* save/restore the console buffer.
@ 2001-08-25 17:29 Kazuhiro Fujieda
From: Kazuhiro Fujieda @ 2001-08-25 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've never enjoy the feature saving/restoring the console
buffer. I understand I can enjoy it with the latest ncurses,
vim, and cygwin packages.  The vim, however, simply clears the
console buffer when it terminates. Do I misunderstand?
____
  | AIST      Kazuhiro Fujieda <fujieda@jaist.ac.jp>
  | HOKURIKU  Center for Information Science
o_/ 1990      Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology

* Re: save/restore the console buffer.
@ 2001-08-25 18:05 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-25 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 09:29:16AM +0900, Kazuhiro Fujieda wrote:
>I've never enjoy the feature saving/restoring the console
>buffer. I understand I can enjoy it with the latest ncurses,
>vim, and cygwin packages.  The vim, however, simply clears the
>console buffer when it terminates. Do I misunderstand?

Huh.  Good point.  I think that vim used to do the right thing.
Did something change?  It works fine with less.

It didn't work fine in B20.1, though.  What's up with that, too?
(Sorry, I felt compelled to add this)

cgf

* Re: save/restore the console buffer.
@ 2001-08-25 19:27   ` Kazuhiro Fujieda
From: Kazuhiro Fujieda @ 2001-08-25 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>> On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 21:05:56 -0400
>>> Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> said:

> Huh.  Good point.  I think that vim used to do the right thing.
> Did something change?  It works fine with less.

Less is compiled not with ncurses but termcap.  The /etc/termcap
in the current termcap package doesn't has `ti' and `te'
capabilities for cygwin, so less doesn't use the feature at all.

Anyway, it didn't work with less even when I added these entries
to /etc/termcap.
____

@ 2001-08-25 19:54     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-25 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 11:27:44AM +0900, Kazuhiro Fujieda wrote:

>>Huh.  Good point.  I think that vim used to do the right thing.  Did
>>something change?  It works fine with less.
>
>Less is compiled not with ncurses but termcap.  The /etc/termcap in the
>current termcap package doesn't has `ti' and `te' capabilities for
>cygwin, so less doesn't use the feature at all.

I just released a new version of termcap with this feature.  I'd built
one of these some time ago when Corinna first added this capability and
forgot to release it.  That's why things work for me.

When I add these to the cygwin entry for terminfo, vim works fine,
too.

I've included the terminfo entry that I used below.

The change the terminfo database, just extract the file
'cygwin-terminfo' and type 'tic cygwin-terminfo'.

cgf

* Re: save/restore the console buffer.
@ 2001-09-03 13:03 ` Kazuhiro Fujieda
From: Kazuhiro Fujieda @ 2001-09-03 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>> On 26 Aug 2001 09:29:16 +0900
>>> Kazuhiro Fujieda <fujieda@jaist.ac.jp> said:

> I've never enjoy the feature saving/restoring the console
> buffer. I understand I can enjoy it with the latest ncurses,
> vim, and cygwin packages.  The vim, however, simply clears the
> console buffer when it terminates. Do I misunderstand?

I found the cause of the problem. There is a mistake in the
terminfo entry for cygwin included in the latest ncurses.

$ infocmp cygwin | grep rmcup
        rmcup=\E[2J\E[?47h\E8, rmir=\E[4l, rmso=\E[27m,
                         ^ It should be `l'.
____

@ 2001-09-03 13:38   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-09-03 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kazuhiro Fujieda; +Cc: cygwin

Kazuhiro Fujieda wrote:

>>I've never enjoy the feature saving/restoring the console
>>buffer. I understand I can enjoy it with the latest ncurses,
>>vim, and cygwin packages.  The vim, however, simply clears the
>>console buffer when it terminates. Do I misunderstand?
>>

> I found the cause of the problem. There is a mistake in the
> terminfo entry for cygwin included in the latest ncurses.
>
> $ infocmp cygwin | grep rmcup
>         rmcup=\E[2J\E[?47h\E8, rmir=\E[4l, rmso=\E[27m,
>                          ^ It should be `l'.

Okay, I've got a few pending fixes for ncurses.  I'll try to get a new
release of ncurses out in the next few days.  Because we still haven't
solved the "multiple binary packages from same source" problem vis a vis
setup.exe, I'm going to do the following:

ncurses-5.2-X.tar.bz2
   contains libs, dll's, headers, binaries
   no terminfo database
ncurses-5.2-X-src.tar.bz2

  contains complete ncurses source (including terminfo.src)

terminfo-5.2-Y.tar.bz2
   contains only terminfo database
terminfo-5.2-Y-src.tar.bz2
   contains a quick-n-dirty makefile and a *FORKED* version
   of terminfo.src from ncurses-5.2-X-src.tar.bz2.  That is,
   this terminfo.src will probably diverge from the one in the
   cygwin-ncurses source package.  I will submit the modifications
   back to Chet, so when GNU-ncurses-5.3 is released, then
   the cygwin-ncurses terminfo.src and cygwin-terminfo terminfo.src
   will be back in sync.  Briefly. :-)

I'm doing this so that I can more quickly release updated terminfo stuff
without rebuilding all of ncurses.

Any objections to this plan?

--chuck

* Re: save/restore the console buffer.