* argp?
@ 2011-09-20  9:12 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-09-20  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'd like to use argp[1] in a Cygwin program, but I see that it's not
implemented in Cygwin.  The catgets and cpio packages have apparently
imported it statically into their source, and advice on the net is to
import their implementations.

Is there a particular reason that argp isn't available in Cygwin, or has it
just never been important enough for someone to bring it in?  Would people
be receptive to having it available as a separate package, say libargp?

[1] http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/Argp.html

* Re: argp?
@ 2011-09-20  9:38 ` Marco atzeri
From: Marco atzeri @ 2011-09-20  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/19/2011 10:43 AM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> I'd like to use argp[1] in a Cygwin program, but I see that it's not
> implemented in Cygwin.  The catgets and cpio packages have apparently
> imported it statically into their source, and advice on the net is to
> import their implementations.
>
> Is there a particular reason that argp isn't available in Cygwin, or has it
> just never been important enough for someone to bring it in?  Would people
> be receptive to having it available as a separate package, say libargp?
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/Argp.html

newlib has the argp implementation only for linux

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=cygwin%2Fcygwin-1.7.9-1-src&grep=argp.h

a general implementation will benefit cygwin

Regard
Marco

* Re: argp?
@ 2011-09-20 22:53 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-09-20 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 04:43:45AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>I'd like to use argp[1] in a Cygwin program, but I see that it's not
>implemented in Cygwin.  The catgets and cpio packages have apparently
>imported it statically into their source, and advice on the net is to
>import their implementations.
>
>Is there a particular reason that argp isn't available in Cygwin, or has it
>just never been important enough for someone to bring it in?  Would people
>be receptive to having it available as a separate package, say libargp?
>
>[1] http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/Argp.html

Looks like this would have to be implemented from scratch since LGPLed code
is not allowed in Cygwin.  The argp implementation in newlib apparently is
just a copy of the glibc code.

I was going to just pull in any *bsd version of this that I could find but
I don't see a non LGPLed version in freebsd, netbsd, or openbsd.

So:  PTC.

cgf

* Re: argp?
@ 2011-09-21  1:00   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-09-21  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 04:43:45AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> >I'd like to use argp[1] in a Cygwin program, but I see that it's not
> >implemented in Cygwin.  The catgets and cpio packages have apparently
> >imported it statically into their source, and advice on the net is to
> >import their implementations.
> >
> >Is there a particular reason that argp isn't available in Cygwin, or has it
> >just never been important enough for someone to bring it in?  Would people
> >be receptive to having it available as a separate package, say libargp?
> >
> >[1] http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/Argp.html
>
> Looks like this would have to be implemented from scratch since LGPLed code
> is not allowed in Cygwin.  The argp implementation in newlib apparently is
> just a copy of the glibc code.
>
> I was going to just pull in any *bsd version of this that I could find but
> I don't see a non LGPLed version in freebsd, netbsd, or openbsd.
>
> So:  PTC.

Ugh.  That's a bummer.  Packaging argp as libargp for Cygwin - I was
getting ready to do that.  Reimplementing it from scratch - no way can I
tackle that.

Now I'm looking in the argp sources used in catgets and cpio.  Comparing
them, it appears that catgets is using LGPL code from 2004, while cpio uses
GPL code from 2010.  I just looked at cpio upstream, and sure enough, it
includes a GPL argp implementation.  I'll look into packaging it.

* Re: argp?
@ 2011-09-21  2:48       ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-09-21  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> LGPLed code is fine.  It just can't be built into the Cygwin DLL.  So,
> if you're looking into packaging anything, I'd use the latest you can
> find.
>
> Or, if you can find an implementation with a "better" license, I'll
> happily pull it into Cygwin itself.

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/cpio/cpio-2.11.tar.gz

See gnu/argp* .  Looks like a complete implementation, all GPL.

* Re: argp?
@ 2011-09-21  2:48     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-09-21  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2011-09-21  3:23         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-09-21  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 01:20:10PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> LGPLed code is fine.  It just can't be built into the Cygwin DLL.  So,
>> if you're looking into packaging anything, I'd use the latest you can
>> find.
>>
>> Or, if you can find an implementation with a "better" license, I'll
>> happily pull it into Cygwin itself.
>
>http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/cpio/cpio-2.11.tar.gz
>
>See gnu/argp* .  Looks like a complete implementation, all GPL.

I guess I'm not being clear because I thought this was understood.  We
can't pull GPLed stuff into the Cygwin DLL because Red Hat won't allow
it.  We can pull in BSD licensed stuff and, in some cases, public domain
stuff.  If above is GPLed then it is obviously not something that can
be pulled into the DLL.

If this is being pulled into a separate package for Cygwin (which would
be fine) it would probably be best if it was LGPLed since that license
would be less of a burden for the users of the library.

cgf

* Re: argp?
@ 2011-09-21  4:33           ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-09-21  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 01:20:10PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> >> LGPLed code is fine.  It just can't be built into the Cygwin DLL.  So,
> >> if you're looking into packaging anything, I'd use the latest you can
> >> find.
> >>
> >> Or, if you can find an implementation with a "better" license, I'll
> >> happily pull it into Cygwin itself.
> >
> >http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/cpio/cpio-2.11.tar.gz
> >
> >See gnu/argp* .  Looks like a complete implementation, all GPL.
>
> I guess I'm not being clear because I thought this was understood.  We
> can't pull GPLed stuff into the Cygwin DLL because Red Hat won't allow
> it.  We can pull in BSD licensed stuff and, in some cases, public domain
> stuff.  If above is GPLed then it is obviously not something that can
> be pulled into the DLL.

OK.  No, I didn't know about that, but then I'm not good at understanding
software licenses.  My otherwise reliable brain pretty much just skips
right over them.

No problem, I'll be glad to package libargp.  I'll see what the latest
versions are I can find that are GPL and LGPL, and pick the LGPL one if
it's not too old.

* Re: argp?
@ 2011-09-21 13:04             ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2011-09-21 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 09/20/2011 11:59 AM, Andrew Schulman wrote:

>>> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/cpio/cpio-2.11.tar.gz
>>>
>>> See gnu/argp* .  Looks like a complete implementation, all GPL.

cpio borrows argp from gnulib, and in gnulib, argp is GPL (because it
has some improvements over glibc) but maintains sync with glibc fixes.

If you're going to pull it from anywhere, I suggest either glibc (LGPL)
or gnulib (GPL, and what is used by cpio and tar, at least).  Either
way, I agree that we're stuck with a separate libargp, because I don't
know of any non-[L]GPL argp implementation.

* Re: argp?
@ 2011-09-21 20:38               ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-09-21 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> cpio borrows argp from gnulib, and in gnulib, argp is GPL (because it
> has some improvements over glibc) but maintains sync with glibc fixes.

Thanks for the pointers.  I just looked in gnulib, and it shows argp as
LGPL.  I can import it using gnulib-tool --lgpl.

I see that I could just import argp from gnulib into my program source, but
my program is actually pretty simple and it seems silly to have its code
dominated by argp.  So I think I'd still rather package libargp separately,
to simplify my code and make it easier for others who may want to use it.