public inbox for eclipse@sourceware.org
* SRPM tries to build the RPM?
@ 2003-08-04 19:17 Austin Gonyou
From: Austin Gonyou @ 2003-08-04 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eclipse

I tried to do an import of a SRC rpm and eclipse was actually building
the RPM. Is that proper? It failed because of the syntax of my .spec
file, but I wanted to import the src.rpm so I could manage all my
src.rpms and specs under the same IDE as my perl, shell, and java code.

--
Austin Gonyou <austin@coremetrics.com>
Coremetrics, Inc.

* Re: SRPM tries to build the RPM?
@ 2003-08-04 19:23 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2003-08-04 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Gonyou; +Cc: eclipse

Austin> I tried to do an import of a SRC rpm and eclipse was actually
Austin> building the RPM. Is that proper? It failed because of the
Austin> syntax of my .spec file, but I wanted to import the src.rpm so
Austin> I could manage all my src.rpms and specs under the same IDE as
Austin> my perl, shell, and java code.

I talked to Phil about this just the other day.  And, btw, I don't
think either of us thought of this particular failure mode.

It turns out that we need to unpack the SRPM during the import
process, to give you the ability to select what files are actually
imported.

We've talked about a few different ways to change SRPM importing to
make this step unnecessary.  One idea is to just always import
everything.  Another idea is to migrate the RPM plugin toward making
it easier to do more RPM-editing steps, so for instance instead of
choosing what files to import, you would choose what patches to apply.

No real decision has been made yet.  The RPM plugin is still in its
early days.  Input is definitely welcome.

Tom

* Re: SRPM tries to build the RPM?
@ 2003-08-04 19:23 ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2003-08-04 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Gonyou; +Cc: eclipse

Austin,

It has to install the SRPM in a temporary environment to apply patches,
and so on so that it can give an accurate representation of the files in
the SRPM carries. Is this what you mean?

It also invokes make on the code when you have selected the files and
begin the import. This is is because Eclipse sees that is has a C nature
and tries too build it. If you would like to post the logfile it
produces (it would give you the name in the error dialog) we can take a
look and see what is happening.

regards

phil
On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 14:04, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> I tried to do an import of a SRC rpm and eclipse was actually building
> the RPM. Is that proper? It failed because of the syntax of my .spec
> file, but I wanted to import the src.rpm so I could manage all my
> src.rpms and specs under the same IDE as my perl, shell, and java code.
--
Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon@redhat.com>
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: SRPM tries to build the RPM?
@ 2003-08-04 19:41   ` Austin Gonyou
From: Austin Gonyou @ 2003-08-04 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pmuldoon; +Cc: eclipse

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 14:23, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> Austin,
>
> It has to install the SRPM in a temporary environment to apply patches,
> and so on so that it can give an accurate representation of the files in
> the SRPM carries. Is this what you mean?

It does all that, but it actually goes beyond that and did a full build
of all the parts of my RPM. I'm sure it's just an RPM syntax problem,
i.e. it's installing stuff in /usr/local/bin(vs
%RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/local/bin). Some things I inherited and haven't
fully sorted through yet.

It would be nice if it had spec file syntax highlighting though, which
is kind of what I expected, or it just allowed one to build RPMs, after
modifying the specs, etc. I guess I was expecting it to unpack the
src.rpm and then just import all the files into the workspace, vs trying
to build anything at all. (i.e. I don't want patched versions, I want
the proper versions as they look from the SRC as I were to do rpm -ivh
some.src.rpm) so that actual modification makes more sense, regarding
the sources.

> It also invokes make on the code when you have selected the files and
> begin the import. This is is because Eclipse sees that is has a C nature
> and tries too build it. If you would like to post the logfile it
> produces (it would give you the name in the error dialog) we can take a
> look and see what is happening.

Yeah, I was wondering why RPMBUILD was being called. I was only
expecting what I noted above.

--

@ 2003-08-04 19:43   ` Austin Gonyou
From: Austin Gonyou @ 2003-08-04 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: eclipse

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 14:16, Tom Tromey wrote:

> No real decision has been made yet.  The RPM plugin is still in its
> early days.  Input is definitely welcome.

Gotcha. This makes sense now. Guess I was expecting it to be like GVIM.
;)

--

@ 2003-08-04 20:06     ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2003-08-04 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Gonyou; +Cc: eclipse

> It does all that, but it actually goes beyond that and did a full >
build
> of all the parts of my RPM. I'm sure it's just an RPM syntax problem,
> i.e. it's installing stuff in /usr/local/bin(vs
> %RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/local/bin). Some things I inherited and haven't
> fully sorted through yet.

I'm going to need a little more context. Bear with me :) It should be
installing in /var/tmp/{uname}/ which is our buildroot with the name rpm
name.temp.

> or it just allowed one to build RPMs, after
> modifying the specs, etc.

You should be able to both build RPMS and SRPMs with the export
functions. There should be two entries in the export section, Binary RPM
and Source RPM.

> I guess I was expecting it to unpack the
> src.rpm and then just import all the files into the workspace, vs trying
> to build anything at all. (i.e. I don't want patched versions, \

Yes, the srpm import was more designed to be cookie cutter. But this
kind of input is very valuable. We could add two different check-boxes
to the gui that allow something like, don't apply patches and don't
build that would just preserve the raw sources; which should not be very
hard at all, as they just provide two simpler use cases. Tom and I
chatted about this very recently, such as applying patches conditionally
through user input; resolving patch collisions and so on. The only
problem would the applicability of other rpm functions from within
Eclipse. Right now, if you import an SRPM, we allow you to re-export it
as a Binary RPM and Source RPM using the same spec file you imported
with. We would have to limit these functions if we allow the user to
control the scope of the spec file that is to applied.

Thanks for your suggestions and your input, they are very valuable. I'll
discuss them with the other plug-in developer here, and see what comes
about. I'll keep you informed.

regards

phil