public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* paper type
@ 2005-04-26  6:08 Hubert Sokolowski
From: Hubert Sokolowski @ 2005-04-26  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

Hi!

Sorry, if my problem was discussed on this list, I am very new to DocBook.

I have a DocBook document starting with
<!DOCTYPE informaltable PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD Docbook XML V4.1//EN"
                  "/usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-4.1/docbook.dtd">
        <informaltable orient="land" frame="all">        <tgroup cols="11">

and I want it to convert to PDF using landscape page orientation.
I use db2pdf to do this. But the only way I found to convert paper type is
to edit docbook-utils.dsl located in /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.14
on my system. Is it possible to pass this parameter somehow from the
command line or  from my DocBook sources?

regards
hs

* Re: paper type
@ 2005-04-26 10:16 ` Éric Bischoff
From: Éric Bischoff @ 2005-04-26 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

Le Mardi 26 Avril 2005 08:08, Hubert Sokolowski a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> Sorry, if my problem was discussed on this list, I am very new to DocBook.
>
> I have a DocBook document starting with
> <!DOCTYPE informaltable PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD Docbook XML V4.1//EN"
>                   "/usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-4.1/docbook.dtd">
>         <informaltable orient="land" frame="all">        <tgroup cols="11">
>
> and I want it to convert to PDF using landscape page orientation.
> I use db2pdf to do this. But the only way I found to convert paper type is
> to edit docbook-utils.dsl located in /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.14
> on my system. Is it possible to pass this parameter somehow from the
> command line or  from my DocBook sources?

Hmmm. You can provide several entries in the stylesheet, one for each paper
size. Then it should be possible to select the correct entry with a syntax
like style.dsl#a4 or style.dsl#letter. However, if I remind correctly, the
docbook-utils work with default entries like #print. Perharprs it would
require some adaptation.

Sorry not to be more precise.

--
Never try and teach a pig to sing,
you waste your time and annoy the pig

* Re: paper type
@ 2005-04-26 11:09   ` Hubert Sokolowski
From: Hubert Sokolowski @ 2005-04-26 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

> Le Mardi 26 Avril 2005 08:08, Hubert Sokolowski a ĂŠcrit :
>> Hi!
>>
>> Sorry, if my problem was discussed on this list, I am very new to
>> DocBook.
>>
>> I have a DocBook document starting with
>> <!DOCTYPE informaltable PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD Docbook XML V4.1//EN"
>>                   "/usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-4.1/docbook.dtd">
>>         <informaltable orient="land" frame="all">        <tgroup
>> cols="11">
>>
>> and I want it to convert to PDF using landscape page orientation.
>> I use db2pdf to do this. But the only way I found to convert paper type
>> is
>> to edit docbook-utils.dsl located in
>> /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.14
>> on my system. Is it possible to pass this parameter somehow from the
>> command line or  from my DocBook sources?
>
> Hmmm. You can provide several entries in the stylesheet, one for each
> paper
> size. Then it should be possible to select the correct entry with a syntax
> like style.dsl#a4 or style.dsl#letter. However, if I remind correctly, the
> docbook-utils work with default entries like #print. Perharprs it would
> require some adaptation.

thanks for you reply. I have managed to solve this problem by editing
docbook-utils.dsl and saving it to another dsl file, so I can pass this
file on a command line for db2pdf. I can distribute this dsl file with my
application to other systems without the need to edit docbook-utils.dsl.
But I stopped using DocBook for my application for now, because I could
not solve problems with tables, column widths and preformatted text in
entries. Now I create PDFs from HTML using htmldoc and I have beautifull
tables :). I could switch back if there was a way to have column width in
a table set automatically.

* Re: paper type
@ 2005-04-26 11:46     ` Éric Bischoff
From: Éric Bischoff @ 2005-04-26 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss; +Cc: Hubert Sokolowski

Le Mardi 26 Avril 2005 13:09, Hubert Sokolowski a écrit :
> thanks for you reply. I have managed to solve this problem by editing
> docbook-utils.dsl and saving it to another dsl file, so I can pass this
> file on a command line for db2pdf.

