* POSTSCRIPT PRINTING
@ 1997-10-01 15:14 Tage Westlund
From: Tage Westlund @ 1997-10-01 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hej!
My system is Win95 and I have the binary gnuwin32-b18.
I am not on a network and have no postscript printer, but
I have a valuable Postscript text file. There is no plain
text alternative on the web.
What free software can I download for printing the text?
I hope my case is of general interest for the mailing list
members.
Pure ASCII will be good enough; no need for viewing the text
on the screen.
Own investigation led me to a GNU mirror and to the
ghostscript/ghostview combination. This was easy to download.
I expanded  ghostscript-3.33pc.tar.gz  and was able to start
gs386.exe  which gave an empty window and the prompt GS>
I am aware that the included source for ghostview is to be
compiled so it can control ghostscript to do the viewing and
printing actions, but #include <X11/...> fails. Do I have to
download the whole X11R6 complex of 150 MB? I hesitate!

Are there other free utilities available for printing in Post-
script?

Tage

-

* Re: POSTSCRIPT PRINTING
@ 1997-10-02  2:02 ` Christodoulos G. Fragoudakis
From: Christodoulos G. Fragoudakis @ 1997-10-02  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tage Westlund; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Tage Westlund wrote:

> What free software can I download for printing the text?
>
> Are there other free utilities available for printing in Post-
> script?
>
> Tage

Point you browser to the following URL:

file://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/pc/simtelnet/win95/print

and get the files:

gs403fn1.zip
gs403ini.zip
gs403w32.zip
gsview21.zip

Unzip all of them into the same folder and then try to run the install (or
setup, I dont remember the name of the installation program) program. Then
ghostview will be installed and you will be able to print postcript files
to the normal windows printer.

* Re: POSTSCRIPT PRINTING
@ 1997-10-02  4:30 ` Peter Dalgaard BSA
From: Peter Dalgaard BSA @ 1997-10-02  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tage.westlund; +Cc: gnu-win32

Tage Westlund <tage.westlund@stockholm.mail.telia.com> writes:

> Hej!

Hej på dej!

> My system is Win95 and I have the binary gnuwin32-b18.
> I am not on a network and have no postscript printer, but
> I have a valuable Postscript text file. There is no plain
> text alternative on the web.
> compiled so it can control ghostscript to do the viewing and
> printing actions, but #include <X11/...> fails. Do I have to
> download the whole X11R6 complex of 150 MB? I hesitate!
>
> Are there other free utilities available for printing in Post-
> script?

Forget about gnuwin32 for this, just go to

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

and get GSview. It's free, unless you want to distribute it
commercially, in which case there is a license.

[Actually, I think ghostscript can be compiled as a straight
command-line utility by setting switches properly and excluding the X
drivers, but why bother?]

~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907
-

* POSTSCRIPT PRINTING
@ 1997-10-02 16:15 Tage Westlund
From: Tage Westlund @ 1997-10-02 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Dear list!
Thank you all for advice about how to print Postscript code having
a gnuwin32-b18 Win95 environment. Here is a compressed result.
My mistake was to look for the explicit but obsolete filenames
ghostscript... Look for  gsNNN*.zip  instead.
All mails point at the binary version of ghostscript/ghostview.

Download to one subdirectory:
ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs503/gs503fn1.zip   1142 Kb
                                         /gs503ini.zip    793 Kb
                                         /gs503w32.zip    545 Kb
                                         /gs503fn2.zip   1052 Kb
ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/rjl/gsview23.zip  (23!!)     2232 Kb

Unzip gsview23.zip. Four gsv23xxx.zip  files appear. Unzip the file
gsv23w32.zip. Execute  setup.exe  See four icons. The first click
on the GSview icon will finish the installation.

I found the other night that the number of anonymous visitors to the
source above was > 100 and the site was locked. An alternative is:
ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/pub/soft/ghostscript/aladdin/gs503/*
ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/pub/soft/ghostscript/rjl/*

Still an alternative with not the latest version is:
ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/pc/simtelnet/win95/print/gs403*.zip
                                              /gsview21.zip
Thanks to all that mailed!

Tage, now printer

-