public inbox for ecos-devel@sourceware.org
* Re: eCos for Renesas EDOSK-2674
@ 2004-04-08  5:56 Uwe Kindler
From: Uwe Kindler @ 2004-04-08  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-devel; +Cc: jifl

Hello Jonathan,

I have sent you the license agreement for EDOSK-2674 port. Please remove the EDOSK-2674 port from the "Work in progress" issue - it is finished now and completely documented. You can integrate it into eCos repository. A port for H8S/2357 is also available and a port for Renesas EDK/2638 including CAN drivers is currently under development.

> If you think you're close to contributing it back to the eCos source base
> we'd just need to get a copyright assignment sorted out as per
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/assign.html so it might be nice to get that
> formality out of the way as it can take time to arrange.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jifl
Der WEB.DE Virenschutz schuetzt Ihr Postfach vor dem Wurm Sober.A-F!
Kostenfrei fuer FreeMail Nutzer. http://f.web.de/?mc=021158

* Re: eCos for Renesas EDOSK-2674
@ 2004-04-08  7:34 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-04-08  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kindler; +Cc: ecos-devel, jifl

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:55:54AM +0200, Uwe Kindler wrote:
> Hello Jonathan,

> I have sent you the license agreement for EDOSK-2674 port. Please
> remove the EDOSK-2674 port from the "Work in progress" issue - it is
> finished now and completely documented. You can integrate it into
> eCos repository.

Just to make sure i've got this correct, you are referring to the
patches from Yoshinori Sato on the 04th March? These patches were
committed on Monday.

> A port for H8S/2357 is also available and a port
> for Renesas EDK/2638 including CAN drivers is currently under
> development.

Where can i find these? They don't seem to be in the ecos-patches
archive.

      Andrew

* Re: eCos for Renesas EDOSK-2674
@ 2004-04-08 12:07 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-04-08 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kindler; +Cc: andrew, ecos-devel

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:01:55AM +0200, Uwe Kindler wrote:
> Hello
>
> > Just to make sure i've got this correct, you are referring to the
> > patches from Yoshinori Sato on the 04th March? These patches were
> > committed on Monday.
>
> No, I referring to the EDOSK-2674 port available here:
>
> http://www.htwm.de/ukindler/ecos

Ok. It better to send patches to the list. Anything else tends to get
lost, which is what happened here.

> I developed this port because when I started using eCos the
> EDOSK-2674 port of Yoshinori Sato was very buggy and not well
> documented.  I also did not agree with making the EDOSK port part of
> H8300 architecture.

Now we have a problem. We don't want two ports for the same device in
the tree. My suggestion would be for you to work with Yoshinori and
merge the two ports into one. Then post the patches to the
ecos-patches list.

Please not you have different copyright assignments. Your is to
eCosCentric while Yoshinori is to RedHat. Make sure the copyright
notice on each file states the correct copyright holds.

       Andrew

* Re: eCos for Renesas EDOSK-2674
@ 2004-04-08  9:02 Uwe Kindler
From: Uwe Kindler @ 2004-04-08  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew; +Cc: ecos-devel

Hello

> Just to make sure i've got this correct, you are referring to the
> patches from Yoshinori Sato on the 04th March? These patches were
> committed on Monday.

No, I referring to the EDOSK-2674 port available here:

http://www.htwm.de/ukindler/ecos

I developed this port because when I started using eCos the EDOSK-2674 port of Yoshinori Sato
was very buggy and not well documented.  I also did not agree with making the EDOSK port part
of H8300 architecture.

The new EDOSK-2674 port is well documented, tested (suceeded the ecos tests) and based on
new H8S architecture.

Regards, Uwe

Der WEB.DE Virenschutz schuetzt Ihr Postfach vor dem Wurm Netsky.A-P!
Kostenfrei fuer alle FreeMail Nutzer. http://f.web.de/?mc=021157

* Re: eCos for Renesas EDOSK-2674
@ 2004-02-17  9:29         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-02-17  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Uwe Kindler, ecos-devel

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>In the current sources, things like the idle thread stack are defined as:
>

>>static char
>>idle_thread_stack[CYGNUM_KERNEL_CPU_MAX][CYGNUM_KERNEL_THREADS_IDLE_STACK_SIZE]
>>
>>  CYGBLD_ATTRIB_ALIGN(CYGARC_ALIGNMENT);
>>
>>The last bit maps to __attribute__((align(CYGARC_ALIGNMENT))).
>

> No its not. At least not the current anoncvs sources. Are you sure you
> don't have some uncommitted patches applied Jifl?

Indeed that was the issue - but it's part of a larger set of changes and
not ready to go in. I thought I had sent that here last night, but Uwe went
off-list and I didn't notice. Sorry.

Jifl
Visit us at Embedded World 2004, Nürnberg, Germany, 17-19 Feb, Stand 12-449

* Re: eCos for Renesas EDOSK-2674
@ 2004-02-17  8:16       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-02-17  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Uwe Kindler, ecos-devel

@ 2004-02-17  7:39       ` Larice Robert
From: Larice Robert @ 2004-02-17  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-devel

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> Hi Uwe,

> In the current sources, things like the idle thread stack are defined as:
> static char
> idle_thread_stack[CYGNUM_KERNEL_CPU_MAX][CYGNUM_KERNEL_THREADS_IDLE_STACK_SIZE]
>
>    CYGBLD_ATTRIB_ALIGN(CYGARC_ALIGNMENT);
>
> The last bit maps to __attribute__((align(CYGARC_ALIGNMENT))).

