "symbolic links" since day one, but was only
visible from the device driver level.  Deep down in layer zero NT is a very nice
object oriented system (hey its a MACH kernel after all).  Its only the WIN32
and NTVDM layers that are messed up due to those compatability issues.

So finally they are letting those object float up to be visible at the user
level. (The shear fact that they are doing it is news to me, where is this
written down?).

Tibor
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24 13:52 Fabrice.Popineau
From: Fabrice.Popineau @ 1997-09-24 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ggp, jdennis; +Cc: gnu-win32

Cygnus's goal was to allow Unix programs to run unmodified on NT.
But there is a need too for Gnu utilities to run under Win32, with
Win32 specifics. Emacs was ported and sources include Win32 and Unix
code. Lots of Gnu utils are quite straight forward to compile under
win32 (I have done many of them), using the libc from VC++.
Unfortunately, some things from Unix do not have their counterpart
under Win32. In this case the option choosen by Cygnus was to emulate
the lack. Sometimes, conflicting is important: try to use 'patch' on
a filesystem that is not mounted as binary... Try to open text files
with notepad when they have been created by unix tools ...
Permissions are also odd. I think it would be nice too to cense all
the native ports of free software.

Fabrice POPINEAU
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24 13:10 Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-09-24 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>In article < 199709241416.KAA00808@hardy.bbc.com >, cgf@bbc.com (Chris
>Faylor) ranted about dumb questions
>
>No argument with any of that, Chris (I spent eight years doing tech
>support - never again...)
>
>My problem is that I'm frequently guilty of False Impatience :)

You might have guessed that I've been doing tech support for quite some time,
too.

And, if "False Impatience" is what I think it is, then I'm probably guilty
of it, too.

cgf
-

* Re: pathname conversion
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-09-24  9:22         ` Guy Gascoigne - Piggford
From: Guy Gascoigne - Piggford @ 1997-09-24  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John R. Dennis; +Cc: gnu-win32

At 04:45 PM 9/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Am I in the minority when I suggest porting includes making the port
>compatible with the target environment?
>
>Please note I am not suggesting removing support for better solutions
>nor am I unappreciative of the fine work Cygnus has done on my
>behalf. I'm just frustrated with using some of the tools because of
>what seems to be a needless incompatibility. I suspect others are in
>the same boat. Anybody else run into this problem?

Actually I agree with you completely, but I'd begun to get the idea that
the Cygnus target wasn't to make the gnu tools compatible with NT, but to
make NT look as much like unix as possible.

It's rather like the case sensitivity of filename completion in bash, I
don't mind if this is an option, but since the file system generaly is case
insensitive I find that it's a real pain when it doesn't work the way I'd
expect.  You only need to take a look at the NT emacs port to see how it
should be done.  Here we have a huge body of code that seems to offer the
best of both worlds, all the unixness that you might expect as well as
actually support for it's NT environment.

That said, I do use the Cygnus tools a great deal, I think that they are a
great project and I really appreciate the work that's been done, I just
think that their target and mine might differ slightly.

Guy
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24  8:16         ` Perry E. Metzger
From: Perry E. Metzger @ 1997-09-24  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John R. Dennis; +Cc: jeffdbREMOVETHIS, gnu-win32

"John R. Dennis" writes:
> You listed a number of reason why DOS/Win32 is brain dead (no argument
> here) and why the UNIX solution is superior (once again no
> argument). But what you didn't do is answer my question, which was why
> are tools targeted for one environment not compatible with that environment?

CygWin is NOT an NT programming environment. It is a compatibility
system to permit programs written for a reasonable environment (Unix)
to run in an unreasonable one (Win32).

If the pathnames were the same, Unix programs would BREAK. Period. If
I want to compile Bind or Sendmail and have them run unmodified, well,
the programs CAN'T have to worry about the "current drive" and if they
say they want /etc/named.boot or some such they can't have everything
on earth spit up on them.

> Am I in the minority when I suggest porting includes making the port
> compatible with the target environment?

The whole point here is to NOT force people to rewrite their Unix
utilities when they want to run them. You would force people to
violate that constraint.

Perry
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24  7:16   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-09-24  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < memo.19970923183002.36397A@horus.cix.co.uk > you write:
>Asking for help isn't one of my string points, I'll grant; I prefer to try
>and suss things out for myself.

Hi,
That's the right way to do it!  I'm actually getting pretty sick of
all of the posts to the mailing list that are essentially:

"Hi.  I am a newbie and don't know how to use your software.  Apparently
I have to 'down' 'load' it or something but I can't find any documentation
immediately in front of me on the screen so I thought I'd ask for help
because I *do* know how to type."

