public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* Graphics image question
@ 2001-01-20 14:11 ` Stephen Wilhelm
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stephen Wilhelm @ 2001-01-20 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone.  I have a DocBook document that has some images in it.  I
use the Cygnus tools to publish the SGML sources.  Now, db2html does a
great job, but db2ps and db2pdf gives some LaTeX errors about gif images
not being supported.  I switched to jpeg images, but the resulting
Postscript and PDF files look absolutely horrible (in one case, each pixel
of the image was rendered as a 50 pixel block, which is obviously
unacceptable).

So, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get gif's or jpeg's
working?  If not, is there another image format that I should consider?
The only thing I would require from another format would be that it must
work with web browsers as well (so no eps files).

Any suggestions?

--
Stephen Wilhelm
    See my Gtk-Perl Tutorial:

* Re: Graphics image question
@ 2001-01-20 14:22   ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2001-01-20 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Stephen Wilhelm wrote:

> Hello everyone.  I have a DocBook document that has some images in it.  I
> use the Cygnus tools to publish the SGML sources.  Now, db2html does a
> great job, but db2ps and db2pdf gives some LaTeX errors about gif images
> not being supported.  I switched to jpeg images, but the resulting
> Postscript and PDF files look absolutely horrible (in one case, each pixel
> of the image was rendered as a 50 pixel block, which is obviously
> unacceptable).
>
> So, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get gif's or jpeg's
> working?  If not, is there another image format that I should consider?
> The only thing I would require from another format would be that it must
> work with web browsers as well (so no eps files).

To my knowledge db2ps is the show-stopper - I only eats
.eps-files.

Try the following - Note line no 2. with magic

<!doctype book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
<!ENTITY % magic-entities SYSTEM "magic.sgml">
  %magic-entities;  <!-- This is where we include it -->
<!entity frihedendato SYSTEM "dato.sgml">
<!entity frihedenversion SYSTEM "version.sgml">
<!entity frihedenappendixRevHist SYSTEM "apprevhist.sgml">
]>

I include three files here....

I have a makefile, where I do
        echo '<!ENTITY magic "png">' > magic.sgml
if I output pdf or html

If I do ps-output, then I have
        echo '<!ENTITY magic "eps">' > magic.sgml

Then I use ImageMagick to convert all my png-files to
eps if ps-output

find images/*.png | sed 's/.png//' | sed 's=images/==' | \
xargs -i% /usr/X11R6/bin/convert -antialias images/%.png eps2:bogps/%.eps

Well - It is not that straight-forward, but once you
have the setup of the first makefile, then I works.
You can see a Makefile in
http://cvs.sslug.dk/linuxbog/web/Makefile

Best

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

"You don't win a battle by asking, `Will we win?'
You win it by doing your best to win" - Richard M Stallman

LinuxKonference i København: http://LinuxForum.dk/

* Re: Graphics image question
@ 2001-01-21  1:15     ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2001-01-21  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Peter Toft wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Stephen Wilhelm wrote:
>

> > Hello everyone.  I have a DocBook document that has some images in it.  I
> > use the Cygnus tools to publish the SGML sources.  Now, db2html does a
> > great job, but db2ps and db2pdf gives some LaTeX errors about gif images
> > not being supported.  I switched to jpeg images, but the resulting
> > Postscript and PDF files look absolutely horrible (in one case, each pixel
> > of the image was rendered as a 50 pixel block, which is obviously
> > unacceptable).
> >
> > So, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get gif's or jpeg's
> > working?  If not, is there another image format that I should consider?
> > The only thing I would require from another format would be that it must
> > work with web browsers as well (so no eps files).
>
> To my knowledge db2ps is the show-stopper - I only eats
> .eps-files.

UPS; to get you there you also need to include images
like this:

<figure id="ma7lang-fig" float="1">
<title>YOUR FIGURE TITLE</title>
<graphic fileref="YOUR_FILENAME.&magic;" SCALE="60"></graphic>
</figure>

SCALE can be dropped - but nice in ps/pdf-output.

--

@ 2001-01-31  3:10   ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2001-01-31  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Samedi 20 Janvier 2001 16:17, Stephen Wilhelm a écrit :
> Hello everyone.  I have a DocBook document that has some images in it.  I
> use the Cygnus tools to publish the SGML sources.  Now, db2html does a
> great job, but db2ps and db2pdf gives some LaTeX errors about gif images
> not being supported.  I switched to jpeg images, but the resulting
> Postscript and PDF files look absolutely horrible (in one case, each pixel
> of the image was rendered as a 50 pixel block, which is obviously
> unacceptable).
>
> So, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get gif's or jpeg's
> working?  If not, is there another image format that I should consider?
> The only thing I would require from another format would be that it must
> work with web browsers as well (so no eps files).
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes.

In DocBook 4.0, <mediaobject> has been introduced to allow you have the same
picture (or anything else) in several formats at the same time.

So the kind of tricks as proposed by Peter are only necessary for DocBook up
to version 3.1 (I also proposed similar things at that time on this list).

The complete syntax for <mediaobject> is explained on
http://www.caldera.de/~eric/crash-course/HTML .

