* Can't obtain write permissions on my file...
@ 2002-02-18  2:29 axellec
From: axellec @ 2002-02-18  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,
I've got a problem concerning file permissions between CygWin/Windows and Unix.

1. I've checked-out a file on a Unix server (my login is axelle):
colibri{axelle}[/home/axelle/papers]> ls -al
total 160
drwx--x--x   3 axelle  nss          512 Feb 15 16:58 ./
drwx--x--x   9 axelle  nss          512 Feb 11 17:12 ../
drwx--x--x   2 axelle  nss          512 Feb 15 15:23 CVS/
-rwx-wx--x   1 axelle  nss         7995 Feb 15 16:58 isse-xml.tex*
=> I've got read & write access to my file isse-xml.tex.

2. and then try to access it from Windows, using Cygwin.
{Administrator}[/e/axelle/papers]> ls -al
total 77
drwxr-xr-x   1 Administ None            0 Feb 15 16:58 .
drwxr-xr-x   1 Administ None            0 Feb 11 17:12 ..
drwxr-xr-x   1 Administ None            0 Feb 15 15:23 CVS
-rw-r--r--   1 Administ None         7995 Feb 15 16:58 isse-xml.tex
{Administrator}[/e/axelle/papers]> id
uid=500(Administrator) gid=513(None) groups=513(None)
=> Okay so I'm Administrator, the permission access rights are rw-r--r-- : so I should have read & write access to my file ?
=> BUT When I load the file through Emacs, it's non-writable ! Why ?

If I check-out the file directly through Cygwin, then I have read & write access..

What's happening ? How can I solve that problem ?
Axelle Apvrille

-------------------------------
Axelle Apvrille
mailto:axellec@netcourrier.com
-------------------------------

* RE: Can't obtain write permissions on my file...
@ 2002-02-19  1:23 ` Axelle Apvrille
From: Axelle Apvrille @ 2002-02-19  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Dautrevaux, 'axellec@netcourrier.com'; +Cc: cygwin

Just wanted to let those who have followed this thread
that I found the solution.
You were right, this is no Cygwin problem, but an
Emacs bug. It doesn't recognize correctly the "w"
right for RCS/CVS files.
The fix is to put
(setq vc-ignore-vc-files t)
in the .emacs file.

Thanks for your help locating the problem. I really
thought this had something to do with my Cygwin
config.

Cheers,
Axelle.

* RE: Can't obtain write permissions on my file...
@ 2002-02-19  0:54 ` Axelle Apvrille
From: Axelle Apvrille @ 2002-02-19  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robinow, David, cygwin

Hi,

Actually initially the problem was I did not know
who's causing the problem: Cygwin, Emacs or CVS...

Now, well, it looks more like an Emacs problem. I'll
probably follow up to some group regarding Emacs.

Bye.
Axelle.

 --- "Robinow, David" <drobinow@dayton.adroit.com> a
écrit : > > > If I log on the Unix machine, check out
my file,

@ 2002-02-19  0:49 ` Axelle Apvrille
From: Axelle Apvrille @ 2002-02-19  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Dautrevaux; +Cc: cygwin

> So it seems that is linked to emacs; can you
> read/write your file under
> another editor (like vi)? just to confirm it's
> really an Emacs problem.

I haven't got vi, but I tried a simple notepad under
Windows, and I modified my file without problem.

> Yes, this is an environment variable that can be set
> either in the
> workstation properties dialog, or in th ecygwin.bat
> script (but not after:
> it must be set BEFORE the first cygwin program
> starts).

Okay I've set that environment variable.

> Not sure it is CVS, but you may create a file
> manually on Unix, then try to
> edit it under Emacs from Windows;

If I try to create a file on Unix, then there's no
problem I can read & write it on Windows.

Uh... maybe there's a problem with Emacs detecting my
"CVS" file. I mean: the file is checked-out under Unix
for user "axelle" (Unix ID). Under Windows, I'm
another user - say "axl". It's still me of course, but
how can he know (and how to tell him)...

> if it works, then
> maybe CVS has set-up the
> file properties on UNIX strangely. BTW IIRC Solaris
> handles not only
> traditional Unix attributes (the usual -rw--r--r
> stuff) but also ACLs
> (access control lists).
Yes I know, I've set ACLs on my CVS repository. But
the files I access do not have ACLs. I wouldn't think
this is a problem.

> If these are enabled on your
> Solaris box, you should
> definitely check the rights set by CVS for the
> problematic file and compare
> with one you can edit from Emacs on Windows.

I can't see any difference.

Actually, I tried the following trick :
if I commit my file (under Unix) and do not touch it
under Unix, then I can read/write it on Emacs on
Windows. Whenever I touch the file on Unix, it gets
not writable on Windows. But there's absolutely no
change in my file permissions...
Really strange, no ?!

