* Another bash problem?
@ 2000-05-31 21:22 Guansong Zhang
From: Guansong Zhang @ 2000-05-31 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I used to export CYGWIN=tty in B20.1, I forgot the exact reason.

But with the latest net release, this setting has a problem.

With the above setting under bash prompt type

$ bash
$ exit

then type any command, bash won't echo it back. This also will happen if you
do a "man" and quit.

So is this setting still recommanded? Or this is a problem?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Guansong

* Re: Another bash problem?
@ 2000-05-31 21:40 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-31 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 12:24:01AM -0700, Guansong Zhang wrote:
>I used to export CYGWIN=tty in B20.1, I forgot the exact reason.
>
>But with the latest net release, this setting has a problem.
>
>With the above setting under bash prompt type
>
>$ bash
>$ exit
>
>then type any command, bash won't echo it back. This also will happen if you
>do a "man" and quit.
>
>So is this setting still recommanded? Or this is a problem?

There are no "recommended" settings for the CYGWIN environment variable.
You can set it to do whatever you think is important.

Unfortunately, I can't duplicate your behavior here.  cygcheck output
might help.

cgf

* Re: Another bash problem?
@ 2000-05-31 22:01   ` Guansong Zhang
From: Guansong Zhang @ 2000-05-31 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

So this IS a problem. I forget to mention, my system is windows 2000.

Guansong

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 12:24:01AM -0700, Guansong Zhang wrote:
> >I used to export CYGWIN=tty in B20.1, I forgot the exact reason.
> >
> >But with the latest net release, this setting has a problem.
> >
> >With the above setting under bash prompt type
> >
> >$ bash
> >$ exit
> >
> >then type any command, bash won't echo it back. This also will happen if
you
> >do a "man" and quit.
> >
> >So is this setting still recommanded? Or this is a problem?
>
> There are no "recommended" settings for the CYGWIN environment variable.
> You can set it to do whatever you think is important.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't duplicate your behavior here.  cygcheck output
> might help.
>
> cgf
>
> --

* Re: Another bash problem?
@ 2000-05-31 22:05     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-31 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 01:02:59AM -0700, Guansong Zhang wrote:
>So this IS a problem. I forget to mention, my system is windows 2000.

So is mine.  I cannot duplicate this.  cygcheck -r -s -v output might help
debug the problem.

cgf

* Re: Another bash problem?
@ 2000-05-31 22:19       ` Guansong Zhang
From: Guansong Zhang @ 2000-05-31 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks a lot. attached is the check out put. By the way, does stty work in
your bash?

Thanks again.

Guansong

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 01:02:59AM -0700, Guansong Zhang wrote:
> >So this IS a problem. I forget to mention, my system is windows 2000.
>
> So is mine.  I cannot duplicate this.  cygcheck -r -s -v output might help
> debug the problem.
>
> cgf

* Re: Another bash problem?
@ 2000-06-02  3:05 ` Kazuhiro Fujieda
From: Kazuhiro Fujieda @ 2000-06-02  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>> On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 00:24:01 -0700
>>> "Guansong Zhang" <guansong@hotmail.com> said:

> I used to export CYGWIN=tty in B20.1, I forgot the exact reason.
> But with the latest net release, this setting has a problem.
> With the above setting under bash prompt type
>
> $ bash
> $ exit
>
> then type any command, bash won't echo it back. This also will happen if you
> do a "man" and quit.

You probably set the CYGWIN variable in .bashrc. This setting
certainly causes such problem. You should set this variable in
the system environment.

There is a more detailed explanation about setting this variable
in the message
< 1DB8BA4BAC88D3118B2300508B5A552CD92546@mail.fitlinxx.com >
from David Bolen.
____
  | AIST      Kazuhiro Fujieda <fujieda@jaist.ac.jp>
  | HOKURIKU  School of Information Science
o_/ 1990      Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology

* Re: Another bash problem?
@ 2000-06-01 10:21 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-01 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guansong Zhang; +Cc: cygwin users

--- Guansong Zhang <guansong@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I happen to use this mount to have a /bin/sh. So I should to create a
> symbolic link instead.

No.  /bin/sh already exists with the new format.

Regards,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: Another bash problem?
@ 2000-06-01  6:14 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-01  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guansong Zhang, cygwin

--- Guansong Zhang <guansong@hotmail.com> wrote:
-8<-

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
>   (default) = `/cygdrive'
>   cygdrive flags = 0x00000020
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
>   (default) = `e:\cygwin'
>   flags = 0x00000002
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/packages
>   (default) = `e:\packages'
>   flags = 0x00000002
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin
>   (default) = `e:\cygwin\bin'
>   flags = 0x00000002
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib
>   (default) = `e:\cygwin\lib'
>   flags = 0x00000002

*****************************
* > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\bin
* >   (default) = `/usr/bin'
* >   flags = 0x00000002
*****************************

Use regedit and delete this entry from the registry entries.

-8<-

> e:\cygwin\bin  /usr/bin  user    binmode
> e:\cygwin\lib  /usr/lib  user    binmode
> e:\packages  /packages  user    binmode
> e:\cygwin  /        user    binmode

* > \usr\bin  bin      user    binmode

It's causing this strange mount point.

You could also try `umount bin' to see if that works but if it doesn't get rid
of this entry the regedit is the only way.

Cheers,

=====
---