I think that trying to figure things out for oneself might be a dying
discipline.  It seems that it may be supplanted by blaming the people
who provided you with whatever you're trying to use of not being able
to adequately explain things to you.

Sorry about this rant.  I really just wanted to let you know that I
admire people who try to "suss things out" themselves.  Keep it up! It
probably won't be a trend but in a twenty years or so you might actually
be worshipped for your supernatural ability to figure things out without
begging for help.  Either that or you (and I) will be burned at the
stake...

cgf
--

@ 1997-09-24  7:11         ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-09-24  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 199709232045.QAA04935@elektra.ultra.net >,
John R. Dennis <jdennis@sharpeye.com> wrote:
>Please note I am not suggesting removing support for better solutions
>nor am I unappreciative of the fine work Cygnus has done on my
>behalf. I'm just frustrated with using some of the tools because of
>what seems to be a needless incompatibility. I suspect others are in
>the same boat. Anybody else run into this problem?

The incompatibility isn't exactly "needless".  The intent of gnu-win32
from the start, as I understand it, was to provide a UNIX environment on
Windows NT.  UNIX does not think that an alphabetic character followed
by a ':' at the beginning of a filename is special in any way.  UNIX
does not think that a '\' character in a filename is special in any way.

Since neither colons or backslashes are special in a UNIX environment,
they have been coopted for other uses.  In a Makefile, a colon introduces
a rule.  On a shell command line, a backslash indicates that the next
character is to be taken "literally".  Working around these particular
uses is not trivial.

Cygnus has introduced the idea of a "mount table" similar to what is
used in UNIX.  This is a very powerful concept that allows one to map
different drives or files into a monolithic filename space.  The
unfortunate aspect of this, however, is that if a program doesn't use
cygwin.dll, it won't understand this mount table and confusion may
ensue.

But what is the alternative?  If Cygnus had decided to modify every
utility they could find so that it understood things like
"C:\DOS\CHKDSK.COM" then they would not have added anything new to the
Windows community.  There are plenty of GNU-ported-to-DOS utilities out
there.  They chose to go a different way instead.  They chose to provide
a real, live UNIX environment for Windows 95/NT.

GNU-WIN32 (or CYGWIN or whatever it is supposed to be called) is not
perfect.  It is a work in progress.  Some things will never be possible.
I suspect that transparent translation of native filespecs may be one of
them.  But even without that it is immensely useful to have a UNIX on
Windows environment.

Thanks to Cygnus (and Sergey, actually), I have been able to move most
of my development environment (which is written in perl but makes heavy
use of UNIX utilities) directly onto my NT system.  That means that I
can schedule remote builds on "serenade" (my NT system) from "hardy"
(my DEC alpha system).  That means that I can run nightly builds of
my products on all of my systems where before a build on NT required
firing up good ol' MSDEV, clicking on a bunch of stuff, and inspecting
the output as it scrolled by.

I'm sure that given enough time I could have laboriously ported things
over to Windows NT or tracked down the myriad different utilities I needed
to get things working.  With GNU-WIN32 I didn't have to.
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24  5:54         ` Charles Curley
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Charles Curley @ 1997-09-24  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John R. Dennis; +Cc: jeffdbREMOVETHIS, gnu-win32

At 04:45 PM 9/23/97 -0400, John R. Dennis wrote:

>    Mikey> Because Microsoft's programmers are IDIOTS, and have been
>    Mikey> ever since 1982 when dos 1 came out...
>
>You listed a number of reason why DOS/Win32 is brain dead (no argument
>here) and why the UNIX solution is superior (once again no
>argument). But what you didn't do is answer my question, which was why
>are tools targeted for one environment not compatible with that environment?
>
>I also detest many of the Microsoft OS features. But what is
>inescapable is the fact the tools are running in a Win32 environment
>with specfic rules for pathnames. I believe that porting includes
>making the tool compatible with the native environment. Whether the
>native environment is brain dead is irrelevant, it is the environment
>you are working in for better or worse, suggesting you use a "real
>operating system" is pointless.
>
>Am I in the minority when I suggest porting includes making the port
>compatible with the target environment?
>
>Please note I am not suggesting removing support for better solutions
>nor am I unappreciative of the fine work Cygnus has done on my
>behalf. I'm just frustrated with using some of the tools because of
>what seems to be a needless incompatibility. I suspect others are in
>the same boat. Anybody else run into this problem?
>
>--
>John Dennis (Sharp Eye, Inc.)
>Contract programming services specializing in 3D graphics
> http://www.sharpeye.com
>jdennis@sharpeye.com
>
>-

John, I think you should look at the reason *why* Cygnus ported the GNU
tools to NT. They did not do it so they could write Mess-DOS only
applications. They did it so that they could port Unix-style tools and apps
to Wimpdows, and thereby make Wimpdows at least bearable to those who have
seen the power and flexibility of Unix. The idea was to impose a thin
veneer of civilization on a barbaric entitity. So they came up with a
Unix-style pathology to keep Unix programs and tools (and those who port
them) happy.

