public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* [David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>] Re: PDFJadeTeX Memory problems
@ 1999-10-29  9:07 Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 1999-10-29  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

Amigos, this is an interesting note for people to try.  I know that on
this list people have been saying "I can get jadetex to work with the
size patches, but I can't get pdfjadetex going".

This might be a clue.  Does anyone want to try it out?

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:44:50 +0100 (BST)
From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
To: dssslist@mulberrytech.com
Subject: Re: PDFJadeTeX Memory problems

> Is the parameter stack size controlled by a parameter not listed in my
> texmf.cnf file?  "param_size" does not appear to be working.

no it's this:

> param_size.jadetex = 15000

but clearly hasn't worked since the value when it died was 6000

> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [parameter stack size=6000].

However this is massive (I think the old compiled in default used to be
around 50 and very few people ever hit it)

It's not impossible that jadetex has hit some unbounded recursion
and will fill any finite stack. So before working out why your
new setting hasn't take effect it might be worth running with
\tracingmacros=2 inserted at the top of the tex file.
Then take a deep breath and inspect the log file, see if tex appears
to be stuck in a loop.

David

* Re: [David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>] Re: PDFJadeTeX Memory problems
@ 1999-10-29  9:21 ` David C. Mason
From: David C. Mason @ 1999-10-29  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

If you still have trouble, and you have ghostscript installed, you can
always run the following on your postscript files:

$gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=myfilename.pdf myfile.ps

works for me

Dave

--

          David Mason
        Red Hat AD Labs

        dcm@redhat.com

* Re: [David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>] Re: PDFJadeTeX Memory problems
@ 1999-10-30 20:40 ` Thomas Porter
From: Thomas Porter @ 1999-10-30 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss; +Cc: Mark Galassi

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 10:06:51AM -0600, Mark Galassi thoughtfully expounded:

> Amigos, this is an interesting note for people to try.  I know that on
> this list people have been saying "I can get jadetex to work with the
> size patches, but I can't get pdfjadetex going".
>
> This might be a clue.  Does anyone want to try it out?

Forwarded message about increasing logging detail snipped.

As others have posted to various TeX NG's, this has almost certainly been a
recursion problem, particularly centering around what looks to me to be a
problem with lduseb@x:

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [parameter stack size=6000].
\@lduseb@x #1->
               \@lduseb@x {#1}\set@color
l.3690 {0}}1. \endLineField
                           {}Use \Node%
If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

I got the newest jadtex source from http://tug.org/applications/jadetex/ and
rebuilt the jadetex and pdfjadetex fmt's.  This worked fine!  Just wanted to
let you know.

--
Tom Porter                                       txporter@mindspring.com
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],

* Re: [David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>] Re: PDFJadeTeX Memory problems
@ 1999-10-31 12:26   ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 1999-10-31 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: txporter; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

    Thomas> I got the newest jadtex source from
    Thomas> http://tug.org/applications/jadetex/ and rebuilt the
    Thomas> jadetex and pdfjadetex fmt's.  This worked fine!  Just
    Thomas> wanted to let you know.

Thomas, thanks for checking this out.

Inspired by what you did, I have upgraded the jadetex package to
version 2.7.

I have also upgraded the PSGML package to 1.2.1, even though it is a
beta version.  It seems to work fine.

I will announce them in more detail later.