Hello Jonathan Larmour,

  i'm surprised, i just looked at the sources via
    http://ecos.sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/?cvsroot=ecos
    file  kernel/current/src/common/thread.cxx
  and can't find this CYGBLD_ATTRIB_ALIGN

  could you tell me where i can find it ?

thank you very much,

  Robert Larice

* Re: eCos for Renesas EDOSK-2674
@ 2004-02-16 20:51     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-02-16 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kindler; +Cc: ecos-devel

Hi Uwe,

Uwe Kindler wrote:

>>Have you got any closer to the point when you feel you could contribute it
>>back officially? I see you're still activiely developing it, but I don't
>>have a feel for whether you think it's done yet.
>

> Status of EDOSK-2674 port.
>
> Last week the port passed the eCos test suite. A protocol of all executed
> tests is available on my homepage
> http://www.htwm.de/ukindler/ecos or directly here
> http://www.htwm.de/~ukindler/ecos/ecos_test_protocol.htm
> The tests (execept the dhrystone, tm_basic and serial tests) where executed
> with assertions enabled. No alignment errors, stack violations or any other
> assertion failures occured. So the port seems to be quite stable now and the
> patched toolchain seems to work well.
>
> The documentation is not finished and the ethernet drivers are not tested
> (eCos tests for ethernet drivers have not been executed) but console output
> and debugging over TCP/IP with RedBoot works fine so the driver seems to be
> o.k.

That's okay. I'm not pressuring at all, I was just partly curious, and
partly just checking whether it was done and ready to go in :-).

> In order to use the port the toolchain from my homepage is required. The
> latest patches from Yoshinori Sato and from me have been applied in order to
> enable building of math library.

We should do something to make sure toolchain patches needed by this port
are recorded somewhere - probably checked in to a "misc" directory in the
hal arch package.

> I created an additional patch wich
> introduces a new compiler switch -mecos. This switch forces an alignment of
> all one- and multidimensional arrays with an alignment < 4 byte to a 4 byte
> boundary. This is required in order to avoid problems with char arrays used
> as thread stacks (like the idle thread stack).

In the current sources, things like the idle thread stack are defined as:
static char
idle_thread_stack[CYGNUM_KERNEL_CPU_MAX][CYGNUM_KERNEL_THREADS_IDLE_STACK_SIZE]

   CYGBLD_ATTRIB_ALIGN(CYGARC_ALIGNMENT);

The last bit maps to __attribute__((align(CYGARC_ALIGNMENT))).

Perhaps the real problem is that gcc isn't implementing
__attribute__((align(X))) correctly? There shouldn't be a need for a
special switch.

>>If you think you're close to contributing it back to the eCos source base
>>we'd just need to get a copyright assignment
>

> I sent the signed copyright assignment to eCosCentric today.

Excellent thanks. That was the bit I was most concerned about getting out
of the way! Getting the disclaimer part signed by an employer can be a
struggle sometimes.

@ 2004-02-16 13:40   ` Uwe Kindler
From: Uwe Kindler @ 2004-02-16 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-devel; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour

Hello Jonathan,

thank you for your reply.

> Have you got any closer to the point when you feel you could contribute it
> back officially? I see you're still activiely developing it, but I don't
> have a feel for whether you think it's done yet.

Status of EDOSK-2674 port.

Last week the port passed the eCos test suite. A protocol of all executed
tests is available on my homepage
http://www.htwm.de/ukindler/ecos or directly here
http://www.htwm.de/~ukindler/ecos/ecos_test_protocol.htm
The tests (execept the dhrystone, tm_basic and serial tests) where executed
with assertions enabled. No alignment errors, stack violations or any other
assertion failures occured. So the port seems to be quite stable now and the
patched toolchain seems to work well.

The documentation is not finished and the ethernet drivers are not tested
(eCos tests for ethernet drivers have not been executed) but console output
and debugging over TCP/IP with RedBoot works fine so the driver seems to be
o.k.

In order to use the port the toolchain from my homepage is required. The
latest patches from Yoshinori Sato and from me have been applied in order to
enable building of math library. I created an additional patch wich
introduces a new compiler switch -mecos. This switch forces an alignment of
all one- and multidimensional arrays with an alignment < 4 byte to a 4 byte
boundary. This is required in order to avoid problems with char arrays used
as thread stacks (like the idle thread stack).

> If you think you're close to contributing it back to the eCos source base
> we'd just need to get a copyright assignment

I sent the signed copyright assignment to eCosCentric today.

Best Regards,

Uwe Kindler

* Re: eCos for Renesas EDOSK-2674
@ 2004-02-11  2:40 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-02-11  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kindler; +Cc: ecos-devel

Uwe Kindler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the eCos port for Renesas EDOSK-2674 board including all drivers (Flash,
> Serial, Ethernet,Wallclock and Watchdog) , Redboot images and a precompiled
> GNUH8 toolchain for Cygwin is available for download from this webpage
> http://www.htwm.de/ukindler/ecos
>
> The port is still under development and may contain bugs. A lot of the eCos
> test were executed successfully already but there is still some work to do.
> Support and bug reports are welcome. A detailed documentation about the port
> will follow soon.

Sorry for not acknowledging your mail earlier. This looks like good stuff.
Have you got any closer to the point when you feel you could contribute it
back officially? I see you're still activiely developing it, but I don't
have a feel for whether you think it's done yet.

If you think you're close to contributing it back to the eCos source base
we'd just need to get a copyright assignment sorted out as per
http://ecos.sourceware.org/assign.html so it might be nice to get that
formality out of the way as it can take time to arrange.

Thanks!

Jifl
Visit us at Embedded World 2004, Nürnberg, Germany, 17-19 Feb, Stand 12-449

* eCos for Renesas EDOSK-2674
@ 2003-12-19  8:40 Uwe Kindler