I have worked with Linux and HP-UX, and I find risable all the hoopla that
the small, flaccid company is making over NT 5.0. Symlinks? Mount points?
Excuse me? But then again, I *wrote* a 32 bit OS before Microsoft did, so I
have never been impressed with their products.

Mount points? Yes, mount points. It looks like Microsoft is finally
admitting that Unix did it right the first time. Just like Intel finally
admitted that Motorola did it right the first time when Intel came out with
a processor capable of a flat 32 bit addressing space. So now you can use
NT mount points to simulate Cygwin mount points.

		-- C^2

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://web.idirect.com/~ccurley
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-24  0:51       ` Hauke Fath
From: Hauke Fath @ 1997-09-24  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeffdbREMOVETHIS; +Cc: John R. Dennis, gnu-win32

At 18:30 23.09.97 GMT, Mikey wrote:
>Because Microsoft's programmers are IDIOTS, and
>have been ever since 1982 when dos 1 came out

MSDOS would never have come off the ground without the possibility of
easily porting CP/M software (dBase, WordStar,...). DOS 1 was a verbatim
CP/M clone, and CP/M has drive letters and uses the forward slash "/" as a
command option tag. That's why DOS introduced the backslash as path separator.

>All of these file system features have been around
>since before dos 1 was released, at first via a file system
>called minix, and more recently and in an even more advanced
>form called ext2, try installing a real OS, called linux.

When we say DOS 2 we are talking early eighties -- Xenix, 4.1BSD, AT&T Sys
V.2. Not even Berkeley Fast Filing System (iirc 1982/3), and definitely no
Linsux Ext2FFS.

At 16:45 23.09.97 -0400, John R. Dennis wrote:

>    Mikey> Because Microsoft's programmers are IDIOTS, and have been
>    Mikey> ever since 1982 when dos 1 came out...
>
>You listed a number of reason why DOS/Win32 is brain dead (no argument
>here) and why the UNIX solution is superior (once again no
>argument). But what you didn't do is answer my question, which was why
>are tools targeted for one environment not compatible with that environment?

Because DOS and its mates use as path separator what is an escape char to
UN*X tools. To change this, you'd have to touch virtually every UN*X tool
-- you'd lose compatibility with the UN*X software base while creating a
proprietary environment that isn't really compatible with the host
environment because it introduces features that have no match there.

>Am I in the minority when I suggest porting includes making the port
>compatible with the target environment?

The price of losing compatibility to UN*X (shell) scripts and tools would
be too high. You could then just as well stick with COMMAND.COM or 4DOS.

	hauke

--
Hauke Fath                              Melog Software GmbH
                                        D-69115 Heidelberg

-

* RE: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-23 19:58 Rick Rankin
From: Rick Rankin @ 1997-09-23 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com', John R. Dennis, gnu-win32

> [...]

do.

> >Cygnus has done a wonderful job of providing free UNIX software on the
> >PC. However, I gave up using many of the tools because they don't
> >play well in a mixed environment with standard PC tools, mainly because
> >the cygnus tools have a path name convention that is (arbitrarily?)
> >different from DOS/Win32. Obviously there must be a good reason for
> >being different, can someone explain what it is?
> >
> >--
> >John Dennis (Sharp Eye, Inc.)
> >Contract programming services specializing in 3D graphics
> > http://www.sharpeye.com
> >jdennis@sharpeye.com
> >
> >-
> >"gnu-win32-request@cygnus.com" with one line of text: "help".
> >

> (jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com)
> delete REMOVETHIS from the above to reply

-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-23 18:05       ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-09-23 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Mikey wrote:

> Because Microsoft's programmers are IDIOTS, and
> have been ever since 1982 when dos 1 came out

Not really MS's fault, they just extended CP/M.

> All of these file system features have been around
> since before dos 1 was released, at first via a file system
> called minix, and more recently and in an even more advanced
> form called ext2, try installing a real OS, called linux.

