From: Dr Bean <drbean@freeshell.org>
To: Dr Bean via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: No Native Language Support in browser started from shell prompt
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2024 13:52:17 +0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, 17 Jun 2024, Dr Bean via Cygwin wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2024, Thomas Wolff via Cygwin wrote:
>

> > Am 14.06.2024 um 09:37 schrieb Dr Bean via Cygwin:
> > > With qutebrowser and Microsoft Edge started from a cygwin shell prompt,
> > > there is no Native Language Support.
> > >
> > > Started from a cmd prompt,
> > >
> > > "c:\Program Files\qutebrowser\qutebrowser.exe" https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%A5%BF%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E3%81%AE%E5%A4%A7%E5%AD%A6%E4%B8%80%E8%A6%A7
> > >
> > > qutebrowser has Chinese and Japanese support.
> > >
> > > But in cygwin neither qutebrowser, started with cygstart or
> > > as /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/qutebrowser/qutebrowser
> > > https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%A5%BF%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E3%81%AE%E5%A4%A7%E5%AD%A6%E4%B8%80%E8%A6%A7
> > >
> > > nor Microsoft Edge as default browser started with cygstart, enjoy NLS support.
> > That page displays fine for me, after starting /Program Files
> > (x86)/Microsoft/Edge/Application/msedge.exe with cygstart. What exactly
> > is the symptom of "no Japanese support"?
>
> I spoke too soon. Microsoft Edge doesn't appear to lack NLS support when
> started from a mintty window either with cygstart or the /cygdrive path.

I installed Google Chrome, and Japanese and Korean
keyboard entry appear to be supported by both IME when it is started
from a mintty window with cygstart or directly with the cygdrive
path.

So this appears to be a limitation specifically of qutebrowser.

I will investigate.

> qutebrowser, started from a mintty window with both cygstart and the /cygdrive
> path, does lack support.
>
> But when started from a 'cmd' prompt as "c:\Program
> Files\qutebrowser\qutebrowser.exe" qutebrowser's NLS support
> doesn't differ from Edge's.
>
> The 3 Japanese, Korean and Traditional Chinese MS IME I have on this Japanese
> Windows 10 computer have various ways of switching between ASCII (I guess)
> keyboard entry and kana, hangul and bopomo entry modes.
>
> The Japanese switch is via the CapsLock key.
> The Korean switch is via clicking a task bar toggle next to the IME icon (?) in
> the lower right hand corner.  The Traditional Chinese switch is Ctrl-Space
>
> None of these toggle switches are responsive with qutebrowser started from a
> mintty window, and I can only input ASCII. (But they are when it's started from
> the 'cmd' prompt or desktop.)
>
> The Korean switch has a pop-up message in Japanese saying the switch is
> inoperative (or disabled.)
>
> > > Of course the IME are working in the mintty bash shell and 'screen' sessions.
> > >
> > > I don't understand.
> > >

> Thanks for your work with mintty.
>

> > --
> > Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> > FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> > Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
>
> --
> Greg "Dr Bean" Matheson		Some are born autonomous. Some achieve
> http://drbean.sdf.org		autonomy. And some have autonomy thrust
> drbean@freeshell.org		upon them. --Dr Bean
>

> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Greg "Dr Bean" Matheson		Failed to turn my reluctant students into
http://drbean.sdf.org		autonomous language learners, but it did
drbean@freeshell.org		wonders for my personal fitness program.