public inbox for eclipse@sourceware.org
* unclear how to get eclipse working on rhel3es for java devel...
@ 2004-03-30 20:00 Ronald Cole
From: Ronald Cole @ 2004-03-30 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eclipse

I've spent the last few months looking through the supplied user
documentation and used "The Java Developer's Guide to Eclipse" book,
and recently upgraded to your 2.1.1-4 release.

I am unable to get a simple Hello World java problem to compile and
run.

Following the instructions in Chapter 29, Exercise 2, Section 1, here
is what I did after an absolutely clean re-install:

 1. Window > Open Perspective > Java
 2. [New Java Product] toolbar button
 3. Entered the Project Name: com.ibm.lab.usingjdt.helloworld
 4. [Finish] button
 5. [New Java Class] toolbar button > Class
 6. Entered the Class Name: HelloWorld
 7. Selected the main method stub creation.
 8. Unselected the inherited abstract methods creation
 9. [Finish] button

I immediately get two task errors:

* The project was not built due to classpath errors (incomplete or
  involved in cycle).
* Unbound classpath container: 'Default System Library'.

10. Expand HelloWorld.java in the Package Explorer view.
11. Select the class HelloWorld
12. Run > Run As > Java Application

I am then greeted with the error:

  Exception occurred during launch
  Reason:
    The specified JRE installation does not exist.

Ok, so then I install both the IBMJava2 rpms from the "Extras" disc
and follow the instructions from the "Java Development User Guide,
Basic tutorial, Preparing the workbench" to step six to the letter!

I am able to detect /opt/IBMJava2-141/jre as the Installed JRE.

However, I now have a two new task errors:

* The project was not built since its classpath is incomplete.  Cannot
  find the class file for java.lang.Object.  Fix the classpath and
  then try rebuilding this project.
* This compilation unit indirectly references the missing type
  java.lang.Object (typically some required class file is referencing
  a type outside the classpath)

So, now that I've tried reading the release notes and following the
instructions in the documentation, I am still unable to use Eclipse to
compile and run a simple HelloWorld java program.

What am I missing or not doing?

* Re: unclear how to get eclipse working on rhel3es for java devel...
@ 2004-03-30 20:25 ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2004-03-30 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Cole; +Cc: eclipse

I replicated what you did.  Did you do this?

Windows->Preferences->Java

Click on Installed JREs

If there is not a JRE there called "Standard VM", click Add

then inside the following fields:

JRE Name type "Standard VM" without the quotes

in JRE Home Directory, click the browse button and navigate to the home
of the JRE. For example. with the SUN JRE it would be something like:

/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04

or whatever path to the JRE choice you have installed.

Click OK on the browse window, and it should populate JRE libraries box

When you click OK to close the Installed JREs window, and click OK again
to close the preferences window. After that it (Eclipse) should want to
rebuild your project, and it should take care of the classpath issues

Did this help at all?

regards

phil

@ 2004-03-30 21:12   ` Ronald Cole
From: Ronald Cole @ 2004-03-30 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Muldoon; +Cc: Ronald Cole, eclipse

Phil Muldoon writes:
> I replicated what you did.  Did you do this?
>
> Windows->Preferences->Java
>
> Click on Installed JREs
>
> If there is not a JRE there called "Standard VM", click Add
>
> then inside the following fields:
>
> JRE Name type "Standard VM" without the quotes
>
> in JRE Home Directory, click the browse button and navigate to the home
> of the JRE. For example. with the SUN JRE it would be something like:
>
> /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04
>
> or whatever path to the JRE choice you have installed.
>
> Click OK on the browse window, and it should populate JRE libraries box
>
> When you click OK to close the Installed JREs window, and click OK again
> to close the preferences window. After that it (Eclipse) should want to
> rebuild your project, and it should take care of the classpath issues
>
> Did this help at all?

Actually, it did.  I downloaded and installed Sun's latest JDK and it
worked as expected.  But it just won't work with IBM's JDK on the
Extras disc as Red Hat's Eclipse Release Notes indicates it should.
Has this been bugzilla bug #114354 biting me in the butt the whole
time?

If so, then until such time as IBM fixes their JVM to work with Red
Hat's Enterprise product AND Red Hat pushes out an Extras errata, I
*STRONGLY* recommend that you change the release notes to remove IBM's
1.4.1 JRE from the list of compatible JREs!  It's wasted a *LOT* of my
time incorrectly figuring that I was doing something wrong or missing
some critical step along the way!

* Re: unclear how to get eclipse working on rhel3es for java devel...
@ 2004-03-30 22:07     ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2004-03-30 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Cole; +Cc: eclipse

Mr Cole,

I just reread your original email, and it looks as though you are using
2.1.1-4 version of Eclipse with the Red Hat Enterprise Product. This
list is for the community released version at sources.redhat.com/eclipse.

As far as the release notes - that might be a PR; please file a PR in
bugzilla at http://bugzilla.redhat.com. From there we  can track it, and
resolves those issues with the Release Notes.

Best Regards

Phil Muldoon

@ 2004-03-30 23:16       ` Ronald Cole
From: Ronald Cole @ 2004-03-30 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Muldoon; +Cc: Ronald Cole, eclipse

Phil Muldoon writes:
> Mr Cole,
>
> I just reread your original email, and it looks as though you are using
> 2.1.1-4 version of Eclipse with the Red Hat Enterprise Product. This
> list is for the community released version at sources.redhat.com/eclipse.
>
> As far as the release notes - that might be a PR; please file a PR in
> bugzilla at http://bugzilla.redhat.com. From there we  can track it, and
> resolves those issues with the Release Notes.

Bugzilla bug #119504.  Thanks!