* How to set full control to Everyone on USB hard drive files and   directories?
@ 2010-04-11 15:07 Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2010-04-11 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have some USB hard drives. Up to now I used them formatted in fat32.
Because of the new git version that does not work properly on fat32
drives, I decided to format my disks in ntfs.
Following advices on this list, I removed all default users from root
dir of the USB drives and left only Everyone with full control.
I want to be able to read/write on these USB disks from any computer,
from Windows or Cygwin. Nothing has to be protected.

I expected all new files would get full control for Everyone and no
other permissions. Unfortunately that is true only from Windows, not
from cygwin.
From cygwin:
$ touch foo
gives:
   Domain Users = Read
   MySelf = Read/Write
   Everybody = Read
But I would like only Everybody = Full control.

$ mkdir bar
gives "permissions are not in the right order" when I right click from
Windows on bar and click on security tab.

How can I have all files on these drives with only 1 user, i.e.
Everyone with full control so that I am sure I can read/write the data
from any computer?

Frédéric