Ah yes, that works too. I was considering a solution based on one single
generic style sheet. But it's of course simpler to use one style sheet per
paper format.

> I can distribute this dsl file with my
> application to other systems without the need to edit docbook-utils.dsl.
> But I stopped using DocBook for my application for now, because I could
> not solve problems with tables, column widths and preformatted text in
> entries. Now I create PDFs from HTML using htmldoc and I have beautifull
> tables :). I could switch back if there was a way to have column width in
> a table set automatically.

Have you tried more recent styles sheets ? The fo ones, using fop. Perharps it
would solve your problems with tables. And it would be much a cleaner
solution than one based on HTML...

--

@ 2005-04-26 11:57       ` Hubert Sokolowski
From: Hubert Sokolowski @ 2005-04-26 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

> Have you tried more recent styles sheets ? The fo ones, using fop.
> Perharps it
> would solve your problems with tables. And it would be much a cleaner
> solution than one based on HTML...

No, I just used the one from sgml-tools package. Where can I get better
styles sheets? I downloaded fop-0.20.5 but there is no *.dsl files in it.

* Re: paper type
@ 2005-04-26 12:56         ` Éric Bischoff
From: Éric Bischoff @ 2005-04-26 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss; +Cc: Hubert Sokolowski

Le Mardi 26 Avril 2005 13:57, Hubert Sokolowski a écrit :
> > Have you tried more recent styles sheets ? The fo ones, using fop.
> > Perharps it
> > would solve your problems with tables. And it would be much a cleaner
> > solution than one based on HTML...
>
> No, I just used the one from sgml-tools package. Where can I get better
> styles sheets? I downloaded fop-0.20.5 but there is no *.dsl files in it.

FOP is the rendering engine, just like TeX was at old sgml-tools and
docbook-utils times. It does not know anything about docbook.

The docbook XSLT stylesheets that take care of the rendering details, and that
replace the old DSSL stylesheets, are distributed by Norman Walsh. Under
Linux, look for packages like docbook-xsl-stylesheets. Under Windows or Mac
OS, I don't know, but it must be something similar.

--

@ 2005-04-28 13:28             ` Éric Bischoff
From: Éric Bischoff @ 2005-04-28 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss; +Cc: Hubert Sokolowski

Le Jeudi 28 Avril 2005 12:41, Hubert Sokolowski a écrit :
> thanks for your reply, I have solved my all problems with generating pdf
> from DocBook. Now the problem is that all columns in a table has the same
> width.
> It looks like that
>
> http://oceanic.wsisiz.edu.pl/~sokolowh/mieszko.pdf
>
> sgml file
> http://oceanic.wsisiz.edu.pl/~sokolowh/mieszko.sgml

You probably need <colspec colwidth="1*"> or things like that.

But that's a docbook question, please switch to a docbook-dedidcated list for
such questions.

--

@ 2005-04-28 10:41           ` Hubert Sokolowski
From: Hubert Sokolowski @ 2005-04-28 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

> Le Jeudi 28 Avril 2005 08:15, Hubert Sokolowski a ĂŠcrit :
>> > Le Mercredi 27 Avril 2005 14:04, Hubert Sokolowski a ĂŠcrit :
>> >
>> > That file is probably broken.
>>
>> it looks like this
>>
>> OVERRIDE YES
>
> Try removing the OVERRIDE option
thanks for your reply, I have solved my all problems with generating pdf
from DocBook. Now the problem is that all columns in a table has the same
width.
It looks like that

http://oceanic.wsisiz.edu.pl/~sokolowh/mieszko.pdf

sgml file
http://oceanic.wsisiz.edu.pl/~sokolowh/mieszko.sgml

pdf was created with command
openjade -t tex -d
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/docbook-dsssl-1.79/print/docbook.dsl mieszko.sgml

and
pdfjadetex mieszko.tex

Any ideas how to make tables behave like in html, so columns are
automatically set to the minimal width?