> PS: Please keep these kind of discussion on the
> list; the various mails may
> trigger ideas from others on the list that may
> finally discover the (perhaps
> totally unrelated) cause to your problem, or to a
> problem of someone else
> :-)

Yes, you're perfectly right. Actually, I forgot to
follow up my last answer to the group...

Axelle.

* RE: Can't obtain write permissions on my file...
@ 2002-02-18 10:14 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2002-02-18 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-02-18  9:57 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2002-02-18  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I've got both an "NT" account (actually I'm on Windows
> 2000, not NT) -- with an NTFS filesystem, and a Unix
> account.
> I log onto the NT domain as "axelle", and I'm local
> administrator of my machine. (My NT account is in the
> Local Administrator group).
> On Unix machines, I log as "axelle" (but the NT axelle
> and the Unix axelle account have no link -- except
> that it's me in both cases ;-)).
> From Windows, I access to my Unix account through a
> Samba share.
>
> If I log on the Unix machine, check out my file, then
> go to my NT machine and try to modify it using Emacs,
> Emacs complains it is unwritable (though Cygwin shows
> I have rw- access, and if I right click on the file on
> Win2000, the read-only check box is not checked).
> As a matter of fact, I can write on the file: tried
> the touch command or an echo >> my file.

So it seems that is linked to emacs; can you read/write your file under
another editor (like vi)? just to confirm it's really an Emacs problem.

> If on the contrary, I log on to my Windows machine,
> check out the file, then go to Unix, no problem at
> all. It works.
>
> > "CYGWIN=ntsec"?
> Where would that command be ?
> Is that a environment variable ? (I've got CYGWIN=tty
> !).

Yes, this is an environment variable that can be set either in the
workstation properties dialog, or in th ecygwin.bat script (but not after:
it must be set BEFORE the first cygwin program starts).

> > If that's the case be sure your /etc/passwd and
> > /etc/group files are set up
> > properly, that is by:
> >
> > mkpasswd -d > /etc/passwd
> > mkgroup -d > /etc/group
>
> I've done that.
>
> > Oh, but wait a minute; if I understand correctly
> > what you've said, you
> > should be using a samba share between your Linux box
> > and your Windows
> > system, with a windows mount of th esamba share as
> > drive E:?
>
> Yes, that's right (except I'm accessing a Solaris not
> a Linux -- but I doubt that the pb !).

Me too, although nobody really knows as long as the real problem is not
fixed :-)

> > Then the problem may also be (in addition to the
> > above) that your samba
> > server is not correctly configured to match your NT
> > user name with your
> > Linux login.
>
> I don't think so, because Samba is configured so I
> access all my user account without problems.
>

> > Then it may be samba that refuse the
> > access
>
> No. See above, I have access to the file. And better,
> I can overwrite it if I use simple commands, not
> Emacs.
> Maybe Emacs does not understand who I am.

It's one of th ethings I would investigate, especially as Emacs seems to
quite often play tricks with the OS in order to be smarter :-)

> Or CVS gets confused.

Not sure it is CVS, but you may create a file manually on Unix, then try to
edit it under Emacs from Windows; if it works, then maybe CVS has set-up the
file properties on UNIX strangely. BTW IIRC Solaris handles not only
traditional Unix attributes (the usual -rw--r--r stuff) but also ACLs
(access control lists). If these are enabled on your Solaris box, you should
definitely check the rights set by CVS for the problematic file and compare
with one you can edit from Emacs on Windows.

> Or something's missing in my Cygwin configuration.
>
> Hope this helps you helping me ;-)
> Thanks anyway !

You're welcome,

	Bernard

PS: Please keep these kind of discussion on the list; the various mails may
trigger ideas from others on the list that may finally discover the (perhaps
totally unrelated) cause to your problem, or to a problem of someone else
:-)

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE
FRANCE
Tel:	+33 (0) 1 47 68 80 80
Fax:	+33 (0) 1 47 88 97 85
e-mail:	dautrevaux@microprocess.com
		b.dautrevaux@usa.net

* RE: Can't obtain write permissions on my file...
@ 2002-02-18  7:48 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2002-02-18  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I've got a problem concerning file permissions between
> CygWin/Windows and Unix.
>
> 1. I've checked-out a file on a Unix server (my login
> is axelle):
> colibri{axelle}[/home/axelle/papers]> ls -al
> total 160
> drwx--x--x   3 axelle  nss          512 Feb 15 16:58
> ./
> drwx--x--x   9 axelle  nss          512 Feb 11 17:12
> ../
> drwx--x--x   2 axelle  nss          512 Feb 15 15:23
> CVS/
> -rwx-wx--x   1 axelle  nss         7995 Feb 15 16:58
> isse-xml.tex*
> => I've got read & write access to my file
> isse-xml.tex.
>
> 2. and then try to access it from Windows, using
> Cygwin.
> {Administrator}[/e/axelle/papers]> ls -al
> total 77
> drwxr-xr-x   1 Administ None            0 Feb 15 16:58
> .
> drwxr-xr-x   1 Administ None            0 Feb 11 17:12
> ..
> drwxr-xr-x   1 Administ None            0 Feb 15 15:23
> CVS
> -rw-r--r--   1 Administ None         7995 Feb 15 16:58
> isse-xml.tex
> {Administrator}[/e/axelle/papers]> id
> uid=500(Administrator) gid=513(None) groups=513(None)
> => Okay so I'm Administrator, the permission access
> rights are rw-r--r-- : so I should have read & write
> access to my file ?
> => BUT When I load the file through Emacs, it's
> non-writable ! Why ?

