public inbox for eclipse@sourceware.org
* cannot build from srpm.
@ 2003-08-12 14:53 Marcos Dione
From: Marcos Dione @ 2003-08-12 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eclipse

    I know this is a redhat mailing list, but I think that if this can
be built in redhat, it must be buildable on any distro. so...

    I'm using eclipse under debian. once I heard that it was compiled
under linux w/ gcj, I wanted to do the same. so I downloaded the srpm,
used alien to convert it to a .tgz which contained the .spect and the
tar.gz w/ the sources. I uncompressed the sources and poked into the
.spec searching for the %build section. I found it, copied it to a
script file, set up the variables correctly and run it. the compilation
stops in the link step:

mdione@sexy:~/src/e$ ./b.sh
gcj-3.3 -shared --encoding=ISO-8859-1 -fPIC  --classpath=.:compiler:batch --extdirs=/usr/share/java -o lib-org-eclipse-jdt-core.so obj/antadapter/org/eclipse/jdt/core/EcjJDTCompilerAdapter.o ... obj/compiler/org/eclipse/jdt/internal/compiler/parser/parser5.o -l-org-apache-tools-1.5.2
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l-org-apache-tools-1.5.2
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [lib-org-eclipse-jdt-core.so] Error 1

the script I use (that b.sh) is:

export java_home=/usr/lib/j2se/1.4;
export java_jre=/usr;
export java_runtime=${java_jre}/share/java/libgcj-3.3.1.jar;
export java_bin=/usr/bin;
#
# Define as true to compile to native.
export gcj_build=true;
# Define as true to build .class files with ecj.
export ecj_build=true;

export JAVA_HOME=${java_home};
export PATH=${java_bin}:/usr/bin:$PATH;

target=buildAll;
build_options="-os linux -ws gtk -bc ${java_runtime}";

if ${gcj_build}; then
  export JAVACMD=${java_bin}/gij-3.3;
  export GCJ=gcj-3.3;
  export CC=gcc-3.3;
  target=gcjBuild;
fi;

if ${ecj_build}; then
  build_options="$build_options -ecj";
fi;

./build -target $target $build_options;

    as you can see, is a bash version of the %build section of the .spec
file. I don't see any org.apache.tools dir nor a way to compile that
lib. what's wrong? or is it that the build is too much coupled to the
redhat distro?

* Re: cannot build from srpm.
@ 2003-08-12 16:06 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2003-08-12 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcos Dione; +Cc: eclipse

Marcos> I'm using eclipse under debian. once I heard that it was
Marcos> compiled under linux w/ gcj, I wanted to do the same. so I
Marcos> downloaded the srpm, used alien to convert it to a .tgz which
Marcos> contained the .spect and the tar.gz w/ the sources.

You also need to install all the RPMs we depend on.  At build time
this is the gcc-ssa stuff, plus the gcj-compiled ant and its
dependencies.

Marcos> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l-org-apache-tools-1.5.2

This comes from the ant RPM.

Tom

* Re: cannot build from srpm.
@ 2003-08-12 16:31   ` Marcos Dione
From: Marcos Dione @ 2003-08-12 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: eclipse

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:58:06AM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> You also need to install all the RPMs we depend on.  At build time
> this is the gcc-ssa stuff, plus the gcj-compiled ant and its
> dependencies.

    what does this '-ssa' mean?

> Marcos> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l-org-apache-tools-1.5.2
>
> This comes from the ant RPM.

    so I might need to compile a lot more of things than I thought. ok,
no problem. thanks for the hints.

* Re: cannot build from srpm.
@ 2003-08-12 16:34     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2003-08-12 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcos Dione; +Cc: eclipse

Marcos>     what does this '-ssa' mean?

"SSA" means "static single assignment".  It is a kind of compiler
technology.

The RPM is named this because it comes from the tree-ssa branch of
gcc.

What's important isn't the ssa-ness of the compiler, but rather that
the patches we added to gcj for eclipse are only available in this
RPM.

Marcos> so I might need to compile a lot more of things than I
Marcos> thought. ok, no problem. thanks for the hints.

You're welcome.

I believe all the required ant patches are in rhug.
http://sources.redhat.com/rhug/

Tom

* Re: cannot build from srpm.
@ 2003-08-12 17:08       ` Marcos Dione
From: Marcos Dione @ 2003-08-12 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: eclipse

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:26:45AM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> What's important isn't the ssa-ness of the compiler, but rather that
> the patches we added to gcj for eclipse are only available in this
> RPM.
>
> I believe all the required ant patches are in rhug.
> http://sources.redhat.com/rhug/

    'ant' patches? isn't gcj the patched one? or are both? I downloaded
the srpm's (for ant and gcc-ssa) and I don't see anything big done to
ant, but I see several patches (which I don't understand as I'm not
familiar to gcj). hmmm, may be it's too big the changes to port it to
debian :(

* Re: cannot build from srpm.
@ 2003-08-12 18:09         ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2003-08-12 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcos Dione; +Cc: eclipse

Marcos>     'ant' patches? isn't gcj the patched one? or are both? I downloaded
Marcos> the srpm's (for ant and gcc-ssa) and I don't see anything big done to
Marcos> ant, but I see several patches (which I don't understand as I'm not
Marcos> familiar to gcj). hmmm, may be it's too big the changes to port it to
Marcos> debian :(

gcj isn't perfect; there are bugs in the front end and missing
packages and classes.  So sometimes we have to patch programs like ant
to work around this.

So, there are patches in ant to make it work, but also patches in gcj
to make it possible to compile eclipse with it.

Tom

* Re: cannot build from srpm.
@ 2003-08-12 21:27         ` Jan Schulz
From: Jan Schulz @ 2003-08-12 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eclipse

Hello Marcos,

Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 4:13:56 PM, you wrote:
> familiar to gcj). hmmm, may be it's too big the changes to port it to
> debian :(

I will try to build the eclipse debs with gcj, once all patches are
available and I have a weekend to play around :)

Jan