[ was: Re: [committed] Make main more readable ] On 3/18/21 7:52 PM, Florian Weimer wrote: > * Tom de Vries: > >> I've prepared a patch implementing that suggestion. Does that address >> your concerns? >> >> [ FWIW, I've read through a C99 draft pdf to refresh my memory on this >> topic. Looking at the effective type of **argv, AFAIU it falls into the >> catagory "For all other accesses to an object having no declared type, >> the effective type of the object is simply the type of the lvalue used >> for the access". In other words, the effective type is char. >> >> Then I read: >> ... >> An object shall have its stored value accessed only by an lvalue >> expression that has one of the following types: >> — a qualified version of a type compatible with the effective type of >> the object, >> ... >> >> So, const char is a qualified version of a type char compatible with the >> effective type of the object (char). >> >> So I still don't see the problem. ] > > I think the issue is about the char * array elements, not the individual > bytes in the strings themselves. I see, that explains, I somehow managed to miss that. I've updated the log message, and committed. Thanks, - Tom