* Does sftp file system work in Cygwin?
@ 2015-04-23 21:35 Woody Setzer
From: Woody Setzer @ 2015-04-23 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have been unable to mount an SSH based file system. Both when I try
the mount via the 'Connect to Server' dialog from the Mate menu, or
use gvfs-mount sftp://...  from a shell, I get the same error:
Unable to spawn SSH program (from the GUI) or

$ gvfs-mount sftp://xx.xx.xxx
Error mounting location: Unable to spawn SSH program

I can access the target system via ssh and sftp from the command line.
Should this work in Cygwin?

This system was updated 23 April 2015.

Woody Setzer

* Re: Does sftp file system work in Cygwin?
@ 2015-04-23 22:05 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-04-23 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Woody Setzer, cygwin

Greetings, Woody Setzer!

> I have been unable to mount an SSH based file system. Both when I try
> the mount via the 'Connect to Server' dialog from the Mate menu, or
> use gvfs-mount sftp://...  from a shell, I get the same error:
> Unable to spawn SSH program (from the GUI) or

> $ gvfs-mount sftp://xx.xx.xxx
> Error mounting location: Unable to spawn SSH program

> I can access the target system via ssh and sftp from the command line.
> Should this work in Cygwin?

> This system was updated 23 April 2015.

A little more background please?
Which system is which?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Does sftp file system work in Cygwin?
@ 2015-04-23 22:28   ` Woody Setzer
From: Woody Setzer @ 2015-04-23 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm sorry I was not clear. I will try again.

I am running Mate under Cygwin on a Windows 7 Professional system, and
want to connect to a Linux server running on our local network.
Ultimately, I will be connecting through my Agency's VPN, which is so
slow as to render using X over that conduit useless. So, I want to
access my files on the Linux computer's filesystem via sftp. I can get
files from the Cygwin command line from that server using sftp, and
can login via ssh. I have the gvfs package installed under Cygwin. The
Cygwin installation on my Windows machine was updated 23 April 2015.

I have tried two approaches to setting up an sftp based file system on
Cygwin. The first was to run Mate on the Windows box, and use the
"Connect to Server" dialog, specifying SSH for the file system. that
results in the error "Unable to spawn SSH program". The second was to
use gvfs-mount from the command line, which results in a similar
error:

$ gvfs-mount sftp://xx.xx.xxx
Error mounting location: Unable to spawn SSH program

Should this work in Cygwin? Is there some configuration I need to attend to?
I spent the afternoon with Google search, and have found very little about this.

Woody Setzer

@ 2015-04-24  8:23     ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2015-04-24  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Woody Setzer (Thu, 23 Apr 2015 18:28:36 -0400)
> I am running Mate under Cygwin on a Windows 7 Professional system,
> and
> want to connect to a Linux server running on our local network.
> Ultimately, I will be connecting through my Agency's VPN, which is so
> slow as to render using X over that conduit useless. So, I want to
> access my files on the Linux computer's filesystem via sftp. I can get
> files from the Cygwin command line from that server using sftp, and
> can login via ssh. I have the gvfs package installed under Cygwin. The
> Cygwin installation on my Windows machine was updated 23 April 2015.
>
> I have tried two approaches to setting up an sftp based file system on
> Cygwin. The first was to run Mate on the Windows box, and use the
> "Connect to Server" dialog, specifying SSH for the file system. that
> results in the error "Unable to spawn SSH program". The second was to
> use gvfs-mount from the command line, which results in a similar
> error:
>
> $ gvfs-mount sftp://xx.xx.xxx
> Error mounting location: Unable to spawn SSH program
>
> Should this work in Cygwin? Is there some configuration I need to attend to?
> I spent the afternoon with Google search, and have found very little about this.

User-space file systems (mostly fuse based in Linux to my knowledge)
are not going to work in Cygwin. This means you can mount a Cygwin
SFTP server resource on Linux but not vice versa.

Thorsten