public inbox for ecos-devel@sourceware.org
* Suggest some project idea for our contribution to eCos community
@ 2005-01-06 10:28 Devendra
From: Devendra @ 2005-01-06 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-devel

We are a group of 3 students studying in the final year of Computer
Engineering. We are looking for some smaller project/assignment for our
Embedded Systems course. Since we have a moderate working knowledge of
eCos and its internals we would like to do some eCos development. We can
spend around 100 hours per person for this task. Could you please
suggest us some project ideas?

--
~ Devendr@...

* Re: Suggest some project idea for our contribution to eCos community
@ 2005-01-06 10:49 `
From:  @ 2005-01-06 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devendra, ecos-devel

Hello!

I am also working on my final project of Electronic and Computers
Engineering.
And my final project also is developed in eCos.
I'm developing a generic embedded system that is supposed to provide all
kinds of remote access to it.
Serial port, ethernet and webserver are the main issues.... but Bluetooth is
my main purpose... although it is very hard to port a bluetooth stack into
eCos. But I am working on it....

If you want so, we can exchange some ideas.

Thanks.

Gonçalo Antunes.
gmma@gmma.net
Portugal..

@ 2005-01-07 10:30   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2005-01-07 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Neundorf, Alexander, ecos-devel, Devendra

Andrew Lunn wrote:
[...]
>>-I heard that there must have been some GUI memory layout tool in
>>ecos 1.x which hasn't made it to 2.x, work on this one
>

> Humm, that could be useful, although i suspect it will be painfull to
> adopt. Its been dead for too long and i many of the current .mlt files
> are broken.

There was a reason this was not carried over to 2.0. It is also a lot
more work than the 7.5 weeks offered so unfortunately this had to be
dropped.

It is still on our eCosCentric todo list, though at a low priority.

-- Alex

* Re: Suggest some project idea for our contribution to eCos community
@ 2005-01-07  8:34 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-01-07  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neundorf, Alexander; +Cc: ecos-devel, Devendra

> How about these:
>
> -implement unicode for microwindows

Not really an embedded systems project, more of a computer graphics
project.

> -I heard that there must have been some GUI memory layout tool in
> ecos 1.x which hasn't made it to 2.x, work on this one

Humm, that could be useful, although i suspect it will be painfull to
adopt. Its been dead for too long and i many of the current .mlt files
are broken.

> -work on kernel instrumentation, the docs say it will be improved
> and host-side tools will be implemented somewhen in the future, but
> it hasn't happened yet (AFAIK)

There is already a very basic tool. I wrote it. But a less cryptic
tool would definiately help. This would also give a good insight as to
what actually goes on inside an RTOS. I like this idea. Take a look at
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/kernel-instrumentation.html

and

http://ecos.sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ecos/packages/kernel/current/host/instr/readme.txt?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain&cvsroot=ecos

        Andrew

* Re: Suggest some project idea for our contribution to eCos community
@ 2005-01-06 17:32 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-01-06 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neundorf, Alexander; +Cc: Devendra, ecos-devel

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 05:15:32PM +0100, Neundorf, Alexander wrote:
> > -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
> > Von: ecos-devel-owner@sources.redhat.com
> > [mailto:ecos-devel-owner@sources.redhat.com]Im Auftrag von Devendra
> >
> > We are a group of 3 students studying in the final year of Computer
> > Engineering. We are looking for some smaller
> > project/assignment for our
> > Embedded Systems course. Since we have a moderate working knowledge of
> > eCos and its internals we would like to do some eCos
> > development. We can
> > spend around 100 hours per person for this task. Could you please
> > suggest us some project ideas?
>

> Bluetooth, SD-card (some simplified specs are available freely),
> vfat, ftp-server, smb-server/client, maybe CORBA (ACO/TAO), USB
> host/OTG support, WLAN, ....

Come on Alex. These are three final year Computer Engineering students
with 100 hours each. The only thing you listed that would be possible
is the ftp-server. The rest are huge project that requires lots of
knowledge, which a typical student does not have.

Two more sensible suggestions:

There was recently two contributions of a pipe device, which
implements something very similar to Unix FIFO's and a pseudo tty
device. Im in the process of cleaning them up and committing
them. What would be useful is to write an ssh daemon and telnet daemon
which sits on top of the master side of the pty. The problem with this
tasks is there is little to do with actually embedded hardware. So you
supervisor may reject the ideas.

        Andrew