* Problem with pthreads
@ 2001-01-05 10:03 Ivan Begtin
From: Ivan Begtin @ 2001-01-05 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

  My problem is that I try to use pthreads in Cygwin. I
wrote simple multithreaded portscanner. It open number of
connections by threads. I am using 10 parallel threads.
I don't know is it lack of my knowledge in multithreaded
programming or problem of Cygwin but my program don't
release used handlers. I monitored it with  Task Manager
during work of program.
For example then I scan ports from from 1 to any greater
(about 120-128) it fail at (about 120-128) port. I am going
to use threads in some my programs, this portscanner is just
example.
  If you need I can send you my sources and binary.

  (Sorry for my english).

        Ivan Begtin.

* Re: Problem with pthreads
@ 2003-02-24 11:33 ` Thomas Pfaff
From: Thomas Pfaff @ 2003-02-24 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Sadusk; +Cc: cygwin

Joe Sadusk wrote:
> I'm in qa, and I'm attempting to port a filesystem stress test written
> for Linux to Windows using cygwin.  It uses pthreads to create many
> concurrent threads which read files out of a directory in various
> patterns.  The thing is, I've found that with any more than 55 threads,
> pthread_join will hang indefinitely, for no apparent reason.  Its also
> only the second call to pthread_join.  Its being called from the creator
> thread and each of the threads were cancelled prior to being joined (and
> the cancel appears to work fine, as all disk activity stops).  Its very
> strange.  With 55 threads everything works exactly as expected, and with
> 56 it doesn't work at all.  Is this a known issue, or am I doing
> something wrong?

Please provide a testcase.

Thomas

* Problem with pthreads
@ 2003-02-21  7:45 Joe Sadusk
From: Joe Sadusk @ 2003-02-21  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm in qa, and I'm attempting to port a filesystem stress test written
for Linux to Windows using cygwin.  It uses pthreads to create many
concurrent threads which read files out of a directory in various
patterns.  The thing is, I've found that with any more than 55 threads,
pthread_join will hang indefinitely, for no apparent reason.  Its also
only the second call to pthread_join.  Its being called from the creator
thread and each of the threads were cancelled prior to being joined (and
the cancel appears to work fine, as all disk activity stops).  Its very
strange.  With 55 threads everything works exactly as expected, and with
56 it doesn't work at all.  Is this a known issue, or am I doing
something wrong?

Thank you in advance if anyone is able to help me.

Joe Sadusk

QA Engineer - Isilon Systems