public inbox for eclipse@sourceware.org
From: Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com>
To: Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon@redhat.com>
Cc: Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com>, eclipse@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: unclear how to get eclipse working on rhel3es for java devel...
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:12:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Phil Muldoon writes:
> I replicated what you did.  Did you do this?
>
> Windows->Preferences->Java
>
> Click on Installed JREs
>
> If there is not a JRE there called "Standard VM", click Add
>
> then inside the following fields:
>
> JRE Name type "Standard VM" without the quotes
>
> in JRE Home Directory, click the browse button and navigate to the home
> of the JRE. For example. with the SUN JRE it would be something like:
>
> /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04
>
> or whatever path to the JRE choice you have installed.
>
> Click OK on the browse window, and it should populate JRE libraries box
>
> When you click OK to close the Installed JREs window, and click OK again
> to close the preferences window. After that it (Eclipse) should want to
> rebuild your project, and it should take care of the classpath issues
>
> Did this help at all?

Actually, it did.  I downloaded and installed Sun's latest JDK and it
worked as expected.  But it just won't work with IBM's JDK on the
Extras disc as Red Hat's Eclipse Release Notes indicates it should.
Has this been bugzilla bug #114354 biting me in the butt the whole
time?

If so, then until such time as IBM fixes their JVM to work with Red
Hat's Enterprise product AND Red Hat pushes out an Extras errata, I
*STRONGLY* recommend that you change the release notes to remove IBM's
1.4.1 JRE from the list of compatible JREs!  It's wasted a *LOT* of my
time incorrectly figuring that I was doing something wrong or missing
some critical step along the way!