public inbox for dwz@sourceware.org
From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
To: tdevries <tdevries@suse.de>
Cc: dwz@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: dwz 0.14 release?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 12:17:10 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Tom,

On Mon, 2021-03-01 at 11:49 +0100, tdevries wrote:
> On 2021-02-27 00:37, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > I propose we do a release on Monday March 1. Unless people think
> > there
> > are still some release critical issues that need to be resolved first.
>
> I'd like to postpone by a week.  I've cleaned up odr state, and now I'd
> like to spent some time on other issues.  In particular, I'd like to fix
> the temp file thingy.

OK, but could we then pick that as a concrete goal and date for the
release please? There have been requests for a 0.14 release since
January. I did try to make sure we had up to date lists of pending bugs
and I believe there are no regressions anymore. That doesn't mean we
cannot designate some existing bugs as release critical. The temp file
thingy (PR24275) does indeed seem nasty and it would be great to get it
fixed.

So shall we say that when PR24275 is fixed and no new release critical
issues (regressions) are found by Monday March 8, then we'll do a 0.14
release?

I am a little afraid we will simply never do a release because there is
always one more thing to hack on. And the last release was in August
2019. There have been lots of bugs fixed since then and some nice new
features added.

It would be good if we did regular (say every 3 or 6 months) releases.
Just to make sure people can upgrade and get the new bug fixes and
features more regularly without having to pick arbitrary git checkouts.

Thanks,

Mark