public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* add w3m to txt script please?
@ 2004-02-05 23:27 lists
From: lists @ 2004-02-05 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

/usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.12/backends/txt
On my system I've added:
elif [ -x /usr/bin/w3m ]
then
  CONVERT=/usr/bin/w3m
  ARGS="-dump"

* Re: add w3m to txt script please?
@ 2004-02-06 11:21 ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2004-02-06 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 06:27:36PM -0500, lists@m8y.org wrote:

> /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.12/backends/txt
> On my system I've added:
> elif [ -x /usr/bin/w3m ]
> then
>   CONVERT=/usr/bin/w3m
>   ARGS="-dump"

What specifically does w3m do better than links or lynx?

Thanks,
Tim.
*/

* Re: add w3m to txt script please?
@ 2004-02-06 12:54   ` Éric Bischoff
From: Éric Bischoff @ 2004-02-06 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Waugh, lists; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Le Vendredi 6 Février 2004 12:21, Tim Waugh a écrit :
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 06:27:36PM -0500, lists@m8y.org wrote:
> > /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.12/backends/txt
> > On my system I've added:
> > elif [ -x /usr/bin/w3m ]
> > then
> >   CONVERT=/usr/bin/w3m
> >   ARGS="-dump"
>
> What specifically does w3m do better than links or lynx?

Well, I think that even if it does not do anything different, at least it can
be used if one of the previous ones does not exist.

--
Researchers at Oxford University spent 10 years studying homing pigeons using
global positioning satellite (GPS) and were stunned to find the birds often

* Re: add w3m to txt script please?
@ 2004-02-06 15:39   ` lists
From: lists @ 2004-02-06 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 06:27:36PM -0500, lists@m8y.org wrote:
>
> > /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.12/backends/txt
> > On my system I've added:
> > elif [ -x /usr/bin/w3m ]
> > then
> >   CONVERT=/usr/bin/w3m
> >   ARGS="-dump"
>
> What specifically does w3m do better than links or lynx?

Well, first and foremost it is the browser I have on my system.
Features I like?
Well, I'm used to it.  How hard can it be for you to add those 4 lines to the test?
It does tabbed browsing beautifully.  I usually have 6 tabs open.
It does frames artfully.
It draws page elements superior to lynx.  But not links.
It also, being written by a japanese dude, does cjk quite well.
When I have a DISPLAY set it will interact with the mouse and draw images on the page.  Handy when I switch screen to my home computer again.
I love the prefs page...
Hey, why don't you look it over?
http://w3m.sourceforge.net/
http://pub.ks-and-ks.ne.jp/prog/w3mmee/
http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org
http://www.neilvandyke.org/w3mnav/
http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~hsaka/w3m/
http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/knabe/w3m/w3m.html

* Re: add w3m to txt script please?
@ 2004-02-06 17:17     ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2004-02-06 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:39:36AM -0500, lists@m8y.org wrote:

> It does tabbed browsing beautifully.  I usually have 6 tabs open.

That's great, really.  But I'm sort of asking about its text
formatting capabilities. :-)

I know how to use w3m.

Tim.
*/

* Re: add w3m to txt script please?
@ 2004-02-06 18:31       ` lists
From: lists @ 2004-02-06 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:39:36AM -0500, lists@m8y.org wrote:
>
> > It does tabbed browsing beautifully.  I usually have 6 tabs open.
>
> That's great, really.  But I'm sort of asking about its text
> formatting capabilities. :-)
>
> I know how to use w3m.

Well, you were asking what it did *better*.
Thus, my response.
As far as I'm concerned, doing frames already puts it ahead of lynx.
And you adding those 4 lines will eliminate the need for me to have the lynx package on my system which is there purely for docbook tools.

Since you say you know how to use w3m, I'm not certain what you're asking about then, you should already be familiar with what its dump output looks like.

But here's a snippet anyway.
$ w3m -dump slashdot.org | head -25
 OSDN : Browse SourceForge - Shop ThinkGeek - freshmeat          Search >>   X
Downloads - Newsletters - Personals

Welcome to Slashdot        Books   Spam   KDE  The Almighty Buck       Music
 Login            #Your Rights Online: HP Discusses                  Apache
 Why Login?       Anti-Counterfeiting Measures                       . Secure Mini-Apache for
 Why Subscribe?                                                      Embedded Linux
                  Printers                                           . Apache License Updated to 2.0
 Sections                                                            . Slashback: Princeton, Terror,
 Main             Posted by michael on Friday February 06,           Farscape
 Apache           @01:18PM                                           . JBoss Queries Apache Geronimo
 Apple            from the monopoly-money dept.                      Code Similarity
  1 more          JohnA writes "While searching for drivers for an   . Apache Axis C++ v1.0 (Alpha)
 Askslashdot      HP printer that was given to me, I noticed an      Released
  7 more          article on the front page of hp.com that brags     . Netcraft Claims Apache Now
 Books            about how HP's R&D department was able to insert   Runs 2/3rds Of The Web
 BSD              flaws into their products to 'deter'               . Apache 2.0.48 Released
 Developers       counterfeiting. I'm so glad we have HP looking     . Apache HTTP Server 1.3.29
  9 more          out for us..."                                     Released
 Games                                                               . New Apache Module For Web
  15 more         ( Read More... | 29 of 43 comments |               Intrusion Detection
 Interviews       yro.slashdot.org )                                 . Registration Opens For
 Science                                                             ApacheCon US 2003
  4 more          #Book Reviews: The Golden Ratio
 YRO                                                                 Slashdot Login

* Re: add w3m to txt script please?
@ 2004-02-11 14:29     ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2004-02-11 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Éric Bischoff; +Cc: lists, docbook-tools-discuss

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 01:57:55PM +0100, Éric Bischoff wrote:

> > What specifically does w3m do better than links or lynx?
>
> Well, I think that even if it does not do anything different, at
> least it can be used if one of the previous ones does not exist.

That's true.  Added to CVS.

Tim.
*/

* Re: add w3m to txt script please?
@ 2004-02-12 14:49       ` Éric Bischoff
From: Éric Bischoff @ 2004-02-12 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Waugh; +Cc: lists, docbook-tools-discuss

Le Mercredi 11 Février 2004 15:29, Tim Waugh a écrit :
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 01:57:55PM +0100, Éric Bischoff wrote:
> > > What specifically does w3m do better than links or lynx?
> >
> > Well, I think that even if it does not do anything different, at
> > least it can be used if one of the previous ones does not exist.
>
> That's true.  Added to CVS.

Thanks.

--
http://see-you.on-the.dark-side.of-the.moo