* Re: problems with less
@ 2000-04-26  5:59 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-04-26  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John S Cooper, cygwin

--- John S Cooper <John.Cooper@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> Since upgrading to cygwin 1.0 (on Win2K) less no longer displays properly.

Is that cygwin 1.0.0 or cygwin 1.1.0?  The difference is that the cygwin 1.0.0
is the CD version and the cygwin 1.1.0 is the net release.

> I have TERM=cygwin, I have the recently posted /etc/termcap installed and my
> "DOS box" has no scrollbars.
>
> When I `less c:/etc/termcap', the top 3 lines of the file are not shown, even
> after typing `g' (start of file).  However, if I type 'G' (end of file)
> followed by 'g' then it is shown, although searching for strings doesn't
> display the highlighted matches (they seem to be off the top of the screen).
> It's pretty much unusable really.

I just tried thist using NT4 sp4, cygwin 1.1.0 and there wasn't a problem.  I
saw the head of the file, the tail of the file and even the hightlighted search
strings.  BTW, the Command window is set for 2500 lines of buffer with 50 lines
of display.

> However, this works fine with an earlier version of `less' (cygwin B20.1
> compatible?) that I found by following some links on the cygwin site.  BUT
> with
> that version, if I type /foobar<BACKSPACE> the BACKSPACE key doesn't work - I
> get ^H inserted instead, which is a little annoying, but still usable.

Haven't tried that version.

> Please Cc me on any replies as I'm not a member of the list.

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

[parent not found: <Earnie>]
* Re: problems with less
@ 2000-04-26  6:48 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-04-26  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John S Cooper; +Cc: John S Cooper, cygwin

--- John S Cooper <John.Cooper@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>  > > Since upgrading to cygwin 1.0 (on Win2K) less no longer displays
> properly.
>  >
>  > Is that cygwin 1.0.0 or cygwin 1.1.0?  The difference is that the cygwin
> 1.0.0
>  > is the CD version and the cygwin 1.1.0 is the net release.
>
> I pulled it off the net, so it must be 1.1.0.
>
>  > > When I `less c:/etc/termcap', the top 3 lines of the file are not shown,
> even
>  > > after typing `g' (start of file).  However, if I type 'G' (end of file)
>  > > followed by 'g' then it is shown, although searching for strings doesn't
>  > > display the highlighted matches (they seem to be off the top of the
> screen).
>  > > It's pretty much unusable really.
>  >
>  > I just tried thist using NT4 sp4, cygwin 1.1.0 and there wasn't a problem.
>  > I saw the head of the file, the tail of the file and even the hightlighted
>  > search strings.  BTW, the Command window is set for 2500 lines of buffer
>  > with 50 lines of display.
>

> Hmm.  I am using Win2K if that makes any difference.  It seems that the
> display
> is always messed up for me when the file being viewed has lines that wrap
> (i.e., longer than $COLUMNS, which is 80 for me).  I don't use a horizontal
> scrollbar.

My COLUMNS are also 80.
My CYGWIN variable contains only nontsec.
My TERM is cygwin
The `stty' command shows:
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
-imaxbel
-echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

> If I pipe a file with the majority of its lines longer than 80 characters I
> get
> an extra newline everywhere a lines wraps, and after `G' `g', I can no longer
> view the top of the buffer.  Same behavior when running under bash (as
> opposed
> to zsh, my preferred shell).

Line wrapping causes no problems, less is aware.

> The B20.1 `less' doesn't exhibit this behavior.  In fact, I've just
> discovered
> that display problems with my B20.1 less only show up when I provide the -r
> option.  I guess I'll revert to the B20.1 version for now...

I don't know why this would work and the other not work.  AFAIK, the only
difference is that it was rebuilt with no source changes. (Ok, I suppose there
may have been some header changes.)

Regards,

=====
---