* How to set full control to Everyone on USB hard drive files and   directories?
@ 2010-04-11 15:07 Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2010-04-11 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have some USB hard drives. Up to now I used them formatted in fat32.
Because of the new git version that does not work properly on fat32
drives, I decided to format my disks in ntfs.
Following advices on this list, I removed all default users from root
dir of the USB drives and left only Everyone with full control.
I want to be able to read/write on these USB disks from any computer,
from Windows or Cygwin. Nothing has to be protected.

I expected all new files would get full control for Everyone and no
other permissions. Unfortunately that is true only from Windows, not
from cygwin.
From cygwin:
$ touch foo
gives:
   Domain Users = Read
   MySelf = Read/Write
   Everybody = Read
But I would like only Everybody = Full control.

$ mkdir bar
gives "permissions are not in the right order" when I right click from
Windows on bar and click on security tab.

How can I have all files on these drives with only 1 user, i.e.
Everyone with full control so that I am sure I can read/write the data
from any computer?

Frédéric

* Re: How to set full control to Everyone on USB hard drive files  and   directories?
@ 2010-04-11 15:10 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-04-11 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 11 17:06, Fr?d?ric Bron wrote:
> I have some USB hard drives. Up to now I used them formatted in fat32.
> Because of the new git version that does not work properly on fat32
> drives, I decided to format my disks in ntfs.
> Following advices on this list, I removed all default users from root
> dir of the USB drives and left only Everyone with full control.
> I want to be able to read/write on these USB disks from any computer,
> from Windows or Cygwin. Nothing has to be protected.
>
> I expected all new files would get full control for Everyone and no
> other permissions. Unfortunately that is true only from Windows, not
> from cygwin.
> From cygwin:
> $ touch foo
> gives:
>    Domain Users = Read
>    MySelf = Read/Write
>    Everybody = Read
> But I would like only Everybody = Full control.
>
> $ mkdir bar
> gives "permissions are not in the right order" when I right click from
> Windows on bar and click on security tab.
>
> How can I have all files on these drives with only 1 user, i.e.
> Everyone with full control so that I am sure I can read/write the data
> from any computer?

In Cygwin, create a mount entry for the drive and add the "noacl" flag.
Then set the permissions on the root dir of the drive to full control
for Everyone and make sure permissions are propagted to child objects.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: How to set full control to Everyone on USB hard drive files and   directories?
@ 2010-04-11 16:31   ` Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2010-04-11 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> In Cygwin, create a mount entry for the drive and add the "noacl" flag.
> Then set the permissions on the root dir of the drive to full control
> for Everyone and make sure permissions are propagted to child objects.

Can I do that only for USB drives whatever the windows letter refering
to it (which changes from time to time...)?
It seems, from http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table,
that I must set a windows path as first parameter.
Can I still use /cygdrive or do I need to create another mount point?
Can I still have a difference between read, write, execute flags or
will everything appear as 777?

I have tried that in /etc/fstab:
f:/ /mnt/f cygdrive noacl,nouser,binary,notexec
g:/ /mnt/g cygdrive noacl,nouser,binary,notexec
h:/ /mnt/h cygdrive noacl,nouser,binary,notexec
i:/ /mnt/i cygdrive noacl,nouser,binary,notexec

But when mount does not do anything in /mnt. (I have created the
corresponding directories before).

@ 2010-04-11 20:01     ` Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2010-04-11 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I have tried that in /etc/fstab:
> f:/ /mnt/f cygdrive noacl,nouser,binary,notexec
> g:/ /mnt/g cygdrive noacl,nouser,binary,notexec
> h:/ /mnt/h cygdrive noacl,nouser,binary,notexec
> i:/ /mnt/i cygdrive noacl,nouser,binary,notexec

OK I found the problem:
1) to reload fstab, close all cygwin processes, including X,
2) cygdrive should not be called multiple times in fstab. The right
fstab file is:
none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
f:/ /mnt/f ntfs noacl,nouser,binary
g:/ /mnt/g ntfs noacl,nouser,binary
h:/ /mnt/h ntfs noacl,nouser,binary
i:/ /mnt/i ntfs noacl,nouser,binary

It seems that no error is output if the usb disks are not present and
that they are auto-mounted when plugged in later.
Also it seems it does what I wanted: permissions are just inherited
from parent root dir.

Thanks,

@ 2010-04-11 21:56   ` Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2010-04-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> In Cygwin, create a mount entry for the drive and add the "noacl" flag.
> Then set the permissions on the root dir of the drive to full control
> for Everyone and make sure permissions are propagted to child objects.

I did that but I now have many of the following errors when I backup
my files with rsync from local hard drive d: (ntfs) to usb hard drive
g: (ntfs, mounted with noacl in /mnt/g):

$ rsync --modify-window=1 --recursive --links --executability --times
--quiet --delete /cygdrive/d/Documents /mnt/g/Sauvegarde/

rsync: rename "/mnt/g/Sauvegarde/Documents/Fred/Bal/1.7/Bal/gcc-release/bin/.configure.exe.JVPk8f"
-> "Documents/Fred/Bal/1.7/Bal/gcc-release/bin/configure.exe": Device
or resource busy (16)

when rsync ends, .configure.exe.?????? still exists and configure.exe
does not exist or both do not exist

Each time I try to use ntfs on USB drives, it turns to a nightmare...
maybe I will switch again to fat32.

Frédéric