public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
From: Aaron Weber <aaron@ximian.com>
To: docbook-tools-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: "xmlto pdf" stylesheet issues
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:07:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Heigh ho.

I've got a couple of quick questions.

First, background: I have a multi-file, valid, well-formed Docbook 4.1
XML document.  (xmllint --noount --noent --valid tells me it's OK, at
least). I have converted it into reasonable HTML using the default
stylesheets, with a little customization done by stylesheet-knowers here
at Ximian. All well and good.

My Task: I'm now being asked for a PDF. I have managed to build a
sort-of-ugly PDF (some pages have all the text in a tiny column down one
side, for example, there are no stylesheet images, and I'll definitely
need to customize the variablelists because they give equal space to the
term and its explanation, which is not what I want exactly in terms of
output, etc. etc.).

My Problem:  I can't figure out what it was that I installed that made
it work, so our stylesheet-knowing-person can't actually reproduce even
that much.

I have xmlto 0.0.8-3 and the latest versions of tetex, tetex-dvips,
passivetex, xmltex, and so forth.

My questions:
What packages are required for converting a Docbook XML file to a PDF
file, since it works for me and not for anyone else?

Am I using the recommended procedure, or is there a tool other than
xmlto that I should be using?

Why would a PDF appear so broken when the HTML didn't?  Just the page
size? I can see how running out of space would make a <screen> entry
look pretty broken.

a.