"Alan W. Irwin" wrote: > > Eric, thanks for that earlier acknowledgment that you have at least seen my > pdfjadetex bug report. Since you have so much to do I will be patient, and > I will try to help out as much as possible by what I hope are clear bug > reports and examples. While we wait for you to get a chance to sort out > these problems I have found, a subset of our team can build our > documentation on Debian DocBook 4.1 XML instead. But we are looking forward > to when this will all work properly on Cygnus/RedHat as well. Thanks for your patience. For the moment, I'm putting the pressure on supporting Asian languages in printed output, and my TODO list is growing ;-). > This current post is a bug report for entities that Cygnus just cannot seem > to find although they are defined within the catalog chain. I believe these > entity problems are completely independent of the pdfjadetex problem I > reported before. I am only copying that other bug report below so you will > know all the details of my system. Sorry that I could not actually find a > solution of these entity problems, but here are the symptoms for a simple > example with egrave. > > jade -c /etc/sgml/catalog -d > /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.57/print/docbook.dsl -t tex > /usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl hello_world.xml > jade:hello_world.xml:6:26:E: general entity "egrave" not defined and no > default entity The cygnus packages come with a package named "docbook-utils", which include scripts like "docbook2tex" (formerly db2tex) who make all this catalog thingy transparent. Give them a try, it will avoid you building complex command lines like this one. I advice you *NOT* to use /etc/sgml/catalog. This is the "super-catalog" that references indirectly *every* declared SGML file on you systems via four levels of indirection. So it's both slow and is not guaranteed to be bulletproof against declaration conflicts. It is meant as a "last chance" solution. > Perhaps there is some minor typo in this chain of catalogs, but I cannot > spot it so I have no idea why egrave is undefined as far as jade is > concerned. This is just a wild guess, but perhaps jade cannot handle a > four-level deep catalog chain as above? It can ;-), but try using /etc/sgml/xml-docboook-4.1 to avoid declaration conflicts. Please also check that you have read access on every file on the chain. If this does not work try declaring explicitely '-c /usr/share/sgml/sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/catalog" on the command line and mail me privately. > To test that wild guess I tried specifying two catalog entries as a > colon-separated list, i.e., > jade -c \ > /etc/sgml/catalog:/usr/share/sgml/sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/ISOlat1.ent \ The colon syntax works only for the SGML_CATALOG_FILES environment variable. Use several -c arguments. You're the first one to describe such a problem. -- +----------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Éric Bischoff mailto:e.bischoff@noos.fr | in case of problems: ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr +----------------------------------------------------------------------+