hs

* Re: paper type
@ 2005-04-28 10:36         ` Éric Bischoff
From: Éric Bischoff @ 2005-04-28 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss; +Cc: Hubert Sokolowski

@ 2005-04-28  6:15       ` Hubert Sokolowski
From: Hubert Sokolowski @ 2005-04-28  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

> Le Mercredi 27 Avril 2005 14:04, Hubert Sokolowski a ĂŠcrit :
>> /usr/share/sgml/docbook/docbook-dsssl-1.79/common/catalog
>
> That file is probably broken.

it looks like this

OVERRIDE YES
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//AF"
"dbl1af.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//BG"
"dbl1bg.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//BS"
"dbl1bs.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//CA"
"dbl1ca.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//CS"
"dbl1cs.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//DA"
"dbl1da.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//DE"
"dbl1de.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//EL"
"dbl1el.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//EN"
"dbl1en.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//ES"
"dbl1es.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//ET"
"dbl1et.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//EU"
"dbl1eu.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//FI"
"dbl1fi.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//FR"
"dbl1fr.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//HU"
"dbl1hu.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//IN"
"dbl1id.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//IT"
"dbl1it.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//JA"
"dbl1ja.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//KO"
"dbl1ko.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//NL"
"dbl1nl.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//NN"
"dbl1nn.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//NO"
"dbl1no.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//PL"
"dbl1pl.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//PT"
"dbl1pt.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//PTBR"
"dbl1ptbr.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//RO"
"dbl1ro.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//RU"
"dbl1ru.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//SK"
"dbl1sk.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//SL"
"dbl1sl.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//SR"
"dbl1sr.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//SV"
"dbl1sv.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//TR"
"dbl1tr.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//UK"
"dbl1uk.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//XH"
"dbl1xh.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//ZHCN"
"dbl1zhcn.ent"
PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//ENTITIES DocBook Stylesheet Localization//ZHTW"
"dbl1zhtw.ent"

* Re: paper type
@ 2005-04-27 13:24     ` Éric Bischoff
From: Éric Bischoff @ 2005-04-27 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss; +Cc: Hubert Sokolowski

@ 2005-04-27 12:05   ` Hubert Sokolowski
From: Hubert Sokolowski @ 2005-04-27 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

> Le Mercredi 27 Avril 2005 11:16, Hubert Sokolowski a ĂŠcrit :
>> Hi!
>>
>> Sorry for asking again, as I suppose, very newbie questions. I have
>> upgraded  openjade and jadetex to the latest versions, and installed
>> Normal Walsh's style sheets. I also have some xml tests documents. How
>> generate a PDF document from for example informaltable.001.xml (as found
>> in docbook-testdocs-1.1) using openjade and jadetex ?
>
> docbook2html ?
>
> But if you want to use fop, as your previous messge stated, you don't need
> neither openjade nor jadetex. That's for DSSSL.
I have decided to use openjade with DSSSL and pdfjadetex. but when I
execute a command
 openjade -s /usr/share/sgml/docbook/docbook-dsssl-1.79/common/catalog -d
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/docbook-dsssl-1.79/print/docbook.dsl file.xml

I get errors like this
openjade:E: error reading
"/usr/share/sgml/docbook/docbook-dsssl-1.79/print" (It is a directory)
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/docbook-dsssl-1.79/common/catalog:1:0:E:
character "O" not allowed in prolog

openjade:E: specification document does not have the DSSSL architecture as
a base architecture

this is probably a bad way to execute openjade but I could not find any
examples on it.

* Re: paper type
@ 2005-04-27 11:47 ` Éric Bischoff
From: Éric Bischoff @ 2005-04-27 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)