Please don't even start with Linux is a real OS, after all it wasn't the
first "Unix" and it's not even a real Unix. Ext2fs isn't all that
great, I for one like ufs in a BSD form, although SYSV's form isn't _too_
bad per se.

- alex

-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-23 17:58     ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-09-23 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John R. Dennis; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, John R. Dennis wrote:

> Why is pathname conversion even necessary? When in Rome do as the Romans do.

From my being on the list quite a while, it seems to me that the main goal
of b18 (this may change by beta 19 and correct me if I'm wrong) is to
provide a UNIX like enviroment to compile programs straight from unix with
as little code changing as possible.

> Cygnus has done a wonderful job of providing free UNIX software on the
> PC. However, I gave up using many of the tools because they don't
> play well in a mixed environment with standard PC tools, mainly because
> the cygnus tools have a path name convention that is (arbitrarily?)
> different from DOS/Win32. Obviously there must be a good reason for
> being different, can someone explain what it is?

Using posix (I guess what that's called) paths makes more sense when
using Unix code, and with multiple drives can be much easier (as sometimes
UNC for me is easier than drive mappings).  If you want to use win32 paths
in your programs there are conversion functions, but most of the gnu
utilities don't use them without mucking around in the code.

- alex

-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-23 13:50       ` John R. Dennis
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: John R. Dennis @ 1997-09-23 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeffdbREMOVETHIS; +Cc: gnu-win32

    Mikey> Because Microsoft's programmers are IDIOTS, and have been
    Mikey> ever since 1982 when dos 1 came out...

You listed a number of reason why DOS/Win32 is brain dead (no argument
here) and why the UNIX solution is superior (once again no
argument). But what you didn't do is answer my question, which was why
are tools targeted for one environment not compatible with that environment?

I also detest many of the Microsoft OS features. But what is
inescapable is the fact the tools are running in a Win32 environment
with specfic rules for pathnames. I believe that porting includes
making the tool compatible with the native environment. Whether the
native environment is brain dead is irrelevant, it is the environment
you are working in for better or worse, suggesting you use a "real
operating system" is pointless.

Am I in the minority when I suggest porting includes making the port
compatible with the target environment?

Please note I am not suggesting removing support for better solutions
nor am I unappreciative of the fine work Cygnus has done on my
behalf. I'm just frustrated with using some of the tools because of
what seems to be a needless incompatibility. I suspect others are in
the same boat. Anybody else run into this problem?

--
John Dennis (Sharp Eye, Inc.)
Contract programming services specializing in 3D graphics
http://www.sharpeye.com
jdennis@sharpeye.com

-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-23 11:41     ` Mikey
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Mikey @ 1997-09-23 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John R. Dennis, gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-23 10:31 ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-09-23 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

earnie_boyd@hotmail.com (Earnie Boyd) wrote:

> >Aaargh! So I've ended up reinventing the wheel /again/ :)
>
> Maybe you should have asked!  Oh, yeah, I forgot,  thats one of the
> things committee members do badly!!

<grin> I /did/ ask, but the wrong question (to which Sergey gave me the
correct answer).

Asking for help isn't one of my string points, I'll grant; I prefer to try
and suss things out for myself. As to committees, I can only hope that I
never have to serve on one again (one of the many reasons I went
freelance).

Pete Jordan ~ Horus Communications ~ http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/

"'Not twisted,' Salzy once said of her own passion, 'it is helical.
 That sounds better.'"
-

* Re: pathname conversion
@ 1997-09-23  6:36   ` John R. Dennis
From: John R. Dennis @ 1997-09-23  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: garbanzo; +Cc: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-23  6:07 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-23  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pete, gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-23  3:58   ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-09-23  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-23  1:29 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-09-23  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Earnie Boyd'

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Does anyone know of a command/function which will give the translation
> of the cygnus path name and vice versa?

Cygwin.dll exports the following functions:

cygwin32_conv_to_win32_path (const char *path, char *win32_path)
cygwin32_conv_to_full_win32_path (const char *path, char *win32_path)
cygwin32_conv_to_posix_path (const char *path, char *posix_path)
cygwin32_conv_to_full_posix_path (const char *path, char *posix_path)

--

@ 1997-09-22 22:11 ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-09-22 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-22 17:09 ` Pete Jordan
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-09-22 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-22 10:06 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-22 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Does anyone know of a command/function which will give the translation
of the cygnus path name and vice versa?

I'm using vim and it would be nice to have the translated full path to
Win32 when trying to edit with vim the file that is in a cygwin.dll
translated path.

Thanks,

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-