public inbox for ecos-devel@sourceware.org
* TCL stubs library
@ 2008-08-19 18:58 Sergei Gavrikov
From: Sergei Gavrikov @ 2008-08-19 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos devel list

Hello

FYI:

  1. http://www.tcl.tk/doc/howto/stubs.html
  2. http://wiki.tcl.tk/285

RFC:

If I could understand this howto properly, we can forget about the Tcl/Tk
differences when compile libcdl and link ecosconfig. What do we need?
We have to link ecosconfig using some version of tclstub, -ltclstub8.X.

Sergei

* Re: TCL stubs library
@ 2008-08-20 16:03 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2008-08-20 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergei Gavrikov; +Cc: ecos-devel

    Sergei> Hello
    Sergei> FYI:

    Sergei>   1. http://www.tcl.tk/doc/howto/stubs.html
    Sergei>   2. http://wiki.tcl.tk/285

    Sergei> RFC:

    Sergei> If I could understand this howto properly, we can forget
    Sergei> about the Tcl/Tk differences when compile libcdl and link
    Sergei> ecosconfig. What do we need? We have to link ecosconfig
    Sergei> using some version of tclstub, -ltclstub8.X.

That would assume that everybody builds and installs the stub support
correctly. I am rather sceptical about that.

I hope that the current host-side configury will keep us going for a
number of years. If we run into problems again then I would be tempted
to import the Tcl sources into the eCos host-side source tree and
build a known good version, much as the gdb folks do. That would avoid
the problems we have seen with different Tcl installations on
different systems. However it would impose another maintenance burden
in the form of keeping that import up to date.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                                   eCos Configuration Architect
eCosCentric Limited    The eCos experts      http://www.ecoscentric.com/

* Re: TCL stubs library
@ 2008-08-20 17:06   ` Sergei Gavrikov
From: Sergei Gavrikov @ 2008-08-20 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Veer; +Cc: ecos-devel

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 05:02:45PM +0100, Bart Veer wrote:
> I hope that the current host-side configury will keep us going for a
> number of years. If we run into problems again then I would be tempted
> to import the Tcl sources into the eCos host-side source tree and
> build a known good version, much as the gdb folks do. That would avoid
> the problems we have seen with different Tcl installations on
> different systems. However it would impose another maintenance burden
> in the form of keeping that import up to date.

I profess that you are right. I am rapt a nowaday build proccess the
eCos host tools for Linux. I am lucky what I have no needs to do it on
other OS. I oftentimes think, What is better for Windows users: cygwin
or ... eCos VMWare Virtual Appliance http://www.vmware.com/appliances/
for getting started with eCos? I have an answer :)

Thank you,

Sergei