public inbox for eclipse@sourceware.org
* Fedora 2 & Eclipse
@ 2004-05-10 20:03 Ricardo Gorosito
From: Ricardo Gorosito @ 2004-05-10 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eclipse

Any news/progress about RH's Eclipse & Fedora 2? AFAIK oprifile is the
'stopper'.

Thanks, Ricardo.-

* Re: Fedora 2 & Eclipse
@ 2004-05-10 20:50 ` Paul Nasrat
From: Paul Nasrat @ 2004-05-10 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eclipse

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 05:02:32PM -0300, Ricardo Gorosito wrote:
> Any news/progress about RH's Eclipse & Fedora 2? AFAIK oprifile is the
> 'stopper'.

The oprofile plugin is not really a stopper it is possible to build without as
it's an additional plugin.

I had Eclipse building with gcc-ssa and gcc34 mostly - ISTR the RHEL binaries
were working for someone out of the box.  The issues I hit are in the archives
- solib/gcjlib, various link problems, etc.

I'll have another play this week sometime.

Paul

* Re: Fedora 2 & Eclipse
@ 2004-05-10 22:23   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2004-05-10 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eclipse

Paul> I had Eclipse building with gcc-ssa and gcc34 mostly - ISTR the
Paul> RHEL binaries were working for someone out of the box.  The
Paul> issues I hit are in the archives - solib/gcjlib, various link
Paul> problems, etc.

I got it building by basically s/solib/gcjlib/ in the eclipse patches.
You need a small patch to SWT to make it build with the newer Gtk.
Once this stuff is done, it seems to crash if you do anything real
with it; Anthony Green claimed better success but I'm not sure under
what conditions.

Tom

* Re: Fedora 2 & Eclipse
@ 2004-05-10 23:16     ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2004-05-10 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: eclipse

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 15:12, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I got it building by basically s/solib/gcjlib/ in the eclipse patches.
> You need a small patch to SWT to make it build with the newer Gtk.
> Once this stuff is done, it seems to crash if you do anything real
> with it; Anthony Green claimed better success but I'm not sure under
> what conditions.

I was just running Eclipse 2 on RHEL with GCC 3.4's gij.

The only trick I had to do was to set the GCJ_PROPERTIES environment to
"gnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.library_control=never".  This prevents
gij from loading .so files that were built with previous versions of
gcj.  The binary compatibility ABI should fix this in the future.

Unfortunately, Eclipse would crash eventually.  I think everybody is
seeing the same crash.  mjw's mew line-number-in-interpreted-stack-trace
patch should help us debug this.

AG

--
Anthony Green <green@redhat.com>
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Fedora 2 & Eclipse
@ 2004-12-22 18:46       ` Marc Boorshtein
From: Marc Boorshtein @ 2004-12-22 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eclipse; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Anthony Green

Hello,

I haven't received much traffic on this list, but I was wondering if it
was still active?  I am trying to compile an SWT application to run on
linux using gcj.  The application runs on SWT 3.0.1.  Here is the
command line I am using:

gcj   -O2 -fjni
--main=com.octetstring.jdbc.ldap.browser.JdbcLdapBrowserApp
dist/osgi.jar dist/swt-pi-linux.jar dist/swt-mozilla.jar
dist/swt-linux.jar   dist/runtime.jar  dist/boot.jar dist/jface.jar
dist/ldap.jar  dist/runtime.jar  dist/ldap.jar dist/jdbcLdap.jar
dist/jdbcLdapBrowser.jar -o ldapBrowser

After playing around with the ordering, I figured it was best to put
osgi first,  but when I try this I get the error:

org/osgi/service/url/AbstractURLStreamHandlerService.java: In class
`org.osgi.service.url.AbstractURLStreamHandlerService':
org/osgi/service/url/AbstractURLStreamHandlerService.java: In method
`org.osgi.service.url.AbstractURLStreamHandlerService.equals(java.net.UR
L,java.net.URL)':
org/osgi/service/url/AbstractURLStreamHandlerService.java:83: class
'java.net.URLStreamHandler' has no method named 'equals' matching
signature '(Ljava/net/URL;Ljava/net/URL;)Z'
org/osgi/service/url/AbstractURLStreamHandlerService.java:93: confused
by earlier errors, bailing out

Is there something else I need to do?  I tried including rt.jar in the
classpath, but gcj didn't like that very much.  I know you gotten
eclipse 2.1 working with gcj, I was wondering if there had been any
luck with 3.0 and the 3.0  libraries.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

--------------------------
Marc Boorshtein
Sr. Software Engineer, Octet String
marc.boorshtein@octetstring.com
On May 10, 2004, at 6:16 PM, Anthony Green wrote:

* Re: Fedora 2 & Eclipse
@ 2004-05-10 22:31 Paul Nasrat
From: Paul Nasrat @ 2004-05-10 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: eclipse

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 04:12:47PM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Paul> I had Eclipse building with gcc-ssa and gcc34 mostly - ISTR the
> Paul> RHEL binaries were working for someone out of the box.  The
> Paul> issues I hit are in the archives - solib/gcjlib, various link
> Paul> problems, etc.
>
> I got it building by basically s/solib/gcjlib/ in the eclipse patches.

Yup - I've posted my patch to list before and you cast an eye on it and it
seemed sane.

> You need a small patch to SWT to make it build with the newer Gtk.

Hmm, pretty sure got that far too.

> Once this stuff is done, it seems to crash if you do anything real
> with it; Anthony Green claimed better success but I'm not sure under
> what conditions.

IIRC I got splash and stuff working correctly then barfing on various runtime
linking issues.  This could be me, and I'm not overly familiar with how
gcj/eclipse deals with hybrid .so/java stuff.

It strikes me that it should be at least something that should go into Fedora
Extras for FC2 eventually.  I'll rebuild and log and try and poke people here -
I've had a lot of out of channel intrest from people via jpackage and other
forums for native eclipse so I would personally like to see it in fedora once
all the pain is gone.

Paul