public inbox for eclipse@sourceware.org
* good work, JUnit help
@ 2003-08-04 15:17 Jonathan LaCour
From: Jonathan LaCour @ 2003-08-04 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eclipse

Greetings,

Good work on the native compiled version of Eclipse!  I am required to
use Eclipse at work, and I have been really frustrated with how
terribly slow and crashy it is.  I installed your version, and its much
better in terms of speed, and it appears not to crash very often too.

But, I have a problem when I try to run a JUnit test, it errors out
with the following console message:

	Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Error:
	parameter '-port' not specified
		at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner
			.defaultInit(RemoteTestRunner.java:239)

If I get my unit tests working, then I will definitely be able to use
this on a daily basis.  Any idea how to fix this problem?

  - Jonathan LaCour

* Re: good work, JUnit help
@ 2003-08-04 18:59 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2003-08-04 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan LaCour; +Cc: eclipse

Jonathan> But, I have a problem when I try to run a JUnit test, it errors out
Jonathan> with the following console message:

I don't think I've tried that yet.

Could you post the full stack trace?  Usually it ends up in
workspace/.metadata/.log.  That might be useful.

Anyway, an entry in the RH bugzilla would be useful.  Something like
this has a pretty good chance of actually being fixed.

Jonathan> If I get my unit tests working, then I will definitely be
Jonathan> able to use this on a daily basis.  Any idea how to fix this
Jonathan> problem?

Sometimes these things represent real gcj bugs.  So then it is just
the usual debug-fix cycle.  You can use gdb on eclipse, though it
isn't always that easy -- gdb's support for both gcj and
.so-using-applications is pretty weak :-(

The situation is much worse if the code in question is not compiled.
In that case the debugging is really hard; you have to step through
the bytecode interpreter by hand, look at the `jcf-dump' output, and
map that back to the source code.  Debugging prints are easier...

Tom

* Re: good work, JUnit help
@ 2003-08-04 19:15   ` Jonathan LaCour
From: Jonathan LaCour @ 2003-08-04 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: eclipse

Tom,

> Could you post the full stack trace?  Usually it ends up in
> workspace/.metadata/.log.  That might be useful.

I looked in the workspace/.metadata directory, and found no such file
".log".  The error message doesn't go to the "console" that I am
running eclipse from, but actually into the "console" view inside
Eclipse.  So, there actually isn't any error printed to the .log file I
don't believe.

I have temporarily reverted back to the old version of Eclipse so that
I can get some work done, otherwise I would do some further debugging.
No time for that at work, you know =)

> Anyway, an entry in the RH bugzilla would be useful.  Something like
> this has a pretty good chance of actually being fixed.

I would be more than happy to put such an entry in, but some guidance
on how to do so would be helpful.  You might be able to get more
information than I if you tried running a unit test yourself.

Thanks for the hint!  Great job thus far.

  - Jon