Let me guess a bit (because I've had the same issue myself): You're on an NT
workstation, with an NTFS filesystem, in an NT domain, and you as an NT user
are local administrator of your workstation? Furthermore you have set
"CYGWIN=ntsec"?

If that's the case be sure your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files are set up
properly, that is by:

mkpasswd -d > /etc/passwd
mkgroup -d > /etc/group

(as is indicated in the User Guide at
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html). Then quit cygwin and restart
it. This should have two effects:
1) you will no more get Administrator in your prompt, but your NT user name
2) you will be able to access your files correctly

Oh, but wait a minute; if I understand correctly what you've said, you
should be using a samba share between your Linux box and your Windows
system, with a windows mount of th esamba share as drive E:?

Then the problem may also be (in addition to the above) that your samba
server is not correctly configured to match your NT user name with your
Linux login. Then it may be samba that refuse the access (although in this
case you should not be able to create new files on the share also).

Please could you be more explicit on the exact setting of your system, as
here there is several piece of software that are interacting and any one can
be the cause of the problem.

HTH

@ 2002-02-18  7:14       ` Axelle Apvrille
From: Axelle Apvrille @ 2002-02-18  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Last I checked emacs was not part of the cygwin
> distribution, so we
> should find out which emacs you're using. Start with
> something simpler.
> Try to find out if it's a cygwin issue, a emacs
> thing or a combination.

Thanks that's a good idea.
> $ touch testing
> $ echo "Testing write access with echo #1"> testing

That works. I can modify the file.
Tried the echo >> file too, and that worked.
=> So I can write over my file...

Could it be that emacs is not launched under the
correct user id ? (ie. emacs would not have the same
rights as I).

I tried the ps command :
> ps
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID
STIME COMMAND
      476       1     476        476  con  500
13:30:18 /usr/bin/bash
     1268     476    1268       1356  con  500
13:31:05 /usr/bin/tcsh
      864    1268     864        864  con  500
13:31:13 /cygdrive/c/softs/emacs-
20.7/bin/emacs
      976    1268     976        292  con  500
16:14:30 /usr/bin/ps

And by the way, my emacs is version 20.7 (for
Windows).

I'm really stuck. Because I'm not sure this is an
Emacs problem, or a CVS problem, or a Cygwin config.
problem...

Axelle.

* Re: Can't obtain write permissions on my file...
@ 2002-02-18  5:03     ` Hack Kampbjørn
From: Hack Kampbjørn @ 2002-02-18  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: axellec; +Cc: cygwin

Axelle Apvrille wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your answer. But the problem I have does
> not concern group ids, but user ids (or so I believe).
> I have made the fix you suggested. Okay so now, my
> group id is no longer "None" but "Administrators".
> I have :
>
> > ls -al
> total 108
> drwxr-xr-x   1 Administ Administ        0 Feb 18 11:37
> .
> drwxr-xr-x   1 Administ Administ        0 Feb 11 17:12
> ..
> drwxr-xr-x   1 Administ Administ        0 Feb 15 15:23
> CVS
> -rw-r--r--   1 Administ Administ     8008 Feb 18 11:27
> isse-xml.tex
> > id
> uid=500(Administrator) gid=544(Administrators)
> groups=544(Administrators)
> > emacs isse-xml.tex &
>
> => When emacs is loaded, he tells me I can't write
> over isse-xml.tex...
> I'm administrator: rights are rw-r--r--. So I should
> have rw- access on the file ! Why can't I write on it
> ?

Last I checked emacs was not part of the cygwin distribution, so we
should find out which emacs you're using. Start with something simpler.
Try to find out if it's a cygwin issue, a emacs thing or a combination.

Do you have write access to the file under cygwin:
$ touch testing
$ echo "Testing write access with echo #1"> testing
$ echo "Testing write access with echo #2">> testing
$ vi testing # Something simple like: OTesting write access with
vi^Esc:wq!

And try step 3 and 4 with the isse-xml.tex file

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Hack Kampbjørn

* Re: Can't obtain write permissions on my file...
@ 2002-02-18  4:35   ` Axelle Apvrille
From: Axelle Apvrille @ 2002-02-18  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 --- Hack Kampbjørn <cygwin@hack.kampbjorn.com> a