public inbox for eclipse@sourceware.org
From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: Austin Gonyou <austin@coremetrics.com>
Cc: eclipse@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: SRPM tries to build the RPM?
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 19:23:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>>>>> "Austin" == Austin Gonyou <austin@coremetrics.com> writes:

Austin> I tried to do an import of a SRC rpm and eclipse was actually
Austin> building the RPM. Is that proper? It failed because of the
Austin> syntax of my .spec file, but I wanted to import the src.rpm so
Austin> I could manage all my src.rpms and specs under the same IDE as
Austin> my perl, shell, and java code.

I talked to Phil about this just the other day.  And, btw, I don't
think either of us thought of this particular failure mode.

It turns out that we need to unpack the SRPM during the import
process, to give you the ability to select what files are actually
imported.

We've talked about a few different ways to change SRPM importing to
make this step unnecessary.  One idea is to just always import
everything.  Another idea is to migrate the RPM plugin toward making
it easier to do more RPM-editing steps, so for instance instead of
choosing what files to import, you would choose what patches to apply.

No real decision has been made yet.  The RPM plugin is still in its
early days.  Input is definitely welcome.

Tom