public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-02-22 13:07 ` Peter Toft
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Toft @ 2001-02-22 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I asked about this a year ago, and nobody really could
help me - here goes again:

Using -- in a screen gives an irritating problem in PS
og PDF-output; look at this one

<screen>
d--x--x--x DIR1
dr-xr-xr-x DIR2
</screen>

The output looks in HTML like this (fine)
d--x--x--x DIR1
dr-xr-xr-x DIR2

However PS/PDF sees two consequtive minus-signs as a
long minus, i.e.

d-x-x-x DIR1
dr-xr-xr-x DIR2

It really looks stupid for directory-listings- can I
use a trick to get out of this situation - or trick
pdfjadetex to not combine two minus-signs?

[System; Red Hat 7.0 with updated tetex-pacages from
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>]

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

"Unix? What's that? Is that like Linux?"

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-02-22 14:07   ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2001-02-22 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:06:43PM +0100, Peter Toft wrote:

> It really looks stupid for directory-listings- can I
> use a trick to get out of this situation - or trick
> pdfjadetex to not combine two minus-signs?

It's also plain wrong for (for example) a document contains a snippet
of SGML.

For a work-around, see
but it would be marvellous if this could be fixed somehow.

Tim.
*/
--

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-02-23  7:53   ` Wookey
From: Wookey @ 2001-02-23  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu 22 Feb, Peter Toft wrote:
> I asked about this a year ago, and nobody really could
> help me - here goes again:
>
> Using -- in a screen gives an irritating problem in PS
> og PDF-output; look at this one
>
> <screen>
> d--x--x--x DIR1
> dr-xr-xr-x DIR2
> </screen>
>
> The output looks in HTML like this (fine)
> d--x--x--x DIR1
> dr-xr-xr-x DIR2
>
> However PS/PDF sees two consequtive minus-signs as a
> long minus, i.e.
>
> d-x-x-x DIR1
> dr-xr-xr-x DIR2
>

> It really looks stupid for directory-listings- can I
> use a trick to get out of this situation - or trick
> pdfjadetex to not combine two minus-signs?

Does using &dash;&dash; not work in this context? that's what I used when I
noticed this problem (in exactly the same sort of text, of course). Mine are
inside <literallayout> tags rather than <screen> but I'd hope that wouldn't
matter.

Wookey
--
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-02-23 12:59   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2001-02-23 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Peter Toft <pto@sslug.dk> was heard to say:
| However PS/PDF sees two consequtive minus-signs as a
| long minus, i.e.
|
| d-x-x-x DIR1
| dr-xr-xr-x DIR2
|
| It really looks stupid for directory-listings- can I
| use a trick to get out of this situation - or trick
| pdfjadetex to not combine two minus-signs?

Are you using a recent pdfjadetex? I thought Sebastian fixed this
one long ago?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | There has never been a perfect
http://nwalsh.com/            | government, because men have passions;
                              | and if they did not have passions,
                              | there would be no need for
                              | government.--Voltaire

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-02-23 14:25     ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2001-02-23 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Feb 2001, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Peter Toft <pto@sslug.dk> was heard to say:
> | However PS/PDF sees two consequtive minus-signs as a
> | long minus, i.e.
> |
> | d-x-x-x DIR1
> | dr-xr-xr-x DIR2
> |
> | It really looks stupid for directory-listings- can I
> | use a trick to get out of this situation - or trick
> | pdfjadetex to not combine two minus-signs?
>
> Are you using a recent pdfjadetex? I thought Sebastian fixed this
> one long ago?

Red Hat 7.0 ::

pdfjadetex -v ----->

pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159-0.13d
kpathsea version 3.3.1
Copyright (C) 1999 Han The Thanh, Petr Sojka, and Jiri Zlatuska.
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX copyright and
the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and the pdfTeX source.
Primary author of pdfTeX: Han The Thanh, Petr Sojka,
and Jiri Zlatuska.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

"Ford," he said, "you're turning into a penguin. Stop it!"
 -- HG2TG

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-02-24  5:46   ` Sebastian Rahtz
From: Sebastian Rahtz @ 2001-02-24  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ndw; +Cc: pto, docbook-tools-discuss

Norman Walsh writes:
 > | However PS/PDF sees two consequtive minus-signs as a
 > | long minus, i.e.
 > |
 > | d-x-x-x DIR1
 > | dr-xr-xr-x DIR2
 > |
 > | It really looks stupid for directory-listings- can I
 > | use a trick to get out of this situation - or trick
 > | pdfjadetex to not combine two minus-signs?
 >
 > Are you using a recent pdfjadetex? I thought Sebastian fixed this
 > one long ago?

And I thought it was fixed in Jade itself... its essential insoluble
in jadetex, as the -- translation to - is the font metrics.

Sebastian

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-02-24 14:02     ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2001-02-24 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rahtz; +Cc: ndw, docbook-tools-discuss

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Norman Walsh writes:
>  > | However PS/PDF sees two consequtive minus-signs as a
>  > | long minus, i.e.
>  > |
>  > | d-x-x-x DIR1
>  > | dr-xr-xr-x DIR2
>  > |
>  > | It really looks stupid for directory-listings- can I
>  > | use a trick to get out of this situation - or trick
>  > | pdfjadetex to not combine two minus-signs?
>  >
>  > Are you using a recent pdfjadetex? I thought Sebastian fixed this
>  > one long ago?
>
> And I thought it was fixed in Jade itself... its essential insoluble
> in jadetex, as the -- translation to - is the font metrics.

