public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* SGML beautifier?
@ 2002-01-19 11:21 ` Hugo van der Kooij
From: Hugo van der Kooij @ 2002-01-19 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

Hi,

Is there a way to reformat (and indent correctly) an existing DocBook SGML
document?

I don't use (x)emacs nor am I willing to do so. I have the habit of
editting from a remote terminal or sometimes even a real life local
terminal (vt420) but would like to reformat some of my documents as I have
been too lazy in the past.

Any suggestions?

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/

* Re: SGML beautifier?
@ 2002-01-20  6:07   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2002-01-20  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo van der Kooij; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

/ Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org> was heard to say:
| Is there a way to reformat (and indent correctly) an existing DocBook SGML
| document?
[...]
| Any suggestions?

Proceed with caution. As a general rule, you cannot pretty-print an
SGML or XML document without knowing the schema (lowercase S)
associated with it. That's because the significance of whitespace is
not apparent from the tags along, only from the content models.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Time wounds all heels.
http://nwalsh.com/            |

* Re: SGML beautifier?
@ 2002-01-22  2:03   ` Ismael Olea
From: Ismael Olea @ 2002-01-22  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

El sáb, 19-01-2002 a las 20:21, Hugo van der Kooij escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to reformat (and indent correctly) an existing DocBook SGML
> document?

A friend had wrote a perl tool for that. I've got it for some weeks but
I haven't got the time to test it.

If you test it I'll thanks your comment.

http://www.olea.org/tmp/indent-sgml-xml/

The author is at mailto:hector@debian.org

> I don't use (x)emacs nor am I willing to do so. I have the habit of
> editting from a remote terminal or sometimes even a real life local
> terminal (vt420) but would like to reformat some of my documents as I have
> been too lazy in the past.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Hugo.
>
> --
> All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
>     hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
> 	    Don't meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
> 	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.
--
	A.Ismael Olea González

	mailto:ismael@olea.org
	http://www.olea.org

	El mundo debe empezar a tener miedo a un planeta OLEA

* Re: SGML beautifier?
@ 2002-01-22 11:46     ` Hugo van der Kooij
From: Hugo van der Kooij @ 2002-01-22 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 Jan 2002, Ismael Olea wrote:

> El sáb, 19-01-2002 a las 20:21, Hugo van der Kooij escribió:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to reformat (and indent correctly) an existing DocBook SGML
> > document?
>
> A friend had wrote a perl tool for that. I've got it for some weeks but
> I haven't got the time to test it.
>
> If you test it I'll thanks your comment.
>
> http://www.olea.org/tmp/indent-sgml-xml/

I tried to feed it some coffee:

../../SOFTWARE/indentar.pl Coffee.sgml

syntax error at line 1, column 61, byte 61 at ../../SOFTWARE/indentar.pl line 34

I found another script that does them all but it jumbles my <screen>
sections.

Hugo.

--

@ 2002-01-24 12:33       ` Ismael Olea
From: Ismael Olea @ 2002-01-24 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

El mar, 22-01-2002 a las 20:36, Hugo van der Kooij escribió:

I send a copy to the author.

> On 22 Jan 2002, Ismael Olea wrote:
>
> > El sáb, 19-01-2002 a las 20:21, Hugo van der Kooij escribió:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there a way to reformat (and indent correctly) an existing DocBook SGML
> > > document?
> >
> > A friend had wrote a perl tool for that. I've got it for some weeks but
> > I haven't got the time to test it.
> >
> > If you test it I'll thanks your comment.
> >
> > http://www.olea.org/tmp/indent-sgml-xml/
>
> I tried to feed it some coffee:
>
> ../../SOFTWARE/indentar.pl Coffee.sgml
>
> syntax error at line 1, column 61, byte 61 at ../../SOFTWARE/indentar.pl line 34
>
> I found another script that does them all but it jumbles my <screen>
> sections.
>
> Hugo.
>
> --
> All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
>     hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
> 	    Don't meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
> 	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.
--
	A.Ismael Olea González

	mailto:ismael@olea.org
	http://www.olea.org

	El mundo debe empezar a tener miedo a un planeta OLEA

* SGML beautifier?
@ 2002-12-20 19:23 Hugo van der Kooij
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hugo van der Kooij @ 2002-12-20 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

@ 2002-12-20 19:23 ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2002-12-20 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo van der Kooij; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

/ Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org> was heard to say:
| Is there a way to reformat (and indent correctly) an existing DocBook SGML
| document?
[...]

@ 2002-12-20 19:23     ` Ismael Olea
From: Ismael Olea @ 2002-12-20 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)