* Re: Graphics image question
@ 2001-01-31 21:25     ` Stephen Wilhelm
From: Stephen Wilhelm @ 2001-01-31 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Eric Bischoff wrote:
> Le Samedi 20 Janvier 2001 16:17, Stephen Wilhelm a écrit :

[snip]
> > So, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get gif's or jpeg's
> > working?  If not, is there another image format that I should consider?
> > The only thing I would require from another format would be that it must
> > work with web browsers as well (so no eps files).
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> In DocBook 4.0, <mediaobject> has been introduced to allow you have the same
> picture (or anything else) in several formats at the same time.

This works great!  I just have to change my makefile to convert my png's
to my preferred image format.  Thanks a lot.

BTW, it appears that <mediaobject> exists in 3.1, since its documented in
my DocBook book (which only covers 3.1, though it mentions likely changes
in future versions).

--

@ 2001-02-05  8:17   ` Ricardo
From: Ricardo @ 2001-02-05  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do you like that line, above the header of the page?

I like ;)

So, to do this, put this line in your jadetex.cfg file

\def\headrulewidth{0.5\p@}%

And you will have that line.

To do this in the dsl style, it's also possible, but the space between
the "Chapter 1. Blablabla" and the line, will be too big (0.5cm)

So, do it in the style it's better.

To create the same line, before the page number, do:

\def\footrulewidth{0.5\p@}%

hugs
--
Ricardo Soares Guimarães (GNOME - Brazil / KDE Brazil)
LDP-BR - LIE-BR

	As esplendidas fortunas - como os ventos impetuosos -
	provocam grandes naufragios.
		-- Plutarco

* Re: Graphics image question
@ 2001-02-05 11:19     ` Ricardo
From: Ricardo @ 2001-02-05 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

\renewcommand\SpSOtherBackLeftHeader[1]
{\ifx\\#1\\
    \let\headrulewidth\Xplainheadrulewidth
 \else
    \let\headrulewidth\Xheadrulewidth
 \fi
 \Sethead[LE]{#1}{OtherBackLeftHeader}
}

With this, (workaround) the line will not appears until the chapters
begin.

So, in the cover page, and in the other thinks, like TOC, this line will
not appears.

Some sugestion about this jadetex.cfg file?

hugs

--

@ 2001-12-19 22:49   ` Stephen Wilhelm
From: Stephen Wilhelm @ 2001-12-19 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Eric Bischoff wrote:
> Le Samedi 20 Janvier 2001 16:17, Stephen Wilhelm a écrit :

[snip]
> > So, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get gif's or jpeg's
> > working?  If not, is there another image format that I should consider?
> > The only thing I would require from another format would be that it must
> > work with web browsers as well (so no eps files).
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> In DocBook 4.0, <mediaobject> has been introduced to allow you have the same
> picture (or anything else) in several formats at the same time.

This works great!  I just have to change my makefile to convert my png's
to my preferred image format.  Thanks a lot.

BTW, it appears that <mediaobject> exists in 3.1, since its documented in
my DocBook book (which only covers 3.1, though it mentions likely changes
in future versions).

--
Stephen Wilhelm
    See my Gtk-Perl Tutorial:
    http://personal.riverusers.com/~swilhelm/gtkperl-tutorial/

* Re: Graphics image question
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-12-19 22:49 ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2001-12-19 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-12-19 22:49 ` Ricardo
From: Ricardo @ 2001-12-19 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-12-19 22:49 ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2001-12-19 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Stephen Wilhelm wrote:

> Hello everyone.  I have a DocBook document that has some images in it.  I
> use the Cygnus tools to publish the SGML sources.  Now, db2html does a
> great job, but db2ps and db2pdf gives some LaTeX errors about gif images
> not being supported.  I switched to jpeg images, but the resulting
> Postscript and PDF files look absolutely horrible (in one case, each pixel
> of the image was rendered as a 50 pixel block, which is obviously
> unacceptable).
>
> So, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get gif's or jpeg's
> working?  If not, is there another image format that I should consider?
> The only thing I would require from another format would be that it must
> work with web browsers as well (so no eps files).

To my knowledge db2ps is the show-stopper - I only eats
.eps-files.

Try the following - Note line no 2. with magic

<!doctype book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
<!ENTITY % magic-entities SYSTEM "magic.sgml">
  %magic-entities;  <!-- This is where we include it -->
<!entity frihedendato SYSTEM "dato.sgml">
<!entity frihedenversion SYSTEM "version.sgml">
<!entity frihedenappendixRevHist SYSTEM "apprevhist.sgml">
]>

I include three files here....

I have a makefile, where I do
        echo '<!ENTITY magic "png">' > magic.sgml
if I output pdf or html

If I do ps-output, then I have
        echo '<!ENTITY magic "eps">' > magic.sgml

Then I use ImageMagick to convert all my png-files to
eps if ps-output

find images/*.png | sed 's/.png//' | sed 's=images/==' | \
xargs -i% /usr/X11R6/bin/convert -antialias images/%.png eps2:bogps/%.eps

Well - It is not that straight-forward, but once you
have the setup of the first makefile, then I works.
You can see a Makefile in
http://cvs.sslug.dk/linuxbog/web/Makefile

Best

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

"You don't win a battle by asking, `Will we win?'
You win it by doing your best to win" - Richard M Stallman

LinuxKonference i København: http://LinuxForum.dk/

* Graphics image question
@ 2001-12-19 22:49 Stephen Wilhelm
                   ` (3 more replies)