Then the "-" -> "&dash;" is the way to proceed - only
translated within <screen>-tags. Have to make a
Perl-hack for this :-)

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

"I don't think Microsoft is evil in itself; I just think that they make
really crappy operating systems." -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-02-24 15:56       ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2001-02-24 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Toft; +Cc: Sebastian Rahtz, ndw, docbook-tools-discuss

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 10:21:36PM +0100, Peter Toft wrote:

> Then the "-" -> "&dash;" is the way to proceed - only
> translated within <screen>-tags. Have to make a
> Perl-hack for this :-)

You'll also have to hack '>>', which suffers from a similar
affliction.

Surely the fix is to get better TeX output generated in the first
place?

Tim.
*/
--

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-02-25  8:02         ` Sebastian Rahtz
From: Sebastian Rahtz @ 2001-02-25  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: twaugh; +Cc: pto, ndw, docbook-tools-discuss

Tim Waugh writes:

 > You'll also have to hack '>>', which suffers from a similar
 > affliction.
 >
 > Surely the fix is to get better TeX output generated in the first
 > place?

indeed. you need to generate -{}-, etc. I thought someone had done all
this ages ago.

the alternative is to hack the TeX font metrics, cursing Don Knuth as you go.

sebastian

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-02-28 14:27         ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2001-02-28 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Waugh; +Cc: Sebastian Rahtz, Norman Walsh, docbook-tools-discuss

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 10:21:36PM +0100, Peter Toft wrote:
>
> > Then the "-" -> "&dash;" is the way to proceed - only
> > translated within <screen>-tags. Have to make a
> > Perl-hack for this :-)
>
> You'll also have to hack '>>', which suffers from a similar
> affliction.
>
> Surely the fix is to get better TeX output generated in the first
> place?

HELP - This sucks.

I did replace all my "--" entries with "&dash;&dash;"
in my SGML code, and the <screen>-sections look
terrible, since the &dash; is rendered with a font,
which is much wider than the mono-spaced font used in
the <screen>-section.

So

<screen>
drxw------ DIR
-rwxrwxrwx FILE
</screen>

Looks like

drxw------------ DIR  <---cannot show loooong dashes :-)
-rwxrwxrwx FILE

in the PDF - alignment is bad.

AND -rw-r&dash;&dash;r&dash;&dash;
is actually rendeded as
-rw-r----r----
Yes &dash;&dash; gives four dashes....

I have a problem, since I have a book to finish next
week and promised the publisher a PDF-file ready to
print.

 --
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

Check you back - penguins approaching.....

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-03-01  1:19           ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2001-03-01  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Toft; +Cc: Sebastian Rahtz, Norman Walsh, docbook-tools-discuss

> I did replace all my "--" entries with "&dash;&dash;"

I've had better luck with &mdash;.

Tim.
*/
--

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-03-01  7:38           ` Sebastian Rahtz
From: Sebastian Rahtz @ 2001-03-01  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pto; +Cc: twaugh, ndw, docbook-tools-discuss

Peter Toft writes:
 > I did replace all my "--" entries with "&dash;&dash;"
 > in my SGML code, and the <screen>-sections look
bad idea. replace them "-DASHDASH-", and the replace that with
-{}- in the .tex file

sebastian

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-12-19 22:49 ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2001-12-19 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:06:43PM +0100, Peter Toft wrote:

> It really looks stupid for directory-listings- can I
> use a trick to get out of this situation - or trick
> pdfjadetex to not combine two minus-signs?

It's also plain wrong for (for example) a document contains a snippet
of SGML.

For a work-around, see
but it would be marvellous if this could be fixed somehow.

Tim.
*/
--

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-12-19 22:49 ` Norman Walsh
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Norman Walsh @ 2001-12-19 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Peter Toft <pto@sslug.dk> was heard to say:
| However PS/PDF sees two consequtive minus-signs as a
| long minus, i.e.
|
| d-x-x-x DIR1
| dr-xr-xr-x DIR2
|
| It really looks stupid for directory-listings- can I
| use a trick to get out of this situation - or trick
| pdfjadetex to not combine two minus-signs?

Are you using a recent pdfjadetex? I thought Sebastian fixed this
one long ago?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | There has never been a perfect
http://nwalsh.com/            | government, because men have passions;
                              | and if they did not have passions,
                              | there would be no need for
                              | government.--Voltaire

* Re: <screen>-- </screen>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-12-19 22:49 ` Wookey
From: Wookey @ 2001-12-19 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-12-19 22:49   ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2001-12-19 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Feb 2001, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Peter Toft <pto@sslug.dk> was heard to say:
> | However PS/PDF sees two consequtive minus-signs as a
> | long minus, i.e.
> |
> | d-x-x-x DIR1
> | dr-xr-xr-x DIR2
> |
> | It really looks stupid for directory-listings- can I
> | use a trick to get out of this situation - or trick
> | pdfjadetex to not combine two minus-signs?
>
> Are you using a recent pdfjadetex? I thought Sebastian fixed this
> one long ago?

Red Hat 7.0 ::

pdfjadetex -v ----->

pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159-0.13d
kpathsea version 3.3.1
Copyright (C) 1999 Han The Thanh, Petr Sojka, and Jiri Zlatuska.
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX copyright and
the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and the pdfTeX source.
Primary author of pdfTeX: Han The Thanh, Petr Sojka,
and Jiri Zlatuska.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

"Ford," he said, "you're turning into a penguin. Stop it!"
 -- HG2TG

* <screen>-- </screen>
@ 2001-12-19 22:49 Peter Toft
                   ` (3 more replies)