public inbox for eclipse@sourceware.org
* unclear how to get eclipse working on rhel3es for java devel...
@ 2004-03-30 20:00 Ronald Cole
From: Ronald Cole @ 2004-03-30 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eclipse

I've spent the last few months looking through the supplied user
documentation and used "The Java Developer's Guide to Eclipse" book,
and recently upgraded to your 2.1.1-4 release.

I am unable to get a simple Hello World java problem to compile and
run.

Following the instructions in Chapter 29, Exercise 2, Section 1, here
is what I did after an absolutely clean re-install:

 1. Window > Open Perspective > Java
 2. [New Java Product] toolbar button
 3. Entered the Project Name: com.ibm.lab.usingjdt.helloworld
 4. [Finish] button
 5. [New Java Class] toolbar button > Class
 6. Entered the Class Name: HelloWorld
 7. Selected the main method stub creation.
 8. Unselected the inherited abstract methods creation
 9. [Finish] button

I immediately get two task errors:

* The project was not built due to classpath errors (incomplete or
  involved in cycle).
* Unbound classpath container: 'Default System Library'.

10. Expand HelloWorld.java in the Package Explorer view.
11. Select the class HelloWorld
12. Run > Run As > Java Application

I am then greeted with the error:

  Exception occurred during launch
  Reason:
    The specified JRE installation does not exist.

Ok, so then I install both the IBMJava2 rpms from the "Extras" disc
and follow the instructions from the "Java Development User Guide,
Basic tutorial, Preparing the workbench" to step six to the letter!

I am able to detect /opt/IBMJava2-141/jre as the Installed JRE.

However, I now have a two new task errors:

* The project was not built since its classpath is incomplete.  Cannot
  find the class file for java.lang.Object.  Fix the classpath and
  then try rebuilding this project.
* This compilation unit indirectly references the missing type
  java.lang.Object (typically some required class file is referencing
  a type outside the classpath)

So, now that I've tried reading the release notes and following the
instructions in the documentation, I am still unable to use Eclipse to
compile and run a simple HelloWorld java program.

What am I missing or not doing?