public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* How to generate index?
@ 2008-09-23  7:20 Yang SongXiang
From: Yang SongXiang @ 2008-09-23  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

Hi, All,

When I use docbook2pdf, I found it can process Index successfully.
My sample file is:
<title>Title</title>
<para>sampel file</para>

When I use docbook2pdf, the pdf didn't record the "Keyword" in Index.
When I use FOP, it can successfully index the "keyword".

Could anyone know how to generate index-ed item for docbook2pdf?

Thanks.

* Re: How to generate index?
@ 2008-09-23  9:02 ` Éric Bischoff
       [not found]   ` <ccffc1000809231845y1e18a7c7u4f7e1e0a92abedc6@mail.gmail.com>
From: Éric Bischoff @ 2008-09-23  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss; +Cc: Yang SongXiang

Le Tuesday 23 September 2008 09:19:51 Yang SongXiang, vous avez écrit :
> Hi, All,
>
> When I use docbook2pdf, I found it can process Index successfully.
> My sample file is:
> <title>Title</title>
> <para>sampel file</para>
>

> When I use docbook2pdf, the pdf didn't record the "Keyword" in Index.
> When I use FOP, it can successfully index the "keyword".
>
> Could anyone know how to generate index-ed item for docbook2pdf?

Check the version of the style sheets it uses.

Also, I have too little time to continue maintaining the docbook tools. Any
volunteer to take the project ?

--
Éric Biscchoff - ^H^H zut ! ^H^H ^Q ^[ .. :w :q :wq :wq!
^d X^? exit X Q ^C ^c ^? :quitbye CtrlAltDel ~~q :~q logout

* Re: How to generate index?
       [not found]     ` <200809241442.47715.ebischoff@nerim.net>
@ 2008-10-17  5:50       ` Yang SongXiang
From: Yang SongXiang @ 2008-10-17  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss; +Cc: Éric Bischoff

All,

With days try, I'd figure out how to generate the index page for DSL,
by using docbook2pdf. Though Norman Walsh had wrote a
document(http://www.fifi.org/doc/docbook-dsssl-doc/indexing.html) for
this topic, but it's too old(it's1998 year) for newcomer try on
current Linux system, and furthermore, he only covered sgm, no XML
covered, which is widely used by today's docbook..

I summarized the steps here:

1) Create a blank xml file(named as myidx.xml) here by typing $touch myidx.xml
2) Make the myidx.xml as entity of your docbook XML file:
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
<!ENTITY myidx SYSTEM "myidx.xml">
]>

<--- add this at the end -->
&myidx;

3) Generate the HTML.index by typing $docbook2html -o tmp -V
html-index your_src.xml

4) Get the generated HTML.index by typing $cp tmp/HTML.index .

5) ./collateindex.pl -o myidx HTML.index

6) Now, you type $docbook2pdf your_src.xml
to generate the index page.

Thanks for Bischoff 's help and answering my question here.

Best Regards
-Scord